Ladd changes for Fall 2020
In accordance with COVID-19 campus policy, Ladd Library is open via card access to Bates emeriti, current faculty, staff and students only.
All patrons will need their Bates keycard to access the building.
- The library is open to emeriti, current faculty, staff and students.
- Emeriti who retired this summer or fall will need to have a new Bates keycard issued.
- Alumni can make arrangements to borrow materials but not for building access.
- The library is not open this semester to affiliates, Courtesy Borrowers or other community members. We continue to lend Bates materials through your local library.
- Full Schedule of Hours
We will page Bates materials for you.
You can request all formats of Bates materials through the catalog from the safety of your home or office. We will pull it and send an email when it is ready for you to pickup from the Circulation Desk. Bates material requesting uses the same process as requesting Colby and Bowdoin materials.
Our bookstacks are open for browsing.
We expect all patrons to follow the hand washing, mask wearing and social distancing protocols outlined in Bates’ General Infection Protection Measures.
We want to make you aware that research conducted by the Reopening Libraries, Archives, and Museums (REALM) COVID-19 Research Project indicates that the SARS-CoV-2 virus can be detected on library resources for two to five days after inoculation, depending on the material. We encourage you to consider a quarantine period before using your item, and in any case to observe campus hand washing protocols before and after handling it.
Using liquid disinfectant or alcohol wipes is not recommended for our collections. Quarantine is both safe and effective for all material types.
The Audio/Video Desk will be closed Fall 2020.
The music and film collection will not be open for browsing. This collection will only be available by request through the catalog. We will page all items and have them available the next day for pickup at the Circulation Desk.
All returns should be put in the book drops.
Please do not return any material to the service desks.
There are two book drops at the library.
- The first is located at the front entrance, in the glass wall just to the left of the doors. It is accessible from both inside the building and in the foyer.
- The second book drop is located outside at our shipping/receiving door (facing Hedge and Roger Willams). It’s a huge black book drop which somehow manages to visually disappear.