Bobcat Spotlight!

In celebration of Latina/o/x, Chicana/o/x, Hispanic heritage experience we highlight Rachel Retana!

Rachel is a double major in gender and sexuality studies, and identities and interest politics with a minor in Africana studies. She is from Chicago, Illinois! Rachel is a proud Mexican American!

After Bates I plan on returning to my community in Chicago, and work with youth in low-income neighborhoods to achieve a better more accessible education. Growing up in the Chicago Public School system where only 19% of CPS freshmen are projected to earn their bachelor’s degree within 10 years of starting high school, I want to make obtaining a higher education more accessible to these students. Working within Chicago Public Schools, I plan on providing academic and mental health resources to all students in order to build strong foundations for the youth in these communities. These goals involve partaking in roles in classrooms and gaining a better understanding of CPS through a wholistic approach. I want to return to where I began, and give back to the community that has shaped who I am today.

Office Hours:

Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM