Welcome to the IT Help Desk!
The IT Help Desk is the central location for all IT related support and questions. If you are looking for an answer to a problem, start here:
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- You can search our FAQs or browse through the different categories.
- If you are unable to find your answer, submit a service request.
- This service is only available to current Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Anyone may also create a service request by emailing the IT Help Desk.
Training Tip of the Week – Using a Password Vault (10/19/2018)
CAB* – Using a Password Vault
Friday, October 19, 2018
As IT Professionals, we often hear about the number of web accounts and passwords an individual needs to remember, and we are asked for recommendations for managing all of these accounts and for creating strong passwords. We do indeed have a recommendation for a tool that you can use at Bates and personally for yourself, known as a password vault. A password vault is essentially an application, website, or web browser plug-in that you can use to securely store your username and password for the websites you visit.
At Bates, if you are responsible for any of the following:
- Managing and using numerous website passwords for the work you do at the college
- Share passwords with other colleagues
- Share other information that should remain secure, such as credit card information, safe combinations, and building access codes
If you meet any of the above criteria, PLEASE contact the IT Help Desk to request a password vault account. Once your account has been created, our IT Instructional Support Manager will also meet with you to assist you in implementing and learning all about your new account.
The college utilizes a password vault known as LastPass Enterprise. With LastPass Enterprise, all you have to do is remember one password and LastPass Enterprise will do the rest! LastPass Enterprise allows you to do everything above securely, plus much more!
If you are interested in using a password vault for your own personal accounts and passwords, there are many free and pay for password vaults that are available, and thanks to PC Magazine, they have compiled a list of the best free and pay for password vaults.
If you are interested in using the same password vault as Bates, you can get a free LastPass Personal account that will provide you with the following features:
- Secure Password Vault
- Access On All Devices
- One-to-one Sharing
- Save and Fill Passwords
- Password Generator
- Secure Notes
- Security challenge
- Multi-Factor Authentication
- LastPass Authenticator
*CAB – Cyber Aware Bobcat
Meetings and Collaboration
Stand Up Collaborative Meetings: Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from 9:00am to 9:15am at the IT Help Desk in The George and Helen Ladd Library.
Weekly Staff Meeting: Wednesday’s from 3:00pm to 4:00pm at an off-site location.