ILS: Public Services Student Specialist (Audio & Circulation Departments) (S9839B)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Public Services Student Specialist is required to deal directly with library patrons from the Bates College community including students, faculty, and staff, as well as local residents and visitors from other colleges and universities. Routine tasks include: working at public service desks, assisting patrons with catalog searches, shelving library materials, and inventory of the library’s collection. This position requires the student to be reliable and punctual.
- Please Note: This position provides no time for studying on the job. All of
the on-the-job time is spent performing the duties listed above.
Department: Information and Library Services
Supervisor: Julie Retelle
Office Location: Ladd Library
Pay Grade: B
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
• Required Education: High school completion.
• Desired Experience: Students with experience working with the public are preferred.
• Reports to: Associate College Librarian for Access Services.
• Works closely with: Other library staff and student employees.
• Environment: fast-paced public service counters and library stacks.
• Physical Requirements: student must have visual acuity sufficient to scan information on books and other materials rapidly and repeatedly for extended periods of time, and to read computer screens for up to several hours a day. He or she must also have the muscular strength adequate to lift heavy books.
• Machines & Equipment Used: Computer systems, barcode scanners, book trucks, telephones, microform reader printers, and audio/video equipment of various kinds