Club/Org Athletic Activities COVID-19 Guidelines
In addition to the Club/Org COVID-19 Guidelines, Recreational Sport Clubs and other clubs engaging in athletic activities should observe the following. Please note that these are subject to change at any time; major updates will be communicated to club/org leaders.
- Outdoor recreation is encouraged – engage outside whenever possible. Outdoor spaces should be reserved for club/org activities via events.bates.edu.
- Social distancing of at least six feet and masking must be observed at all times.
- Activities that could result in person-to-person body contact are not permitted.
- Clubs/orgs may conduct outdoor group activities without wearing face coverings as long as physical distancing of 14 feet is maintained. Individuals should still have a mask with them and wear the mask when they are not engaging in strenuous activity.
Please consider the following recommendations prior to engaging in physical activity while wearing a face covering:
- Ensure your face covering is comfortable and secure prior to engaging in physical activity. Avoid touching your face and limit touching/adjusting your face covering during physical activity as much as possible.
- Carry a second face covering with you and replace face coverings when they become damp/wet while engaging in physical activity.
- Try to utilize a face covering with two layers that is made from breathable, synthetic materials as they can help lessen moisture buildup compared to surgical, paper, or cotton fabric face coverings and those with more than two layers.
- STOP physical activity or take a break if breathing becomes difficult. Aim to perform higher intensity exercises outdoors or in areas with greater physical distancing opportunities.
- If you have existing heart or lung conditions, decrease the intensity of your typical physical activity and stop immediately if breathing becomes difficult or you feel dizzy, lightheaded, or sick.
- After physical activity, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water. Once in a safe and proper setting to do so, remove your face covering by only touching the back or straps and avoid touching your face.
- Wash your face covering after each use if it is reusable cloth or discard single use face coverings.
For information on using Bates athletic facilities, please visit this page.