COVID-19 Booster Requirement FAQ

Is it required that I receive a COVID-19 booster for the winter semester on campus?

All students must have the COVID-19 booster shot as soon as eligible. Students must present a digital image or hard copy of their COVID-19 vaccination card upon arrival at Muskie Archives for COVID-19 testing and check-in.

Students who do not present their COVID-19 vaccination card at Muskie Archives before the beginning of classes or choose not to get the COVID-19 booster once eligible will be unenrolled from courses and placed on a leave of absence for the Winter 2022 semester and Short Term 2022. In addition, as this is a violation of the Public Health Agreement, such students will be referred to the Student Conduct Committee.

When will I become eligible for my booster?

Individuals ages 16 and older are eligible for their booster dose six months after completing their primary COVID-19 vaccination series of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or two months after completing their single-dose COVID-19 vaccination of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen.

I’ve already gotten my booster. What’s my next step?

Keep your COVID-19 vaccine card with your booster information. You will be required to present a digital image or hard copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card upon your arrival at Muskie Archives for COVID-19 testing and check-in for the Winter semester.  

I have not yet gotten my booster. What’s my next step?

Use this webpage to search for a booster appointment near you. We highly recommend that you receive a booster as soon as you are eligible. If you are local to campus, you can schedule an appointment at the Central Maine Medical Center vaccine clinic at the Auburn Mall here. Keep your COVID-19 vaccine card with your booster information. You will be required to present a digital image or hard copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card upon your arrival at Muskie Archives for COVID-19 testing and check-in for the Winter semester. 

How do I let Bates know that I have received my booster?

You will be required to present a digital image or hard copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card upon your arrival at Muskie Archives for COVID-19 testing and check-in for the Winter semester.

I’m already on campus for the Winter semester, how do I submit my booster information?

If you remained on campus during the winter break or are a student-athlete returning to campus early to participate in winter season athletics you must go to Muskie Archives between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. on January 9 or 10 with your COVID-19 vaccination card to have it reviewed and verified. 

What if I’m not yet eligible for a booster?

Students who will not yet be eligible for a booster before Winter semester check in on January 9, 10, and 11 will receive outreach at their Bates email from Brenna Callahan at Bates Health Services to make a plan to receive their booster and submit their updated booster information to the college  when they become eligible.

What if I come to campus without my COVID-19 booster?

If you are eligible and have not received a booster, you will be required to get a booster shot on Tuesday, January 11 or Wednesday, January 12 at the Auburn, Maine vaccination clinic,

I’m studying abroad, do I need to submit my COVID-19 booster information?

Yes, all currently enrolled students, including those studying abroad, will be required to submit their COVID-19 booster information. More information about how to do this if you will not be on campus for the Winter semester will be forthcoming. 

What if I have a medical exemption to the COVID-19 vaccine requirement?

Students for whom Bates Health Services has approved a medical exemption for the COVID-19 vaccine requirement will be able to maintain their medical exemption for the COVID-19 booster requirement. These students will receive outreach at their Bates email from Brenna Callahan at Bates Health Services.

How do I apply for a medical exemption to the COVID-19 booster requirement?

Students who are interested in applying for a medical exemption to the COVID-19 booster requirement should contact Brenna Callahan at healthservices@bates.edu. Criteria for medical exemptions include: 1) a severe allergic reaction or a severe hypersensitivity reaction to a prior dose of a COVID-19 vaccine; 2) a non-severe allergic reaction or a non-severe hypersensitivity reaction to a prior dose of a COVID-19 vaccine within 4 hours of receiving the dose; 3) individuals with underlying medical conditions such as weakened immune systems, autoimmune conditions, or other underlying medical conditions following recommendations from a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. All requests for medical exemptions are subject to the review and approval of the Medical Director of Bates Health Services.

I recently tested positive for COVID-19, is this a medical exemption to the booster requirement?

No, previously testing positive for COVID-19 is not considered a medical exemption to the COVID-19 booster requirement. Most individuals can get their COVID-19 booster as soon as they are medically cleared by their provider.

I recently tested positive for COVID-19, when can I get my booster?

Most individuals can get their COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are medically cleared by their provider.

If I receive a medical exemption, how will that impact my ability to participate fully in on-campus activities?

For those with a medical exemption to the booster, the college may limit participation in activities that may be higher risk with regard to transmission (e.g., athletics, recreation, singing, playing instruments, etc.) and require increased public health measures related to testing and masking.

What if I have additional questions about the COVID-19 booster?

Read more here about the COVID-19 booster. Bates Health Services staff will be available to answer student-specific questions about the COVID-19 booster when the college reopens from winter break on January 3, 2022.