G Suite – Convert a PDF File to Text using G Suite Docs (IT Training Tip)
The IT Help Desk on occasion receives inquiries on how to convert a PDF File to Text so it can be manipulated in either Microsoft Word, G Suite Docs, or in some other application.
The IT Help Desk would recommend installing and using Adobe DC, which would provide you with the ability to convert the PDF File to Text. Although Adobe DC would do the trick, sometimes you might want something that’s quick and easy, or maybe you might only be doing this once or twice. In order to use Adobe DC, you’ll need to have the software installed on your computer, and then you’ll need to learn how to use it. All which can use up valuable time and can even be frustrating.
Why go through all that, when you already have access to an easy way to convert PDF Files to Text quickly and easily? With G Suite Docs, there is a little know about feature, that lets you perform the conversion with just a couple of steps.
Login to your Bates G Suite Drive Account:
- On your computer, open your Bates Gmail account from within a web browser and log in.
- On the top right, click on the application launcher box and click on the Drive icon.
Step 1 – Upload your PDF File to your G Suite Drive account. (If the file is already in your G Suite Drive account, skip this step and continue to Step 2.):
To Upload a PDF File to your G Suite Drive Account from the G Suite Drive interface:
- Click on the NEW button (colored blue), located on the top left side of the G Suite Drive interface.
- From the drop-down menu, click on File upload.
- Navigate and Find your PDF File and click on the Open button to upload your file.
Step 2 – Convert the PDF File to Text:
- Find the PDF File located in your G Suite Drive account.
- Once you have found the PDF File you want to convert to Text, right-click on the file.
- From the contextual menu, click on Open with, then click on Google Docs.
- Once the conversion is complete, the text will be available to you in a new G Suite Docs document.
- Once the file is converted to text in a G Suite Doc, you can:
- Edit/Modify the file.
- Copy and Paste the text into another application.
- Download the file as a Microsoft Word, PDF Document, etc.
To Download the file as a PDF or Microsoft Word Document:
- In the document you have opened in G Suite Docs, click on the File menu, then click on Download as.
- From the sub-menu, click on the file format (Microsoft Word, PDF Document, etc.) you want to download the file as. The file will then began to download and is saved to your computer.
- If you downloaded the file as a Microsoft Word file, you could now use Microsoft Word from your computer to edit the document.