What software is available to Faculty, Staff, and Students for Free or at an Educational Discount?
Bates provides access to well over a hundred different software applications in support of teaching, learning, research, and the administration of the college. While our licenses for most applications are limited to use on Bates-owned machines, a few licenses allow installation on personal machines for faculty, staff, and students.
The following is a list of software that is available to members of the Bates College Community at no cost:
- Scientific Software
- Research and Reference Manager
- Lynda Online Learning
- On Demand Online Learning
- Software Suite Designed for Combined NMR and LC/GC/MS Techniques
- Microsoft Office 365 for Education
- Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Scientific Graphing, Curve Fitting, Statistics, and Data Organization
- Text-to-Speach Software
- Wolfram|Alpha Pro
- Provides individuals with step-by-step analysis on math/science problems, generate mathematical practice problems, and do calculations/data analysis directly online
- Wolfram Mathematica (Faculty & Staff)
- Software for Technical Computing for R&D and Education
- Zoom Video Conferencing Platform
- Video and Web Conferencing
Educationally Discounted Software:
OnTheHub provides Bates College students a selected number of software titles at significant discounts. Please visit: https://bates.onthehub.com/ for additional information.
Any licensed application not listed is limited to use on Bates-owned machines. Access from off-campus on Bates-owned machines requires the Bates VPN software – contact the Help Desk for installation. VPN software is limited to use on Bates-owned machines for faculty and staff only.
Remember that most of our licenses expire on or around July 1. While most licenses renew automatically, some require a bit of intervention. Contact the IT Help Desk should this prove to be the case.