Inviting Relatives or Friends to Visit You in the USA

The ISSS does not issue invitation letters for students’ family members or friends. According to guidance from the U.S. Department of State, such a letter is neither necessary nor useful for the application for a B-1/B-2 Visitor’s visa. B-1 is the classification for a Visitor for business, and B-2 for a Visitor for pleasure.

For general information on qualifying and applying for a visitor visa, go to the Department of State’s information on Visitor Visas – Business and Pleasure. Specific instructions on documentation requirements for the B-1/B-2 visa application at the embassy or consulate where your relatives will apply can be found at Websites of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions page on the Department of State’s website.

Writing an Invitation Letter – You may write a letter for your relatives inviting them to visit you. Include your family member’s name, birth date, relationship to you, passport number, the purpose and length of time of the visit, and whether you will provide for their room and board during their visit.Below is a sample letter.

Academic Certification – The College Registrar, located in Libbey Forum, is the office from which to obtain official documentation to confirm your enrollment. You may request an Enrollment Verification Certificate on-line or you may visit the Registrar.

Additional Documentation -.Your visitor(s) may need to provide evidence of their own financial resources for the visit.

You should also include a copy of your I-20 and I-94 card as evidence of your immigration status in the U.S.

U.S. immigration law requires an applicant for a visa to overcome “the presumption of immigrant intent”. This means that the individual should demonstrate that they have strong ties to their home country such as employment, property, and family and have no intention of staying permanently in the United States.