The Peter J. Gomes Chapel
The Service of Naming the Peter J. Gomes Chapel is Thursday, October 25, 4:15—5:45 p.m.
Dedicated as a house of prayer and meditation open to all, the College Chapel will be named in memory of the Rev. Peter J. Gomes ’65, D.D. ’96, on Oct. 25, 2012.
Gomes, a man of God and a man of joy, a friend of many and a brilliant preacher, and an influential author and principled religious voice in America, died Feb. 28, 2011, at age 68. He was the Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Pusey Minister in the Memorial Church at Harvard University.
The Rev. Peter J. Gomes ’65 (right) is shown here with his friend, the late Jim Carignan ’61, at Reunion 1998 when Gomes received the college’s highest alumni honor, the Benjamin Elijah Mays Award. Photograph by Phyllis Graber Jensen.
More on the Rev. Peter J. Gomes ’65 from Bates News
- Gomes collection, reflecting intimacy with the past, offered March 24 (3-13-12)
- Harvard Crimson reports on Chapel’s naming for Peter Gomes ’65 (11-8-11)
- Video: Gathering in tribute to Peter Gomes ’65 at Reunion 2011 (6-16-11)
- Video: photographs and words from the life of the late Peter Gomes ’65 (6-16-11)
- Reunion Weekend tribute to the late Rev. Peter J. Gomes ’65 set for June 11(6-3-11)