Welcome (and welcome back) to BatesNews for 2018–19
Welcome to the first edition of the weekly BatesNews for 2018–19, and a special welcome to parents and students of the incoming Class of 2022, who are receiving BatesNews for the first time.
What it is
Distributed weekly by email, BatesNews emphasizes college news and storytelling through photography, writing, and video.
Look for BatesNews each Friday except during college breaks and the month of July.
Alumni, parents, and the campus community receive BatesNews and its weekly companion, Sports Update, delivered each Tuesday.
If friends or other family members want to receive these weekly Bates emails, here’s how to subscribe.
What you’ll see
In addition to news and features about Bates people and college life, BatesNews offers these recurring series:
- This Month at Bates, the monthly slideshow of Bates photography by Phyllis Graber Jensen and Theophil Syslo.
- Campus Construction Update, a witty and detailed chronicle of Bates facilities projects, great and small, by news writer Doug Hubley.
- Look What We Found, an introduction to faculty and staff through the cool and unusual stuff in their offices.
- Bates at Night, a photo- and video-driven excursion into students’ evening activities and pursuits;
- Plus, Bates in the News, a summary of Bates news items by news writer Emily McConville; Voices of the Class of 2019, brief video profiles of the senior class; and What I Mean When I Say, a look at household words that take on different meanings in the academic setting.
- Down the road, look for new series about faculty publications (and what they mean); the meaning of collaboration; and, by means of a podcast, personal connections that professors have with their research interests.
Let’s get social
And there’s more
Bates alumni and parents, as well as the campus community, automatically receive the weekly BatesNews and Sports Update.
If you also want to know about Bates events, you can subscribe to an email distribution featuring highlights of coming events. Just go to the bottom of your BatesNews email, click “Update Your Subscription Preferences,” and check the Events at Bates box.