Food Quality and Nutrition
In order to provide you with the best possible service, Bates Dining is committed to purchasing products of the highest quality.
Food Purchasing Quality
- We use only USDA Choice meats or better.
- We use pasteurized Grade A whole eggs-not powdered.
- We offer 1%, Skim and Whole Milk in our milk dispensers.
- The cottage cheese and yogurt offered are either low-fat or non-fat.
- We contract with local farmers whenever possible in order to provide the freshest products possible.
- We only use pure vegetable shortening, no animal fat.
- Our tuna is packed in water and is dolphin-safe.
Nutrition and Wellness
Being able to supply students with healthy, nutritious meal options is a priority of Bates Dining. To maintain this goal, we have developed means by which students are provided with healthy dining information in order to make the right choices about their dieting.
Menu Identification Cards
Look for labels on foods located on the grill, salad bar, pasta station, vegan station, brick oven, bakery and bobcat bar. These labels will indicate the types of food being served and whether they are fat-free, low-fat, non-fat, vegetarian, contain nuts, dairy, coconut, egg, fish, shellfish, soy, pork or are gluten friendly, etc.
Bates Dining realizes that some students are very determined to eat healthy. The Bates College Health Services is available on a regular basis for consultation about dieting, nutritious food decisions and any specific nutrition questions you may have. Please feel free to contact them at 786-6199.
Special Dietary Needs
If you have any food related issues or particular dietary needs, contact Kelly Perreault, Senior Administrative Coordinator for DCCE and Special Dietary Needs Liaison, at 786-6299 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service
- U.S. Consumer Information Center
- American Diabetes Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
Barber Foods, Coca-Cola, Hunts, Kellogg’s, Nabisco, Oakhurst, Quaker, Pepsi, Pillsbury, Tyson, etc.
Food Quality Questions
If you have any questions or concerns about product specifications, please call Cheryl Lacey, Director of Dining, at 786-8355 or via e-mail at email@example.com