I am visiting the Bates campus, or I am a guest of the college. How do I to connect to Bates WiFi?
Bates College offers 3 Wireless (WiFi) networks options for individuals to choose from when on campus.
Bates Open – Bates Open is the WiFi connectivity available for guests of the college.
Eduroam – Bates Faculty, Staff, and Students visiting institutions in the US and around the world will be able to connect to the eduroam service at participating schools using their Bates College network credentials. In turn, visitors to Bates from participating schools will be able to access the internet here with the credentials provided by their home institutions.
Bates Secure – Bates Secure is the primary WiFi SSID for Bates Faculty, Staff, and Students* and offers full WPA2 encryption.
*Students connecting gaming consoles, Apple TVs, Smart Devices, etc., will need to connect these devices to Bates Open and register these devices to successfully connect to the Internet.
Connecting to the “Bates Open” SSID/Wireless
- Using your devices’ wireless capabilities, connect to the Bates Open SSID.
- Open any web browser; you will automatically be redirected to the Guest Registration page.
- Enter your Name and a valid Email Address.
- Click the Submit button.
- After a 20-second registration process, you will see a Guest Registration Receipt displayed in your web browser with your guest credentials*.
- Click the Login button on the receipt. You will automatically be redirected to www.bates.edu.
- You are now online for 48 to 144* hours!
*You will receive a copy of your receipt via email from firstname.lastname@example.org (handy in case you want to register
multiple devices within the next 48 hours).
Things to keep in mind
- Access is granted for 48 to 144* hours after which you will have to register again.
- *For groups or special functions, access may be extended up to 6 days/144 hours.
- Connectivity to outside services is not guaranteed.
- Printing and other local network services are not available.
- Accounts are subject to the Bates Acceptable Use Policy & Computing and Electronic Resources Access Policy.