Insurance information

Insurance coverage for Bates Fall Semester Abroad Programs

Insurance falls into four broad categories:

  • Personal health
  • Liability (including automobile accident liability and collision)
  • Rental vehicles
  • Emergency assistance

Personal Health Insurance

The faculty health insurance policies provided by the College through Aetna provide coverage in most circumstances in most countries. Faculty should contact Brenda Sawyer or Heather Taylor in Human Resources to determine whether they need a separate “out of area plan” for the location of the unit. Similar to students, the faculty should take the telephone and policy numbers of their health insurance policy and their primary physician with them. (Be sure to take the regular long-distance numbers since toll-free numbers do not apply from abroad.) Faculty who are insured through other policies should contact these companies to confirm coverage in the countries included in the unit.

All Bates students are required to have comprehensive health insurance coverage, either through Bates or their family. The Bates plan applies to study abroad. Claim forms and other information may be obtained from the Cross Insurance web pages. For advice on the insurance process you can call Doris Ducharme, the insurance coordinator in Health Services at 207-786-6199. Students with their own insurance must confirm that it applies abroad. Students provide the name of their insurance company, policy number, and telephone number on the Student Information and Health Form. Companies that provide policies specifically for study abroad are listed on that form.

In most cases, it is necessary to pay for medical expenses out of personal or unit funds and then to seek reimbursement through the injured individual’s insurance company. The key to successful reimbursement is thorough documentation, with the patient’s name, date, procedure(s), administering physician, clinic or hospital address, payment, and exchange rate on every bill.  (Payments by credit card confirm the payment, date, and exchange rate.)

Liability insurance

The college’s General Liability and Foreign Liability Insurance policies cover Bates employees participating on college sponsored activities. These policies are also purchased through Cross Insurance. Coverage includes general liability, automobile accident liability, and employment related injuries. The automobile coverage requires that the faculty member purchase the “minimum required” liability insurance required in that country. This minimum should always be purchased.  Conversely, there is no need to purchase the insurance if there is no minimum requirement. When in doubt, you should purchase $500,000 of liability coverage. Students are covered under the automobile liability provisions of this policy only if an emergency exists which prevents a college employee from driving.

Rental car insurance

When renting abroad, you should purchase compulsory local coverage and physical damage insurance. To ensure protection under the College’s policy, include the college’s name and address (2 Andrews Road, etc.) on the rental contract, along with your name. The college’s Foreign Liability Policy includes “Hired Auto Physical Damage” insurance which covers the first $1,000 of physical damage. This policy is intended to cover the deductible not covered by the rental company insurance.  You need to confirm that the deductible is no greater than $1,000 and take out extra coverage if it is. Students may drive only if an emergency exists which prevents a college employee from driving. When renting in the United States, you should decline insurance coverage for Damage Waiver, Personal Accident Insurance, and Supplemental Liability Protection.

If an accident occurs, the first priority is everyone’s safety. As soon as time allows, email with information about the accident including the nature of any injuries, vehicular damage, the time, date, and location, name of the driver, name and contact information for the rental car company, and the name of the law enforcement agency handling the situation.

Emergency assistance

Students and faculty are covered by an Emergency Assistance policy while studying and conducting Fall Semester Abroad Programs. These Emergency Assistance organizations  maintain a world wide network of health professionals, hospital contacts, and rescue teams. Emergency Assistance policies provide emergency medical consultation, assistance, and if needed, evacuation to better medical facilities. Services include financial guarantees to hospitals for emergency care, identification of physicians and hospitals, emergency consultation and if needed, evacuation for the patient and one family member to a recommended location, and a visit by a friend or family member to an employee who is alone and hospitalized for more than seven days. The policy also provides for the repatriation of remains. In addition, the policy provides assistance in locating legal representation abroad and in replacing lost documents. Insurance is available only if the faculty member or student is pre-approved by the appropriate provider below.

For faculty, the emergency assistance is provided by Europ Assistance USA If calling from the United States, the number is 877-238-1234; if abroad, the number is 202-659-7777 (collect). The Bates plan number is: 01-SP-585. Download the Europ Assistance Information Card

All Bates students are covered by ACE/Europ Assistance.