G Suite – Groups & Replying (IT Training Tip)
G Suite Groups (aka email distribution lists) is a great communication tool when you need to correspond to a specific group of individuals who may share a common interest. Sometimes a G Suite Group can also create some awkward and/or embarrassing moments, especially when you accidentally reply to the entire group instead of a specific individual or message author. This week’s Training Tip will provide some tips to help eliminate sending a response to the wrong individual for both G Suite Group Administrators and Members.
As a G Suite Group Administrator, you can choose where you want message replies to go (entire group or author of the message).
To check or change this setting:
- Access and manage your G Suite Group
- In the left column, click on Setting to expand that section
- From the drop-down menu, click on Email options
- In the middle window pane, access the Post replies section
- Click on the drop-down menu and choose one of the following
- To the entire group
- To the author of the message only
As a Group Member, when replying to a G Suite Group message, always verify the “To” address to see where the message reply is going before you click on the Send button.
Use Undo Send, so if you realize that you have replied to the entire group instead of the author, you may have up to 30 seconds to recall the message and change the “To” address. Once the message is sent and the cancellation period has expired, there is no way to recall it.
Changing the Cancellation Period for Undo Send –
Login to your Bates G Suite Account:
- On your computer, open your Bates Gmail account from within a web browser (Recommended: Google Chrome) and log in
Access your Settings:
- On the top-right, click on the Settings Gear
- From the drop-down menu, click Settings
- From the General tab, scroll-down to the Undo Send section
- Click on the drop-down menu in the Cancellation Period section
- Select your Cancellation Period
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Save Changes button
If your Reply to a Group Message may be of an Excitable Tone –
- Save the message as a Draft
- Take a few minutes to gather your thoughts
- Later review the message
- Verify that the message is going to the correct individual or group
- Click on the Send button