ADM: Head Tour Guide (S99896)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
Tour Guides are an integral component of the functioning of the Office of Admission during the academic year and select breaks. As an experienced tour guide, your impact will not only be on visiting prospective students and families but also on the success and mentoring of new tour guides in the Office of Admission. If you are a student who wants to make an impact on campus, are enthusiastic about leadership, and want to learn more about admission, outreach, access, and recruitment at Bates, this is the ideal opportunity for you! Similar to Tour Guides, Head Tour Guides are the first representatives for Bates College and the Office of Admission. Head Tour guides provide prospective students and their families with the unique student perspective to campus life and academic/cultural offerings supplementary to information sessions led by admission staff and/or summer fellows. In addition to the duties of a Tour Guide, Head Tour Guides also provide direct support to new guides by supporting training efforts, mentoring, and facilitating communication between Tour Guides and Tour Guide Coordinators. This role offers opportunities for leadership and professional development at a level above the Tour Guide. We strongly encourage students of all backgrounds, life experiences, majors, and cultures to apply.
Supervisor: Audrey Burns
Office Location: Lindholm 221
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
Education/Experience: At least one year completed at Bates College prior to applying, and at least two semesters of experience as a Bates Tour Guide.
Skills: Applicants must be comfortable with public speaking, greeting and speaking in front of large groups of people, tactfully answering challenging inquiries from prospective students and families, staying calm in the presence of a challenge, and being a supportive mentor for new tour guides. Applicants must be flexible, positive, a team player, enthusiastic about being the first representative of Bates College, and helpful new tour guides become the best authentic representatives of Bates. Applicants must also possess a strong work ethic and professionalism while representing the Office of Admission. Must be able to meet on a biweekly basis with new tour guides, and attend monthly training sessions.
Tour guides work closely with Tour Guide Coordinators, the Tour Guide Supervisor, and admission operations staff, Senior Fellows, and representatives from various campus partners.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Professionally interface with prospective students during the admission process.
- Lead 1 hour weekly tours up to two times per week, subject to calendar and schedule availability.
- Meet with your new tour guide on a consistent monthly basis (at least 2 times).
- Welcome and assist visitors at Lindholm.
- Assist operations/admission staff with clerical and office projects as available.
- Facilitate lunch meetings with prospective students.
- Escort prospective students and families around campus as requested.
- Work with campus partners on special requested tours and panels.
- Participate in required monthly training and engagement events.
- Lead special events tours not limited to the arts, athletics, science, and sustainability.
- Host overnight students as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.