Travel, Visitors, and Budgets
Is college sponsored travel allowed?
- The college has published a travel policy (see the Travel section of this document) that covers all employees. In accordance with it, we will suspend the professional travel fund for the year, unless circumstances change. Additionally, the Bates Faculty Development Fund cannot fund any professional travel until the colleges’ travel policy changes.
What about personal travel?
- We ask faculty to use prudence in their personal travel, and to follow all state guidance governing travel.
Visitors to Bates’ Campus
Are visitors allowed at Bates in the 2020-21 academic year?
- Bates policy (see the visitors to campus policy on this page) does not allow visitors in campus buildings except in specific and rare circumstances. Please contact Áslaug Ásgeirsdóttir (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you teach in the divisions of Natural Sciences and Mathematics and Social Sciences or Krista Aronson (email@example.com) if you teach in the divisions of Humanities and Interdisciplinary Studies for more information.
Academic Unit Budgets
What is the status for department/program budgets in the 2020-21 academic year?
- Department/program budgets will be available to fund faculty teaching. However, we expect reductions to budgets this year, and the extent of those reductions will depend on the college’s financial outlook that will become more clear later this summer. As soon as the scope of the budgetary challenges are known, the Dean of Faculty will work with chairs of academic units to find solutions to any shortfalls.
Will we be able to purchase food for department and program functions?
- The college will suspend the purchase of food from both catering and outside vendors for the 2020-21 academic year.
Will departments and programs be able to pay for visitors next academic year?
- The college will not fund outside speakers and seminars in the 2020-21 academic year.