First Year Advising – Best Practices for Course Registration
This page is meant to help members of the Bates faculty who serve as instructors and advisors in First-Year Registration. Your mileage may vary.
- The Ideal First Year Schedule
- General Education Requirements
- Credit for AP, IB and A-Level Courses
- Bates Placement Tests
- Physical Education Requirement
- FAQs on Science courses and programs
- FAQs on Digital and Computational Studies
- FAQs on Language courses and programs
- The Registration Process and Schedule (and technical issues)
Mary Meserve and colleagues in the registrar’s office are on duty. Phone number 207-755-5949, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Blake Reilly in Student Affairs is available at 207-755-5979 or via email at email@example.com. For issues logging in, ask them to call the Help Desk at 207-786-8222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (including screenshots is incredibly helpful.) If calling, let them know they may need to leave a message – in their message, they should include their name, contact information, and a clear description of the question they have.
The website for First-Year Student Orientation is: https://www.bates.edu/orientation/.