Back-to-School Computing Basics
Information and Library Services welcomes the Class of 2020 and all returning students! If you have any questions about connecting to the Bates network, please don’t hesitate to contact Help Desk Services. They are your single point of contact for your technology and computing questions.
Help Desk Hours during Back To School
- Monday, August 29 – Friday, September 2, 8am-5pm
- Saturday, September 3, 9am-5pm
- Sunday, September 4, 1pm-5pm
- Monday, September 5, 9am-5pm
- Tuesday, September 6, regular hours resume
Bates offers three ways to get online quickly:
Bates Secure – fully encrypted wireless for Bates students, faculty, and staff
Bates Open – open network for visitors, gaming consoles, & mobile devices
eduroam – an international wifi service for academic institutions
What Do I Really Need to Know?
- Computers – We strongly recommend you bring a computer to campus. Either Mac or Windows, the choice is yours. If you are unable to, Bates offers nearly 175 public workstations in the following locations:
- Ladd Library Reference
- Ladd Library 148
- Hedge G18
- Imaging Center, Coram
- Pettengill 227
- Pettengill 329
- Pettigrew 121
- Roger Williams 105
- Software – Click here for the list of software currently available in computer labs
- Network Printing – Paw-Print and Paw-Print-Color print queues allow the pickup of print jobs in multiple locations around campus, including Help Desk Services in Ladd Library, Pettengill Hall rooms 227 & 329, Hedge Hall room G18, Imaging Center, Roger Williams 105, Pettigrew 121, and Milts in Commons.
- for information in setting up print queues, click here
Additional Resources Available for Students:
- Bates is a Google Campus – You have access to Mail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Calendar. Student calendars are automatically populated with your course schedule! Start at mail.bates.edu.
- Computer Purchasing – We’ve made purchasing a Windows or Mac computer easy and stress-free through the Dell and Apple online stores for education.
- File Storage – Each student is provided with unlimited file storage via their Bates Google Drive account.
- Hardware Support – Contact the Help Desk 207-786-8222 for basic assistance and referrals.
- CyberAware Bobcats – Keep up to date with the latest in online safety and security.
- Microsoft Office – Microsoft offers all students with a valid .edu address free copies of Microsoft Office. To sign up and for more information on this offer go to: http://www.office.com/
- Sophos Anti-Virus – Bates offers all of our students free Anti-Virus software . Please see the instructions for installing Sophos on Windows or Mac.
- Endnote X7 – An indispensable tool for creating, managing and importing bibliographic information. http://libguides.bates.edu/
- OntheHub.com – Discounted purchases and rentals of popular software titles, including SPSS and Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Crashplan – A cloud backup service for personal computers. Never lose computer files to disasters, accidents or theft again: http://www.bates.edu/ils/news/crashplan-discount-for-personal-use/
- Other software – Vendors occasionally provide access to other software for use on student-owned machines. Current offers are listed here: http://www.bates.edu/ils/2015/how-do-i/software/free-software/