THE: First Hand Stitcher (S9716B)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The First Hand Stitcher assists Costume Manager and Costume Designer in the creation of costumes and scenic soft goods for productions in both Theater and Dance. He or she also supervises the Costume Stitchers on basic sewing tasks.
First Hand Stitcher must have solid skills in sewing and altering garments, and have acquired more advanced skills specific to costuming through previous experience working in the Costume Shop. He or she must be capable of seeing a garment/project through from start to finish, and also be able to supervise less experienced stitchers on basic tasks.
The first hand stitcher will work in the Schaeffer Theater and will do some shopping for fabric and accessories. He or she will also frequently use standard sewing equipment. Specific responsibilities include:
- Cuts and sews fabric based on instructions of the Costume Manager or Costume Designer
- Supervises and instructs Costume Stitchers
- Attends fittings to assist and take notes for Costume Manger or Designer when needed
- Prepares alterations or construction projects for Costume Stitchers
- Performs other duties as assigned by Costume Manager or Costume Designer
- Works with student choreographers to help locate existing dance costumes from Costume Stock
- Stays for rehearsals/performances to serve as Wardrobe Crew
- Takes responsibility for the maintenance of costumes during the production period, including repairs, laundry, etc.