Paris: Network File Storage Windows Access
(For Windows Vista, please consult: Windows Vista/7: Connecting to Netapp).
You must be logged onto the Bates Network (CCAA login for personal computers) to access Paris.
A. Connecting to Paris:
- From the Start menu, Select Run…
- Type in parisusername
- Click OK and you should now see your Paris folder.
B. Accessing files:
- Double-click on folders to see files within
- To work on files, drag them to the local desktop
- Double-click on the local copy to open it for editing
- Remember to save frequently while you are editing
- When you are finished with the file, drag the local copy back to the Paris window , and overwrite the existing copy
C. Using Paris to allow public access to files (images, etc.):
- Follow the steps on the Web Directory Setup help sheet in order to prepare your public_html directory with proper permissions.
- Be sure to drag and drop or save your files to the public_html directory in Paris so that http://abacus.bates.edu/~username/filename.ext will show the item(s) in a browser.
If on a public computer always remember to log off when done.
Please be sure to examine the Paris Network Storage Advantages and Tips page.