ADM: Summer Interviewer (S99969)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
As the world navigates the COVID-19 pandemic, Admission has had to navigate how to recruit prospective students and guide them through their college process when we can no longer speak face to face, or invite students to our campus; elements we previously relied upon. The role of Summer Intern/Interviewer has been updated to address these changing dynamics in our recruitment strategy, as well as the expectations of remote work. This newly updated role will function as an integral member of the Office of Admission supporting our work of recruiting future classes of Bates College through online and virtual platforms. If you are a student who desires to learn more about admission, outreach, access, and recruitment at Bates, this is the ideal opportunity for you! Through this summer internship, Summer Intern/Interviewer will work to provide prospective students and their families with a unique window into the student experience at Bates College as well as share information about campus life and academic offerings. Interns will connect with prospective families through live virtual tours, live virtual information sessions, live streamed panels, recorded testimonies, email correspondence, and more. Students in the Summer Intern/Interviewer position will also conduct informational interviews to the prospective class of 2025. This position requires enormous flexibility, responsibility, creativity, and a willingness to work not only on short term projects but on longer term task forces to help the office prepare for seasons to come.
This position will work closely with staff members in the Office of Admission and potentially with other campus partners such as Student Affairs, Athletics, and Bates Communications Office, but students in this position should be prepared to work independently. This position will be 30 hours per week of work. Due to the nature of remote work you may not be working a typical 9-5 schedule, but instead building your own schedule around your assigned responsibilities with the help of your supervisor. Work hours will begin no earlier than 8:00am ET and end no later than 7:30pm ET.
*Note: While we foresee this to be a remote role throughout the Summer, in the event that the campus is able to open to visitors in a manner that is aligned with CDC guidelines and best practices, we will work with hired individuals to bring Summer Interns to campus if possible and agreed upon by both parties.
Specific Responsibilities include but may not be limited to:
- Representing the Office of Admission and Bates College at large in all interactions and opportunities
- Demonstrating an ability to confidently speak about all of Bates College’s offerings in addition to highlighting personal experiences at the college
- Co-leading three assigned live virtual tours a week; co-leading one information session with a staff member
- Conducting 15 hours of informational interviews per week
- Working on a task force with staff members to aid in the continued work surrounding future initiatives in the Office of Admission. For examples: updating tour and information session offerings, considering additional resources to aid in recruitment, updating the structure of student work in the current landscape and preparing for the after effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Participating in, and facilitating the organization of livestreamed panels and events of various topics
- Assisting prospective families in learning about Bates through email and phone responses and inquiries
- Other duties as assigned by Admission staff members