B-side: Stories you haven’t heard before
Have you ever felt like a stranger in a strange land?
Tell us all about it — at Reunion 2016!
Debuting this year at Reunion is “B-side: Stories you haven’t heard before” — a storytelling event featuring five-minute, open-mic vignettes from Bates alumni and friends. Think of these stories as the B-sides of vinyl 45 records, the often undiscovered gems that are overshadowed by the heavily promoted A-side tracks, but — despite their lack of top billing — leave the listener with a lot to think about.
And a stronger appreciation for the artist.
“B-side: Stories you haven’t heard before” will be the edgy bonus track to Reunion Weekend festivities — an event where we’ll take in and celebrate authentic narratives and a variety of perspectives.
So if you have story about being a stranger in a strange land, tell it on the B-side!
Saturday, June 11, 2016
Office of Intercultural Education
If you would like to be considered as a B-side storyteller, please submit your story by Wednesday, May 11, for review. If you have questions, please contact Kristina Powell, Associate Director of Multicultural Alumni & Parent Engagement, at 207-786-8376 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit Your Story For Review
Wondering what B-side is all about? Here are some guidelines for “Stranger in a Strange Land” stories:
- FIVE MINUTES: Each open-mic story that is selected to be told will be limited to five minutes.
- FIRST PERSON: Tell a story about something you directly experienced, either by yourself, or along with others. It shouldn’t be someone else’s story.
- FUNDAMENTAL-FACTUAL: Even though good storytelling may involve a little “polishing” of some minor details, at its core, the story you tell must be true. So, for instance, if you’ve never been to Egypt, then your story shouldn’t be about when you went to Egypt.
- FORMAT: No folk tales, musical instruments, poetry, spoken-word, mime, or other genres are appropriate for B-side. The format is limited to true, first-person stories.
- FREE OF NOTES: No written material of any sort, such as notes, will be permitted when telling your story. We in the audience will want to see you have fun telling your story, not reading it.
We look forward to hearing your “Stranger in a Strange Land” stories at Reunion 2016!
Sample stories for B-side