Summary of recent fall 2020 information and resources for all Bates students
I know that the past few weeks have been challenging for many of you as you await more information to assist in making decisions about your plans for the coming year. I assure you that everyone at the college is working around the clock to complete planning at the college and so that we can provide you with information as quickly as possible to facilitate your ability to make informed decisions.
I write today as a follow-up to the email that I sent last Sunday, July 19. This week you received important information about five key issues, which many of you have been asking about:
- Student Public Health Agreement and Other Documents: On Monday, July 20, you received an email from Senior Associate Dean of Students Carl Steidel providing you with this information.
- Phased Return to Campus/Move-In: On Wednesday, July 22, you received an email from Assistant Director of Residential Operations Jessie Williams providing you with this information.
- COVID-19 Testing: On Thursday, July 23, you received an email from Director of the COVID-19 Testing Center and Assistant Athletic Director for Athletic Performance Nick Cooke providing you with this information.
- Schedule of Courses and Teaching Modes: Earlier today (Friday), the fall course schedule was posted showing all courses for the fall semester with their instructor-designated teaching modes. The teaching modes may be found in the course attributes attached to each course and are searchable on the Schedule search page in Garnet Gateway.
- Class Schedules: Earlier today (Friday), sophomores, juniors, and seniors (i.e., returning students) received an email from Registrar Mary Meserve providing information regarding fall class schedules. First-year students received their First-Year Seminar assignments on Wednesday and will be registering for their additional three fall courses next week.
We will continue to update the Fall 2020 website and share additional details as they become available.
Due to the impact of COVID-19 and our shared responsibility for taking necessary steps to help mitigate the transmission of COVID-19, we know that this is not the Bates experience many of you imagined for the fall semester. As a reminder, all students have three options for the fall: (1) return to campus where you will likely have a combination of in-person and remote learning experiences; (2) remain at home and take remote courses; or (3) request a leave of absence or gap semester / year.
For those considering whether or not returning to campus is the right decision for you, you may find it helpful to discuss your options with someone. To that end, I want to remind you of the resources available to help you make this decision:
- Student Support Advisors (SSA): Every student at Bates has a SSA who provides personal support and supplemental academic advising. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors can find their SSA in their Success Network on the BatesReach website. Incoming students will be assigned a SSA by Friday, July 31.
- Academic Advisors: For first-year students and sophomores who have not yet declared your major, your FYS instructor is your academic advisor. For students who have declared a major, your major advisor is your academic advisor. For students who do not have an academic advisor, the Dean of Faculty’s Office will be assigning someone who will contact you to discuss any questions you might have.
- Director of Student Support Lisa Hardej coordinates all leaves of absence for students who have already matriculated. She can advise sophomores, juniors, and seniors who may be considering a leave of absence for the semester or the year.
- Director of Admission Darryl Uy coordinates all gap year and semester deferral requests for incoming first-year students. He can advise incoming students who may be considering a gap year or semester deferral.
In addition to the email communications, website information, and individual meetings, we will hold another virtual information session for all students at 11 a.m. EDT, Thursday, July 30. Details will be forthcoming.
Finally, if your plans for the fall have changed since you completed the Fall Attendance Questionnaire, please contact Faith Hauger in Student Affairs at email@example.com.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we work together to create a new kind of student experience for the coming year.
All my best,
Vice President for Campus Life