How do I migrate my email from my Bates Gmail account to a Personal Gmail account?
Please note that all messages will be transferred from your Bates account to your personal account. Every message (except for SPAM and Trash) will be put in your inbox and will not retain their original labels. This includes Sent messages. This process also can take a very long time depending on how many messages you have in your Bates account. Please plan accordingly.
- Log into your Bates Gmail account by going to email.bates.edu
- From your inbox click on the grid icon in the upper right corner and select My Account
- Under Sign-in & Security select Connected apps & sites
- If it’s not turned on already, make sure Allow less secure apps: is turned ON
- Logout of your Bates Gmail Account
- Login to your Personal Gmail Account
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings
- Go to the Accounts tab
- Find Check mail from other accounts section and click on Add a POP3 mail account you own
- In the pop up box, type in the email address of the account from which you want to transfer messages (email@example.com)
- Click on Next Step
- Enter the mail settings in the pop up box:
- Username: FULL Bates email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: Network Password (Bates email password)
- POP Server: click Other
- Add pop.gmail.com
- Port: 995
- DO NOT check Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server
- DO check Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail
- Click Add Account
- Click No when it asks if you would like to be able to send mail as email@example.com
- Click Finish
Gmail will begin to transfer your Bates emails to your personal account. A new label will appear as firstname.lastname@example.org that will label all of your Bates messages.
Gmail will periodically check your Bates account for new messages once this process is complete until your account is deleted.