Bates Parents Volunteer Guide
Thank You for Volunteering!
We are grateful for your commitment to Bates. Over the past few years, a record number of parents have participated as volunteers. Their extraordinary efforts have helped Bates achieve record-breaking participation in and contributions to the Parents Fund. Whether you are making welcome calls, Parents Fund calls, or hosting an event or internship, we appreciate your commitment to Bates.
We hope this guide is a helpful resource. Please contact us with questions!
The Parents Team:
Director of Parent Giving
Assistant Director of Parent Giving and Engagement
Parent Volunteer Timeline: 2017–2018
|September||• Set Parents Fund goals
• Bates Parent Fund general solicitation mailed
• Back to Bates: Homecoming & Family Weekend (September 22–24)
|October||• Student Calling begins
• Bates Parents Fund Leadership Giving Brochure mailed
|November||• Report of Giving mailed to all FY17 donors
• 2018 Bates Calendar mailed
|December||• Bates Parents Fund solicitation from the college
• Pledge reminder sent from the college
• Volunteer outreach to year-end donors (1st contact period)
• End of Tax Year: make your Parents Fund gift!
|March||• Volunteer outreach to parents (2nd contact period)
|May||• Bates Parents Fund solicitation letter from Parents Fund Chair
• Student Calling ends
|June||• Final volunteer outreach to parents (3rd contact period)
• Bates Parents Fund solicitation letter from the college
• Fiscal Year ends: June 30
Parent Fund Volunteer Responsibilities:
- Lead by example: Make your gift to Bates by December 31.
- Contact 5–10 parents about making their Parents Fund gift.
- Share news from campus and speak with other parents about the importance of giving to Bates.
- Encourage parents to return to campus for Back to Bates (October 5–7) or attend Bates events in their area! Visit bates.edu/alumni/events for more information.
- Thank those who make a gift with a personal thank you.
- Make your own gift to the Parents Fund. You’ll feel more comfortable asking other parents to join you in supporting Bates when you have made the commitment yourself. Please make your gift by December 31.
- Review your assignments’ contact information and giving histories. Have they given consistently? Did they increase their gift last year? Information on your assignments will be provided by the Parents giving team.
- Stay informed. The more you know about what’s happening on campus, the easier the conversation will be. The Bates News site is constantly updated with current stories about students, faculty, and college initiatives.
Make the contact:
- Identify yourself. Make it clear that you are a fellow parent working as a volunteer.
- Find common ground. What does your child cherish most about their Bates experience?
- Make the ask. Ask parents to join you in making a gift to Bates. If they are unsure about giving, reiterate that their gift, whatever the size, truly matters to Bates.
- Say thank you. You will receive a notification when your assignments make a gift to Bates. Please personally thank those who make a gift as soon as possible.
- Update information. Share updated contact information with the Parents Fund team.
There are many ways to give to Bates. The three most widely used methods are:
- Online at bates.edu/give
- Phone at 888-522-8371
- Check made payable to “The Bates Parents Fund.” Mail to: Bates College, 2 Andrews Road, Lewiston, ME 04240.
Bates Beacons Monthly Giving
The Bates Beacons perpetual giving program allows you to divide your gift to Bates into manageable increments through convenient automatic deductions from your credit card or checking account.
The Garnet Circle honors loyal alumni, parents, and friends who have contributed to Bates for five or more consecutive years, as well as young alumni who have given continuously since graduation.
Parent Leadership Giving
Parent Leadership Giving begins with Parents Fund donors who make Bates a philanthropic priority through Mount David Society level gifts of $2,500 or more.
The Phillips Society celebrates those in the Bates community that have honored the college in their estate plans.
Help Bates reach parent participation and Parents Fund goals by making fundraising calls. (See “The Parents Fund” tab.)
Calls to parents of incoming students welcoming the families to Bates. Welcome Calls are a great way to reach out and welcome new families to the Bates community before their child arrives on campus in the Fall.
Host a reception to welcome the incoming class to Bates. Summer Welcome Receptions provide a casual setting for incoming students and their families an opportunity to connect with other incoming families in their area before arriving at Bates in the fall.