The following are based on the college’s COVID-19 policies, and should be followed for all club/org activities, including meetings and events/programs. Please contact Campus Life if you have questions regarding how to implement them.
Please note that these guidelines are subject to change at any time. Major updates will be communicated to club/org leaders as soon as they are posted.
Last updated: March 8, 2022: Updated guidelines to come in line with college COVID policies communicated on 03/07/22.
- 09.08.20: Updated the “Performing Clubs” section
- 09.25.20: Added the “Virtual Activities” section
- 08.24.21: Updated guidelines for the start of the fall 2021 semester.
- 10.19.21: Updated Visitors and Performing Clubs sections to come in line with the recent updates to the campus visitor policy.
- 10.25.21: Updated Food guidelines.
- 01.03.22: Updated guidelines to come in line with college COVID policies communicated on 12/29/21.
- 01.14.22: Updated guidelines to come in line with college COVID policies communicated on 01/14/22.
- 02.09.22: Updated guidelines to come in line with college COVID policies communicated on 02/04/22.
College COVID-19 Policies
Personal Protective Measures
- Physical distancing of at least three feet must be possible among individuals at all times.
- The college’s current face covering policy must be observed at all club/org activities.
- Weather/season permitting, clubs/orgs are strongly encouraged to host their meetings and events/programs in outdoor spaces to help reduce the possibility of community transmission of COVID-19.
- Clubs/orgs must use the Event Management System (EMS), found at events.bates.edu, to reserve space for in-person meetings and events. If a space is not listed in EMS, please contact Campus Life for guidance.
- Note that due to anticipated demand for campus spaces, there may be limits as to how frequently a club/org may reserve a space.
- The general capacity of campus spaces may be found at events.bates.edu. Note that based on the nature of your event/program, its actual capacity may differ. Contact Campus Life for guidance.
- In-person events/programs must be ticketed via RSVP on Bates Engage to ensure capacity may be maintained. Bates Engage must be used to check attendees in for the purpose of contact tracing. If external visitors are permitted, Eventbrite must be used, as Bates Engage does not allow non-Bates community members access to tickets.
- Limits may be placed on the number of tickets an individual can reserve to ensure as many individuals as possible are able to experience an event/program.
- In-person club/org meetings do not have to be ticketed, but attendance must be taken for the purposes of contact tracing.
Social dances may not be held due to increased potential for COVID-19 transmission.
Dance-related clubs may practice and perform indoors or outdoors, provided that the remainder of these guidelines are followed.
- Food should be provided at club/org activities only when needful (e.g., long club/org meeting, religious and/or cultural observances, etc.) due to the risk of transmission of COVID-19 when unmasked.
- It is highly encouraged that food be served only at outdoor club/org activities.
- Food is possible at indoor club/org activities, provided attendees remain masked at all times except when eating, remain seated while eating, and the event space is set up to allow attendees to be distant from others when eating, if they so desire.
- Food may not be catered from non-Bates vendors at club/org activities. That is, non-Bates vendors may not come to campus to serve food. Food may be picked up from or delivered by non-Bates vendors for consumption at events/programs.
- Bates College Catering is available to provide food for your outdoor event/program on a limited basis. You may find more information about how to request Catering and the Catering Request Form here.
- Club/org overnight travel and travel outside of the state of Maine are not permitted.
- Day trips are possible to Maine destinations. Trip planners are reminded to ensure that trip attendees are masked at all times when off campus.
- Day trip requests must be submitted at least ten days in advance of the trip date to email@example.com. Clubs that are not approved for travel by Campus Life may not use club funds on travel expenses or related activities.
Students actively participating in a performance (i.e. on the stage) may be unmasked while participating in an indoor performance, but must remain masked at all other times (i.e. off-stage, between sets). For those productions involving singing, brass and/or woodwind instruments, there should be at least 12 feet between the front of the stage and where people are seated, which may result in some rows of seating not being used.
Recreational Sport Clubs and Athletic Activities
- Outdoor recreation is encouraged – engage outside whenever possible. Outdoor spaces should be reserved for club/org activities via events.bates.edu.
If you choose to wear a face covering while engaging in physical activity, please consider the following recommendations:
- Ensure your face covering is comfortable and secure prior to engaging in physical activity. Avoid touching your face and limit touching/adjusting your face covering during physical activity as much as possible.
- Carry a second face covering with you and replace face coverings when they become damp/wet while engaging in physical activity.
- Try to utilize a face covering with two layers that is made from breathable, synthetic materials as they can help lessen moisture buildup compared to surgical, paper, or cotton fabric face coverings and those with more than two layers.
- STOP physical activity or take a break if breathing becomes difficult.
- If you have existing heart or lung conditions, decrease the intensity of your typical physical activity and stop immediately if breathing becomes difficult or you feel dizzy, lightheaded, or sick.
- After physical activity, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water. Once in a safe and proper setting to do so, remove your face covering by only touching the back or straps and avoid touching your face.
- Wash your face covering after each use if it is reusable cloth or discard single use face coverings.
For information on using Bates athletic facilities, please visit this page.