Purposeful Work Funding Request Form
The Bates Center for Purposeful Work is pleased to offer limited financial support to students for special programs, test prep, supplies, travel, and unanticipated events such as these relate to Purposeful Work. These funds do not have to be repaid but we hope that one day in the future when a beneficiary of this support is in a position to assist a current Batesie by giving advice, hosting a job shadow or internship, or by staying involved, they will.
Our office receives and responds to financial requests on a weekly basis. For more pressing emergencies, students should contact the Dean of Students Office.
Factors that are taken into account when considering Purposeful Work Support awards:
- Whether a student is on financial aid (most funds are restricted for students on aid)
- Whether a student has previously received support from these funds
- Extenuating or specific circumstances
Note: Each year, demand exceeds available funding, and in most cases, these monies will not cover the entire request. These funds are not a replacement for financial aid and are intended to cover incidental and unexpected expenses of modest amounts. Additionally, requesting and/or receiving support will not affect a student’s annual financial aid award.
Below is a list of some types of assistance students have requested in the past. Requests for assistance from Purposeful Work are not limited to those on this list:
- Travel (bus, train, car, and air) to and from job shadows, internships, or job interviews
- Test prep courses (GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT)
- Graduate/Professional School application fees
Expenses Not Covered by the Purposeful Work Support Fund:
- Tuition, fees, or study abroad costs
- Non-essential personal bills such as utility, credit card, cable or cell phone bills
- Parking tickets, library fines, or similarly preventable expenses
Requests are considered every week during the academic year and students will be contacted by a member of the Center for Purposeful Work staff via campus email to discuss individual requests.
Once notified, students will work with the staff from the Center for Purposeful Work to ascertain the quickest and easiest way to meet the approved financial request.