Parents Volunteer Guide
Thank You for Volunteering!
Thank you so much for your work on behalf of Bates. Over the last several years, we have had a record number of parents participate as volunteers for Bates. This extraordinary volunteer effort has helped Bates achieve record-breaking parent participation and contributions to the Parents Fund. Whether you make welcome calls, Parents Fund calls, or host an event or internship, we are so grateful for your commitment to Bates.
We hope this guide is a helpful resource. Please contact us with questions.
The Parents Team
email@example.com | 207-755-5977
Parent Volunteer Timeline: 2017–18
|September||• Set Parents Fund goals
• Bates Parent Fund general solicitation mailed
• Bates Parents Fund MDS Brochure mailed
• Back to Bates: Homecoming & Family Weekend (September 22–24)
|October||• Student Calling begins
|November||• Report of Giving mailed to all FY17 donors
• 2018 Bates Calendar mailed
|December||• Bates Parents Fund solicitation letter from the college
• Pledge reminder sent from the college
• Volunteer outreach to year-end donors (1st contact period)
• End of Tax Year: make your Parents Fund gift!
|March||• Volunteer outreach to parents (2nd contact period)
|May||• Bates Parents Fund solicitation letter from PEC Co-Chairs
• Student Calling ends
|June||• Final volunteer outreach to parents (3rd contact period)
• Bates Parents Fund solicitation letter from the college
• Fiscal Year ends: June 30
Parent Fund Volunteer Responsibilities
- Lead by example: Make your gift to Bates by December 31.
- Contact 5–10 parents about making their Parents Fund gift.
- Share news from campus and speak with other parents about the importance of giving to Bates.
- Encourage parents to return to campus for Back to Bates (September 22–24) or attend Bates events in their area! Visit bates.edu/alumni/events for more information.
- Thank those who make a gift with a personal thank-you.
- Make your own gift to the Parents Fund. You’ll feel more comfortable asking other parents to join you in supporting Bates when you have already made the commitment yourself. Please make your gift by December 31.
- Review your assignments’ contact information and giving histories. Have they given consistently? Did they increase their gift last year? Information on your assignments will be provided by your staff liaison and/or found in the Online Tool.
- Stay informed. The more you know about what’s happening on campus, the easier the conversation will be. The Bates News site is constantly updated with current stories about students, faculty, and college initiatives.
2. Make the contact
- Identify yourself. Make it clear that you are a fellow parent working as a volunteer.
- Find common ground. What does your child cherish most about their Bates experience?
- Make the ask. Ask parents to join you in making a gift to Bates. If they are unsure about giving, reiterate that their gift, whatever the size, truly matters to Bates.
3. Follow up
- Say thank you. You will receive a notification when your assignments make a gift to Bates. Please personally thank those who make a gift as soon as possible.
- Update information. Share updated contact information with your staff liaison or enter it into the Online Tool.
There are many ways to give to Bates. The three most widely used methods are:
- Online at bates.edu/give
- Phone at 888-522-8371
- Check made payable to “The Bates Fund.” Mail to: Bates College, 2 Andrews Road, Lewiston, ME 04240.
Bates Beacons Monthly Giving
The Bates Beacons perpetual giving program allows you to divide your gift to Bates into manageable increments through convenient automatic deductions from your credit card or checking account.
The Garnet Circle honors loyal alumni, parents, and friends who have contributed to Bates for five or more consecutive years, as well as young alumni who have given continuously since graduation.
Mount David Society
The Mount David Society recognizes Parents Fund donors who put the college first in their annual philanthropy with gifts of $2,500 or more.
Parent Executive Council
The Parent Executive Council recognizes donors who give $5,000 or more to the Parents Fund each year.
The Phillips Society celebrates those in the Bates community that have honored the college in their estate plans.