Travel Policies, Forms and FAQs


Travel forms must be completed and signed by the student trip planner and a Campus Life staff member in advance of any overnight trip that an official Bates club or organization is considering.

There are two types of forms:

  • Travel Approval Form: This form should be submitted for all overnight trips that exceed $150.00 and/or more than 250 miles from the Bates campus

  • Travel Registration Form: This form is for trips that have a total cost of less than $150.00 and are less than 250 miles from the Bates campus

The purpose of completing the travel approval form:
  • Have a record of students traveling overnight or for an extended period of time as part of an officially recognized club/organization activity in the event of an emergency
  • For Clery reporting
  • To ensure that the activity has adequate funding and other appropriate resources to support the trip
  • To connect trip leaders with Campus Life staff should they have questions of concerns about the trip

Approval from the Office of Campus Life does not constitute the level of risk that is associated with trips. Assessment of risk for each trip remains the sole responsibility of the trip leaders. Student trip leaders are responsible for vetting proposed trips with the clubs’s respective treasurer and/or president of the club or organization sponsoring the trip.

Overnight trips that are not approved by the Office of Campus Life will not be recognized as a Bates College sponsored event and will therefore, not be the responsibility of Bates financially or otherwise. This includes:

  • Reimbursements
  • Cash advances
  • Charging event and travel expenses to the College/student club budget

Only currently enrolled students are eligible to participate in Bates sponsored/supported overnight trips, activities, and outings. Staff, faculty, coaches, official advisers, etc. may be eligible to participate if they are currently employed at Bates and/or serve in an official advising role recognized by the College.

How Trip Approval Works and Travel Forms

Travel FAQs

Need Additional Help?


If you have any comments, questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Campus Life at 207-786-6305 or via email,