F-1 Transfer to Bates

If you are currently in F-1 status from another U.S. institution and intend to begin your studies at Bates College, you are considered a “Transfer Student” by the Center for Global Education (CGE) for the purposes of issuing an I-20. A transfer of the supervision of your F-1 status from your old or current school to Bates College is required by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). You will be considered a transfer student if you are in the middle of a degree program and are leaving that program to begin at Bates.

There are three steps required to complete the transfer process.

Step 1. Request Transfer and Submit Documents to CGE

Once you have learned of your admission to Bates and have accepted the offer, you will print out your Request to Transfer to Bates College. You will complete the top half of the form and request your DSO to complete the bottom half. Scan and email a copy of this form to Bates College at globaleducation@bates.edu.

The form will indicate a release date. The release date is the date that your SEVIS record will become available to CGE. CGE is not able to issue your I-20 before the release date. The transfer-out procedure must be requested within 60 days of completing your program at your current school though the actual release date may be later. F-1 regulations allow a student to work in the summer between schools on the campus that maintains supervision of the SEVIS record so you may want to take this into consideration when choosing your release date. You should also consider any plans to travel outside the U.S. (i.e. if you have a release date of August 15 and are planning to re-enter the U.S. on August 20, this will not be enough time to get your I-20 to you before you return).

Your international student advisor will complete Section 2 of the transfer-in form and return it to Bates.

Step 2.  Wait for your I-20 and prepare for arrival in Maine

The CGE will create your I-20 and send it to you. If you are traveling or moving during the break before coming to Bates remember to update CGE with your current address so the I-20 is sent to the correct location.

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. after completing your studies at your previous institution but before starting your program at Bates, you must use Bates’s I-20 to re-enter the U.S. If you have a valid, unexpired  F-1 visa in your passport, you do not need to apply for a new visa. You may use the visa you have, even though the previous school’s name is on it. If your visa has expired, you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa but you are not required to pay the SEVIS fee again. Go to the SEVIS fee website for confirmation that you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee.

If you are not planning to leave the U.S. before arriving at Bates, you will simply receive the I-20 and report to CGE upon arrival.

Step 3.  Complete the Transfer Process
To complete the SEVIS transfer process, you must report your arrival upon your return to the U.S. from abroad or when you come to Bates, if you haven’t left the U.S. between schools. You DO have to come to CGE in person to report your arrival. Bates is required to report your arrival and update your SEVIS record from transfer-pending status to continued attendance status to complete the transfer process. This MUST be done no later than 30 days after the start date on your I-20. It is preferred that you make an appointment to meet with an CGE advisor as soon as you arrive at Bates and that you not wait for the deadline.

You are required to register for full-time studies at Bates in the first available term after leaving your previous school or the first term after the summer vacation period.