Training Requirements for Human Subjects Researchers
The Federal government requires that faculty, staff, and students who carry out human subjects research have received training in the ethical conduct of such research before beginning their roles in such projects. To fulfill this requirement, Bates subscribes to online Human Subjects Research training courses provided by the CITI program. To enroll in and complete the course(s) relevant to your research, please complete the following steps:
a. If you already have a CITI ID, click the button in the upper right hand corner that says “Log In”.
b. If you do not have a CITI ID, click the adjacent button that says “Register”. Type “Bates College” in the text bar where it requests your organizational affiliation, and proceed with the registration process.
2. Once you have successfully logged into CITI, click, in the upper left hand corner, where it says “Main Menu / My Courses”.
3. If you do not see “Human Subjects Research (HSR)” listed, then click the link that says “Add a Course”.
4. Select “Human Subjects Research (HSR)”
5. On the next page, select the course or courses appropriate to the type of research you perform. The current selections include:
- Biomedical Research Investigators: Choose this group to satisfy CITI training requirements for Investigators and staff involved primarily in Biomedical research with human subjects.
- Social & Behavioral Research Investigators: Choose this group to satisfy CITI training requirements for Investigators and staff involved primarily in Social and Behavioral research with human subjects.
- IRB Members: This Basic Course is appropriate for IRB or Ethics Committee members.
- IRB Chair
- Students conducting no more than minimal risk research
Students who are uncertain whether or not their research is “minimal risk” should take the appropriate “Investigators” course. Note that more than one course can be selected, for individuals who have more than one role at Bates.
When you have completed a course, please download a copy of your completion report and e-mail it to IRB@bates.edu. Completion reports can be accessed by institutional administrators, so if you believe you have already completed a Human Subjects Research CITI course at Bates but you cannot remember your login credentials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.