BOC Minutes 9/23/2015

Salaam Aleikum mountainous Batesies of the Eastern reaches of the Lew,

track of sound yes this exists. I know. I. Know.

Here are your minutes.

Sasha welcomes people again. She is so cheery and smiley. I trust her not to kick my head right now. It’s good.

In case you missed it or are gauging whether or not you want to sacrifice 15-85 minutes of your night, here’s what we do in these here mtgs.

– We start with announcements. Folks generally plug things or announce excellent new additions to our gear ‘stache (we have a collective mustache made of gear). Sometimes changes in scheduling or changes in rules (they’re more like guidelines).

– We then go on to trips. This is the good shit. We announce trips.

– Gear. MUY IMPORTANTE LEENLOS ESTAS NUEVAS REGLAS POR FAVOR (muy important, please leen these nuvarules)

IF YOU WANT TO PROPOSE GEAR, EMAIL ME FIRST WITH INFO AND LINK, I WILL SEND OUT INFO IN AN EMAIL AND EDUCATED VOTERS WILL SHOW UP WITH AN OPINION. FEEL FREE TO MAKE A CASE IN EMAILS, WE ARE MINIMIZING DEBATE AT MEETINGS BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE DON’T CARE AND JUST COME TO CRACK JOKES, TRY TO MAKE SEXY EYE CONTACT WITH ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE, TELL STORIES, AND HIKE.

-George calls me treasurer by accident and I start to get ideas

-Stories. These are generally worthwhile. Generally “outdoors related” and often but not necessarily true. I’m gonna have fun with this one. See the stories section for examples of stories. Also, see all sections for examples of all sections.

Kim Trauceniek (TROW-seneck for those of you who don’t know jack about Slavic (slavic?) phoenetics) is here. She’s our liaison i.e. our woman on the inside i.e. our PIC. She’s open for business, grants n shit, questions, comments, or just straight chillin. Go meet her.

Several shitheads trickle in at this point.

OMG JUDY IS HERE I DIDN’T SEE HER

Judith Marden, aka the Wanda to our Timmy Turner, owns lean-to land in Greene, ME and keeps us in the loop on all the things we should be in loop about. She likes to kick it with us/we like to kick it with her. The lean-to is there for us winter spring summer or fall, you don’t even have to call. Don’t come running, unless it’s winter carnival. We’ve got a friend.

Advance! It’s pretty cool, nice tradition, several people become council members and tell stories, we make s’mores. General happy night-time woods chillin’ with homies old and new. For an instructional video on how to conduct yourself at  aforementioned gathering, click here.

Koby speaks. Rock climbing term – tronsite: top rope on-site. This is when one does something with a top rope on a site. Click here for more details on tronsite. Promptly ex out. No it’s not inappropriate it’s just entirely irrelevant.

Koby couldn’t find his ropes because we hid them. Fool.

People won some free hats.

5 pairs of free chacos up for being won. Log at least 5 activities in the Outdoor nation challenge. Chacos are pretty cool. I have a chacos sticker. Will trade sticker for chacos. Sports practice apparently counts.  500 people sign up, we get $500 cash money. 1,000 people sign up, Outdoor Nation builds a solid mahogany bobcat for the meeting room.

Jordan continues to plug himself. I tune out. Just kidding, he’s gonna give a talk in Freeport, also more free shit. Polar bear rodeos or whatever they occupy themselves with at 70 north in the midday darkness. See, I listened. One more plug though and I would have tuned out.

Katie says Treasurer hours Wednesdays in the E-room 4-5. She gives you cash, unless you’re bullshitting her, in which case she will politely decline your sorry ass. For more rules on what is reimburseable, harass her for details.

Audrey says that Common Ground. Common Ground is dope, best beards you’ll see all year, probs some overalls, and the widest spectrum of rabbits I’ve ever seen. No seriously there’s this shed and you start at like 15 wicked tiny, wicked hyped rabbits on one enclosure and you work your way up to one super fat rabbit chilling harder than you’ve ever seen a rabbit chill.

Emmet is talking about new way of signing up for trips. He says it’s a good idea. Sounds techy but cool.

Paddle board is a thing. Go use it.

Sunrise Paddle this week courtesy of Julia. Wake up early, and see the sunrise on Lake Auburn. This is beautiful. Except when Julia forgets to email the sun and it’s cloudy. Hopefully she doesn’t screw this up. Ball hitch anyone?

Work trip this Sunday to the BATES SECTION OF THE AT WOOO THIS IS A BIG DEAL 3.5 mi stretch. I was talking to Katie but so I dunno how long but Noel said we’ve had this for a wicked long time. Legacy up in hurr. Nothing serious, clearing branches, nice hike, good shelter. One time, I talked to some through hikers about it. They said it was “nice”. Good work team.

Katie: It’s sooooooo fun

Bruno: beginner snurfing trip. Saturday night email. Eyes out.

– Pitting: to go waPA! -Emmet

– Pitting: I didn’t hear what Bruno said so we’ll go with waPA!

Cycling club courtesy of Emma “ancestors were Italian marchers” Marchetti and Eve Maxson, get on the listserv if you like to cycle. This receives snaps. We should snap more. emarchet@bates.edu for deets. Me and Emma find solace and solidarity in our truncated-name-emails-addresses.

Paul is going to Rumney, trip is open to “people who know what they’re doing”. This is met by laughs and “wow you can’t say that”s but in my opinion is an entirely legitimate thing to say. Gotchu Paul 😉 Not a beginner trip.

Lean-to trip with Emmet and Ben, beginner trip for sho. Review instructional lean-to video above if need be.

Climbing wall kinda stripped. It looks good naked. Like the people who climb it. Excel spreadsheet with very helpful info concerning levels of routes.

JUDY IS SAYING SOMETHING SHHHHHH paddling trip on the ‘Scog (Andrascawgin Rivah (Androscoggin River)),BYOboat (no booze, that might be an OUI? (boozing encouraged on the Saco floats though)), launch in Turner, email from her for more, errrrrbody welcome.

Stories

Pardo hikes the Mohawk loop in CT AT. Super gnarly. Apparently all of CT is a swamp. I’d phrase it as “backwater” but hey that’s just me. Mad mosquitoes. We do not know what they were angry about. He got bit on the weiner twice. “skeeters were totally into him. While he was pooping. A+ for James “mosquito bite on penis poop” Pardo.

Bruno, Evan, and Nate did something first aidy in Lander,WY, two secret patients for training, one was supposed to have a seizure, Evan was not in on this. This is key. Being a patient is fun. Someone stole his seizure, someone actually has a seizure, booting everywhere. He says the safe word. Shit gets real. Some super tough-looking dude was soft. Everyone is confused. What a dick/seizure thief. Someone called 911. Turns out dude was putting everyone on. Can puke on command. Whadda boss. Except when he threw up on a raincoat. Moral of the story, you can puke on command.

I was gonna tell a story but straight up could not follow that ^^. Maybe next time I’ll wait for a lame story then tell mine.

Ben lived in Montana with Nate, WTF BEN SOMEONE IS FROM BOZEMAN. 3 pitches then you top out whatever that means. Some local decided to haul a bbq up. There’s a bbq. So they climb with bbq shit and bbq’d. That’s pretty cool. I won’t tell Smokey about this.

Cool. Done. Back to thesis I go.

From a cold, sterile lab that you couldn’t find if you tried,

Batman again

Current events: In case your night was a touch too cheery, here’s this . Aren’t you glad we live somewhere with water?

If you’re actually sad about stuff though, here’s this. I was reminded of it because burning things. Gotten me through some shit. Like the time Ellie Van Gemeren waved to someone behind me and not me in Commons.

K get back to work y’all