Usernames, User IDs, Passwords, and PINs!
To access the Garnet Gateway, Bates G Suite Account (Bates Gmail, Google Calendar, Contacts, Google Drive and Google Docs), WiFi, Lyceum, Library Resources, Computer Lab Computers, and many other online resources you will need a set of login credentials. There are two sets of credentials you will be using while you are at Bates.
Garnet Gateway User ID and PIN:
- The first set of credentials you will receive will be a User ID and PIN that will provide you access to the Garnet Gateway. This set of credentials can only be used to log in the Garnet Gateway and will not work to access other online or network resources such as your Bates Gmail or WiFi.
- Your User ID is your 9 digit Bates ID number. Once you log into the Garnet Gateway for the first time, you will be required to create a PIN. This PIN will need to be between 6 and 8 characters and must contain at least one number. Your PIN can also be all numbers if you find that easier to remember. When creating or changing your PIN, there will be additional rules required for creating a secure PIN. These will be displayed on the Change PIN window in the Garnet Gateway.
- When you log into the Garnet Gateway for the first time, you will also be prompted to select a Security Question and provide an Answer. The answer to your security question will need to be longer than 6 characters. You will want to remember the answer to your security question because if you ever forget your PIN, you will be able to use the Forgot PIN option on the Garnet Gateway to reset your PIN.
- Once you have successfully accessed the Garnet Gateway with your new PIN, you will want to obtain your Bates username, email address, and network password.
Bates Username, Email Address, and Network Password:
- Once you have successfully logged into the Garnet Gateway, you will want to obtain your Bates username, email address, and network password. This second set of credentials will provide you with access to your Bates G Suite Account, access to Bates WiFi (BatesSecure), login abilities on Computer Lab Computers, Library Online Resources, Paw-Print-Printing, and many other online resources.
- Once you are logged into the Garnet Gateway, you will want to access the New Students Forms section. From the all tab, scroll down to the due July 01 section and click on the Email and Network link. You will be presented with the Bates College Computer Use Policy. You must agree to the terms of the policy before you can proceed. Once the terms of Bates College Computer Use Policy have been accepted, you will be presented with the Important Information Regarding Information Technology at Bates window. Make sure to read through the three important bullet points, then click on the Get Password Change Token button.
- Once you click on the Get Password Change Token button, you will be presented with your Username, Password Change Token, and Email Address. There will be seven steps to follow to create your password with your Password Change Token in Password Manager. Please read all seven steps before attempting to create your password.