Declaring a major

All students are required to declare a major “plus two” by March 1 of their sophomore year. The Politics Department strongly encourages students to begin thinking about your plans no later than Fall semester of sophomore year, especially if you plan to study off campus as a junior. If you are interested in declaring a Politics major, we recommend you first consult the major requirements in the College catalog. When you are ready to declare, do the following:

1.  Log in to Garnet Gateway and follow the menus to record your intention to major in Politics

2.  Download a copy of the Politics Department’s Major Declaration Form, where you are asked about your major concentration and the courses you plan to take in order to satisfy the requirements. Fill out the form as much as you can.

3.  Schedule a meeting with the department chair, Stephen Engel.  When you meet, bring the form and discuss any questions you have about the major. The chair will sign your Politics declaration form.

4.  At this meeting the chair will also assign a major advisor in consultation with you. While we try to give students their first choice, in order to equalize workload across Politics faculty that may not alway be possible. Also, keep in mind that the assignment of major advisor at this meeting and of thesis advisor late in junior year are entirely separate and one does not depend upon the other.

5.  Take the Politics declaration form to your major advisor, who will sign it and confirm your declaration on Garnet Gateway.

6.  Bring the Politics form back to the chair. Unless you have additional questions or concerns, you do not need to schedule another meeting.

7.  Last but certainly not least, after the chair and major advisor have done their part in Garnet Gateway you will be asked to confirm your Politics declaration there.

While your major, minor and GEC declarations must each begin and end on Garnet Gateway, each department and program has its own procedure for assigning advisors. Please consult the appropriate department or program chair or concentration coordinator for further information about the rest of your “plus two.”