2017-18 Consolidated Faculty & Chairs Deadlines & Meetings
THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION
The following meetings will be held as listed and the items are due by the dates noted. Please see the specific guidelines for submission.
- First Year Seminars begin at 9:00 AM
- Department/Program Chairs Retreat – 11:30 AM – 5:00 PM in Muskie 201
- Faculty to notify their dept/program chair of their 3-year plan of leaves and intent to apply for: Enhanced sabbatical, Leave of Absence, Phillips Fellowship, Pre-Tenure leave, Sabbatical, and Course reduction.
- Chairs to aggregate the individual 3-year plan of leaves.
- Dean of the Faculty’s office sends Chairs its record of faculty eligible for leaves for the next three years.
- Dean of the Faculty’s office send Chairs information about the Lectureships eligible for renewal.
September 5: Personnel letters due for promotion and/or lecturers
September 6: Convocation at 11:00 AM in the Historic Quad
September 6: Fall ’17 semester begins
September 11: Faculty meeting in Pettengill G52 (Keck), 4:15 pm, with reception immediately following at President Spencer’s house
- Chairs submit electronically their aggregate 3-year plan of leaves and course reductions spreadsheet to DOF.
- Faculty submit on-line Phillips Faculty Fellowship applications.
September 20: Last day for fall semester registration adjustments (adds) for all students – instructor permission is required.
September 27: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
September 30: New Faculty submit their course proposals for Winter 2018 on Garnet Gateway.
- Faculty submit Extra Cost Short Term proposals with approval from Chairs to the Off-Campus Study office for review by the Off-Campus Study Committee.
- DOF sends Chairs an updated, final list of anticipated 3-year plan of leaves
October 7 – 9: Back to Bates: Homecoming and Parents and Family Weekend
October 2: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives, Rm 201.
- Faculty submit their Extra-Cost Short Term course for approval using the online course proposal system in Garnet Gateway (under the Course Maintenance menu).
- Faculty submit Short Term 2018 new course proposals, due REGISTRAR
- Chairs submit electronically their Intent to submit a full proposal for authorization of a faculty position via the Intent to Apply form
October 18 – 22: Fall Recess
October 23-24: Board of Trustees fall meeting
October 25: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
October 28: Last day for withdrawal from fall semester courses (drops) for all students.
October 29 – Nov 4: Registration for winter semester
- Personal letters due for tenure
- Faculty submit an electronic application for Enhanced sabbatical, Sabbatical, Leave of Absence, Pre-tenure leave or Course reduction.
- Chairs submit an electronic request for Replacements and Additional courses for faculty receiving Phillips Fellowships or applying for an Enhanced sabbatical, Sabbatical, Pre-tenure leave, Leave of absence, and Course reduction.
- Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives, Rm 201. Phillips Dinner and Presentation immediately following in Benjamin Mays Center.
- Draft Short Term 2018 schedule available for faculty to review.
- Faculty submit proposal for new Fall 2017 FYSs to REGISTRAR.
- Chairs send titles and instructors of First-Year Seminars to Margaret Imber (email@example.com). Questions on satisfying the W1 requirement for FYS courses can be directed to Daniel Sanford (firstname.lastname@example.org).
November 18 – 26: Thanksgiving recess
- Chairs submit corrections to the draft Short Term 2018 schedule to REGISTRAR.
- Faculty submit petitions for Winter 2018 semester courses to REGISTRAR.
November 29: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives, Rm 201
- Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives, Rm 201. Phillips Fellowship Dinner and Presentation immediately following in Commons 221/222.
- Winter 2018 registration adjustment period (add/drop) opens for all students.
December 8: Classes end, fall semester, 4:00 PM
- Final examinations begin, 8:00 AM
- Chairs submit operating budget requests and capital requests to DOF (email@example.com) and Budget office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
December 13: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie, Rm 201
December 16: Final examinations end, 12:30 PM
December 17 – January 7: Holiday recess
December 29: Faculty submit Fall 2016 final grades to REGISTRAR
- (Chairs) Grids available in Garnet Gateway for Fall 2016, Winter 2017, and Short Term 2017; AY2017-18 Course planning also available in Garnet Gateway.
- Classes begin, winter semester, 8:00 AM
- Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives. Phillips Fellowship Dinner and Presentation immediately following in Commons 221/222.
- Returning Faculty submit proposals for new courses for Fall 2017, Winter 2018, and Short Term 2018 on Garnet Gateway – due REGISTRAR.
- Registrar sends 2017-18 Catalog matter to Chairs and concentration coordinators for review and revision.
January 16: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – workshops take the place of classes
- Last day for winter semester registration adjustments (adds) for all students – instructor permission is required.
- Chairs submit Fall 2017, Winter 2018, and Short Term 2018 grids, including FYS instructors and titles to the Registrar on Garnet Gateway.
- Chairs notify DOF (email@example.com) no later than January 31st of their plans for replacing positions and courses (i.e. broad search, rehire, etc.)
January 31: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/2222
January 28 – February 3: (Students) registration for Short Term off-campus and alternate date courses.
- Chairs submit electronically Full proposal for faculty positions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chairs submit Lectureship Position Authorization Request form to DOF email@example.com
- Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives, Rm 201
- (Students) deadline to confirm off-campus study (including all study abroad) for AY2017-18.
- Draft Fall 2017 and Winter 2018 schedules available for faculty to review.
- Personnel letters due for reappointment
February 17 – 25: Winter recess
February 19: Chairs submit corrections to the draft Fall 2017 and Winter 2018 schedules – due REGISTRAR
February 28: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
March 3: Last day for withdrawal from winter semester courses (drops) for all students
March 4 – 10: (Students) Registration for on-campus Short Term and Fall semester
March 5: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives, Rm 201
March 15: Chairs and concentration coordinators send 2018-19 catalog revisions to REGISTRAR
March 23: Mt. David Summit
March 25: Faculty submit student petitions for Fall 2018 semester courses to REGISTRAR
March 28: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie, Rm 201
March 28: (Students) Short Term 2018 and Fall 2018 registration adjustment (add/drop) opens
- Notification of approved authorizations
- Faculty submit applications for additional faculty travel funds to Jason Scheideman.
April 2: Faculty meeting, 4:15 PM in Muskie Archives, Rm 201
April 6: Classes end, Winter semester, 4:00 PM
April 10: Final examinations begin, 8:00 AM
April 14: Final examinations end, 12:30 PM
April 15 – 22: Spring recess
April 23: Classes begin, Short Term 2017, 8:00 AM
April 25: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
- Faculty submit final grades for Winter 2018 to REGISTRAR
- (Students) Last day for Short Term 2018 registration adjustments (adds)
April 28: (Students) Last day for withdrawal from Short Term 2018 courses (drops)
- Faculty submit your field(s) of expertise keywords into grid & forward to Lori Ouellette
May 7: Faculty meeting 12:00 Noon in Commons 221/222
May 17: Department/Program Chairs meeting, 4:15 PM in Commons 221/222
- Last possible due date for Winter 2018 deferred grades for seniors – REGISTRAR
- Classes end, Short Term 2018, 4:00 PM
- Deadline to notify Registrar’s office of any senior failing a Short Term 2018 course,12:00 PM
May 28: Commencement – Class of 2017
June 7: Faculty to submit final grades for Short Term 2017 to REGISTRAR
June 10-12: Reunion Weekend (Class of 1961 being celebrated)
June 15: Faculty submit Professional Activities Report (PAR) to Alison Keegan
June 30: Fiscal Year End – Faculty and Chairs submit all invoices to Accounting Office.
August 15: Chairs send electronically their departmental/program Annual Reports to Meg Gresh