Welcome to the IT Help Desk!
The IT Help Desk is the central location for all IT related support and questions. If you are looking for an answer to a problem, start here:
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- You can search our FAQs or browse through the different categories.
- If you are unable to find your answer, submit a service request.
- This service is only available to current Faculty, Staff, and Students.
- Anyone may also create a service request by emailing the IT Help Desk.
Training Tip of the Week – Smart Compose (10/05/2018)
G Suite – Smart Compose
Friday, October 5, 2018
In April 2018, Google released an updated and refreshed interface to one of its flagship products – Gmail. With this fresh new look came a cleaner and brighter interface with some pretty cool features, including Smart Reply, Hover Actions, The Google Apps Side Bar, Snooze, and Nudges. On September 26, 2018, Gmail began to roll out a new and highly-anticipated feature known as Smart Compose. Similar to Smart Reply that uses machine learning and artificial intelligence to provide you with three reply suggestions. Smart Compose uses the same machine learning and artificial intelligence as Smart Reply, but predicts what you’re going to type, and provides you with suggested phrases to complete your sentences, therefore drafting an email message is even faster! I’ve been using the Smart Compose feature for about a week, and I’ve been very impressed with its level of accuracy in predicting my sentences and providing suggested phrases in my writing style.
Smart Compose is now available in Bates Gmail, and you may have already been prompted to enable it through a blue pop-up box about Smart Compose. All you have to do is click on the Got it link and Smart Compose will be enabled. If you clicked on the Turn off link because you were not sure what this message or feature was about, you can always enable or disable it through your Bates Gmail Settings.
As with some of the new features being rolled out in Gmail, including Smart Reply, Nudges, and Smart Compose, they can be turned off if you find them to be distracting, something you won’t use, or just too creepy.
Enabling or Disabling Smart Compose –
Access your Settings:
- On the top-right, click on the Settings Gear
- From the drop-down menu, click Settings
- From the General tab, scroll-down to the Smart Compose section and click on the radio button next to one of the following:
- Writing suggestions on
- Writing suggestions off
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Save Changes button
Using Smart Compose –
Once you have enabled the Smart Compose feature, you will begin to receive suggested phrases as you type your sentences. To accept the suggested phrase press the “Tab” key and continue typing.
Meetings and Collaboration
Stand Up Collaborative Meetings: Tuesday’s and Thursday’s from 9:00am to 9:15am at the IT Help Desk in The George and Helen Ladd Library.
Weekly Staff Meeting: Wednesday’s from 3:00pm to 4:00pm at an off-site location.