Barlow Grants

You can apply from abroad for Barlow Enrichment and Thesis Research Grants.

Enrichment Grants

As their name suggests, these grants are designed to enrich the experience of students on semester or year-long study abroad programs.  Enrichment Grants can be used for extra travel or for an enriching activity at the study abroad site.  While most of these grants fund extra travel, grants have also been used, for example, to purchase a trumpet to allow participation in an orchestra in Russia and supplies for a student to use for her volunteer work in an orphanage in Ecuador.  Up to $500 is available for one enrichment trip or activity that takes place prior to final exams.  Allowable expenses include food, low-cost lodging, budget travel, entry fees, conference expenses, and up to $100 for supplies or equipment.  Funds may not be used to pay the regular costs of study abroad, to purchase gifts, buy or rent automobiles, or for travel to countries included in a U.S. State Department Travel Warning.  Primarily recreational activities are not funded.

Students apply for enrichment grants after they have begun studying abroad when the scope of opportunities and costs of carrying them out are better known.  If the grant involves travel, it needs to be for one trip and submitted prior to the travel.  The grant application needs to describe the proposed activity, including the time period, location, and actual or estimated costs.  If flying, include your online reservation.  A maximum of four enrichment grants is awarded per country per semester with only one grant per student.

Enrichment Grant Application Form

 Applications are reviewed periodically when the college is in session as long as funds remain.  The Off-Campus Study Committee may alter these procedures and deadlines if necessary in specific cases.  All decisions are final.

Thesis Research Grants

Grants of up to $1,500 are available to support senior thesis research in the student’s study abroad country.  The research can be undertaken during junior year while studying abroad, during the following summer, or during senior year.  Most students apply for the grants during their senior year and undertake their research then.

For junior year thesis grants, students apply after they have begun studying abroad and identified a potential thesis topic and have a better sense of its feasibility and research costs.  Students who study abroad in the fall may apply for junior year research funds upon their return to campus for use later in the year.  October 1 is the initial deadline for senior year grants, but applications are welcome into second semester.  Applications must be submitted prior to undertaking the research.

Grant applications are submitted via an online form.  Please include the following:

  • Abstract of 250 words.
  • A one-two page proposal describing the thesis topic in detail, your proposed research and the explicit links to both your thesis and your off-campus study site, research methodology(ies), and the anticipated contribution of the field research opportunity to your thesis.
  • IRB approval (if applicable).
  • A projected budget in USD, showing the breakdown of all associated expenses with supporting documentation (flight itinerary, lodging costs, meals, local transportation, and visa, if needed).
  • Proposed dates of travel.
  • Letter of support from your thesis advisor confirming that you have worked together to refine your thesis topic, that the proposed research methodologies support your topic, that you have obtained necessary IRB approval (if applicable), and that the return to the study abroad site is meaningfully connected to your work.

In addition to the Barlow Thesis Grants, students can apply to the Bates Student Research Fund if their expenses will exceed $1,500.  More information on this fund may be found at:

The Grant Award and Completion Report

Grant awards are distributed within the United States to the student, her or his TD Bank account, or to the student’s family.  According to IRS regulations, neither of these grants is subject to Federal income taxes.  Enrichment grants are exempt because they are less than $600; thesis grants are exempt because they support an activity for which academic credit is awarded.  Grant recipients must write a one or two page “Completion Report” on the use of the funds.  For enrichment grants, this should be done during the first semester back on campus.  For thesis grants, this should be done by the end of the second semester of senior year. The grant amount is charged to the student’s bill if the report is not received by the appropriate date.  Students are expected to return unused funds to Bates for use by future students.

Students are encouraged to apply for these grants. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Das or Dean Mangieri.