Dorothy Holt, Oct. 6, 1997.
A teacher and librarian, Dorothy Holt taught English for 16 years in the New York schools of Oxford, Port Jervis (where she also was drama coach), and Elmira. In the summers she studied at Columbia, Chautauqua, and Genesee normal schools, earning the New York State Permanent Library Certificate. Earlier she had been an elementary school teacher for 23 years. From 1947 to 1949 she assisted in the library at Potsdam State College (now SUNY/Potsdam). After she retired in 1961, she took a course at Lewis Hotel Training School in Washington, D.C., traveled, and, in 1969, moved to Grey Gables in Ojai, Calif., home of National Retired Teachers Assn., where she pursued her lifelong interest in Shakespeare as a member of the Shakespeare Club, and sang in a local choir. A member of national, state, and county teachers associations, she also belonged to the National Retired Teachers Assn. She had no immediate survivors except a niece, Barbara Schenck Collins ’51.
Katharine E. O’Brien, April 10, 1998.
A mathematician, musician, and poet, Katharine E. O’Brien was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and the Bates Key. After teaching a year at Smith College, she earned her M.A. at Cornell in 1924, where she was elected to Sigma Xi, and a Ph.D. in 1939 at Brown. During her 43-year teaching career, she chaired the math department at the College of New Rochelle for 11 years, then moved back to her hometown of Portland to teach math at Deering High School. Her students won state and national math contests and in 1964 the graduating class established a math award in her honor. The five summers she taught math teachers at Brown was “sheer joy,” she said. She studied piano in New York City, played in many recitals, composed a choral setting for a Thomas Hardy poem, and she directed the Girls’ Glee Club at Deering High School. In 1967 she published a book of poems, Excavation and Other Verse, and her poetry was published in 40 magazines, newspapers, and anthologies. Among her many honors were the prestigious Deborah Morton Award from Westbrook College in 1985, an honorary Doctor of Science in Education degree from the University of Maine in 1960 and an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Bowdoin in 1965. She was elected to the New York Academy of Science in 1967, was a fellow of the International Academy of Poetry, and was among those at a Smithsonian event honoring American women who earned Ph.D.s prior to 1940. For Katharine O’Brien, the greatest honor was when “something I said or did…reached some unlikely student and made a difference in his or her life.” She was a member of many professional organizations and she was a communicant of St. Joseph’s Church. A sister, Mary O’Brien, predeceased her in 1978. There are no other relatives.
James W. Mitchell, April 28, 1998.
Later to become a priest who served Episcopal Anglican churses for 55 years, James W. Mitchell left high school to serve in the U.S. Navy in France and England during World War I. He then attended Bates for two years before attending Bishop Payne Divinity School (now integrated with the Protestant Episcopal Seminary in Virginia), where he was valedictorian of his Class of 1928. For 55 years, starting in 1928, he served churches in Washington, D.C., Massachusetts, Virginia, and in Jamaica, West Indies, where he lived for 20 years. Prior to World War II he worked for the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and during the war he was a machinist at the Watertown Arsenal and worked at Brighton Marine Hospital in Boston. A member of the Union of Black Episcopalians, he belonged to the Fellowship of the Way of the Cross. It is said that James Mitchell enjoyed working with people, and valued education in public schools, local libraries, museums, the theater, and hymn sings. He was known to ride his bicycle wherever he lived, and he had a lifelong interest in cars, especially his old Land Rover. Survivors include his wife, Eleanor; daughters Jewell, Jean, Josephine, and Pamela; sons Michael and David; 14 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren. Sons Peter and Jonathan predeceased him.
Harold B. Simpson, April 12, 1998.
A hardy member of the remarkable Class of 1925, Harold Simpson remained active throughout his life. He worked, initially, in Rhode Island at James Simpson & Sons Inc., manufacturers of worsted yarns in Pawtucket. He became traffic manager at Pantex Pressing Machines Inc., in Central Falls and in the 1950s was manager of the company’s heating division. In recent years, Mr. Simpson lived a busy life in Sevierville, Tenn., hiking and swimming regularly each week, visiting shut-ins, and attending the special 1925 reunions up until recently, accompanied by his daughter, Eva. He was a member of the Pawtucket Congregational Church and attended the First United Methodist Church of Sevierville. Among his survivors are daughters Eva and Gloria; seven grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; and nephew Robert Simpson. His brother was the late James Simpson ’25, who attended Bates for a year.
Lewis E. Walton, Feb. 19, 1998.
An educator and loyal son of Bates, Lewis Walton was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, College Club, and he was an honor student and debater. He earned a master’s from Brown Univ. in 1929 and a Ph.D. in 1950 from the Univ. of Pennsylvania. For several years after graduation, he taught at high schools in Meriden, N.H., at Technical High School in Providence, R.I., and at Reading (Pa.) High School. In the 1940s he moved to Florida and taught at Miami Univ. School of Education, a position he held until he retired in 1968 with the rank of full professor. In 1963 he collaborated on a text, Items in Education, and published short stories and poetry includingPoetic Pathways, 1997. He was a member of the Student Personnel Assn. for Teacher Education, the American Personnel and National Vocational Guidance associations, and the NEA. “A wonderfully loyal alum,” said a member of this exceptional Class of 1925. “Ike” Walton was an officer in the Everglades Bates Club, serving as president for two different terms. He was at Bates for the 60th Class Reunion in 1985 and never missed the “irregular” reunions on the Maine coast. Lewis Walton leaves his wife, the former Anne Long, whom he married in 1927.
Frank M. Maxim, Feb. 27, 1998.
After he graduated from Bates, Frank Maxim taught at Hampton (N.H.) Junior High School, then in Maine at Mapleton and Millinocket. In 1938 he began teaching at the former Auburn Maine School of Commerce. The AMC Class of 1966 dedicated their yearbook to Mr. Maxim for being “a person who is warm, thoughtful and friendly…who is concerned about the well being and future of his students.” He retired in 1969. A 73-year member of Ashlar Lodge 105 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, he had been vice president of the First Church of Christ Scientist at one time. Among his survivors are his wife and classmate, Helene (Stearns); daughter Beverly; a sister; and nieces and nephews.
Walter O. Hodsdon, April 11, 1998.
An active debater and member of Delta Sigma Rho, Walter Hodsdon was elected to College Club and Phi Delta Phi. He was a chemist at Bell Telephone Labs in New York City after graduation. He earned his LL.B. in 1934 at New York Univ. by going to school at night, then became a patent attorney for Eastman Kodak in Rochester, N.Y. During World War II he worked on the Manhattan Project in Berkeley, Calif., for six months; for the rest of the war he was assistant to the works manager at Oak Ridge, Tenn. Returning to Eastman, Mr. Hodsdon was manager of the Kodak Park Works Section in the patent department. He retired in 1971. A member of the Monroe (N.Y.) County and New York bar associations, he belonged to the Rochester Patent Law Assn. He was an avid trap shooter, former New York state champion, and active in Rochester sports clubs. Survivors include son Walter Jr.; daughter Valerie; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. His wife, Meredith, predeceased him in 1991.
Yvonne Langlois Berkelman, May 24, 1998.
Yvonne Langlois Berkelman was an elected member of Phi Beta Kappa, Delta Sigma Rho, and the Bates Key. Accomplished both as an organist and pianist, she had been organist at St. Michael’s Church and often performed for local groups on the piano as soloist and accompanist. During the 1940s she headed the Philharmonic Club. She also served as president of the Lewiston-Auburn College Club and the Woman’s Society of the United Baptist Church. Fluent in French, she taught the language at Lewiston High School during World War II. With her husband, the late Professor Robert Berkelman, she traveled the world, visiting 64 countries including mainland China and Tokyo, where they renewed acquaintance with Kazushige Hirasawa ’36, editor ofThe Tokyo Times, and his family. Many summers were spent exploring and photographing cathedrals in the British Isles and Europe which, along with their common interest in art and literature, formed the basis for lectures to local groups, thus enriching the lives of many. For 20 years Mrs. Berkelman taught art courses at the YWCA, and was a guide on European trips. Class secretary for more than 60 years, she was a member of the Auburn Art Club, YWCA, and United Baptist Church. Survivors include daughter Anne ’57; son Karl; and grandsons Tom, Jim and Peter. Her husband predeceased her in 1976.
Frank P. Panzarella, Feb. 10, 1998.
A chemist by profession, Frank Panzarella began his career as a biochemist at Killian Research Lab in New York. He earned an M.S. in 1943 and a Ph.D. in 1947 at Fordham Univ., where he also was an instructor in the biochemistry lab. He became a research fellow in chemistry at the Fordham Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. In the 1960s, Dr. Panzarella was CEO and president of Doak Pharmaceuticals Corp. He originated the skin care dermatologic concept which resulted in his discovery of Formula 405 and other dermatological products. In 1985 he named his firm Frank P. Panzarella, Ph.D., and Research Associates. He had served in England during World War II and had been awarded Man of the Year by the Boys’ Town of Italy. A member of the American Academy of Dermatology, the New York Academy of Science, AAAS, Jamaica Clinical and Biochemistry Lab, he also had been president of the business organization, INC. Among his family members are son Frank Jr.; daughter Nancy; two grandchildren; and several brothers and sisters. A son, Paul, predeceased him.
Margaret Jacobs Snider, Feb. 2, 1998.
Margaret Jacobs Snider received a B.S. from Simmons College in 1932 after two years at Bates. She was assistant reference librarian and high school assistant at the Portland Public Library. Following her marriage to John Snider, she was a homemaker in Columbus, Ohio. Later, for 17 years she was reference librarian at the Newton (Mass.) Free Library, retiring in 1975. She leaves sons Charles and William ’58; and daughter-in-law Norma (Tennett ’56).
Jeannette Wilson Whittier, May 3, 1998.
An English major at Bates, Jeannette Wilson Whittier was a homemaker and mother. An active member of the Lewiston-Auburn community, she was a charter member of the Lewiston-Auburn Little Theater and past president of the L.A. College Club. She belonged to the Auburn Art Club, YWCA, and the High Street Congregational Church. She leaves sons David and Edward; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Her husband, Quentin, predeceased her in 1982.
Norman P. Priest, March 16, 1998.
Norman Priest was a lifelong resident of Connecticut, where he was a dairy farmer in Wapping in the 1940s. He then developed a horticultural business and was a nurseryman at Tumblebrook Rhododendron Nursery in Bloomfield. He had been a member of the American Rock Garden Society, the American Rhododendron Society, and the Connecticut Milk Producers Assn. His wife, Edna Canham Priest ’37, survives; his sister-in-law was the late Ruth Canham Diehl ’27.
Gertrude Stevens Davis, March 3, 1998.
Following graduation, Gertrude Stevens Davis taught in the Ludlow, Maine, elementary school for a year, then at Mechanic Falls High School. She married Lee Davis in 1937 and was a homemaker and mother. After his death in 1959, she returned to teaching in Canton, Maine, moving to Jacksonville, Fla., in the sixties where she taught fifth grade until retiring in 1979. Mrs. Davis had been a volunteer for the Jacksonville USO and was a communicant of St. Paul’s Catholic Church there. She leaves daughters June and Linda; sons Lee Jr. and Peter; 14 grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; a brother and sisters Patricia and Sadie ’39. Her father was the late Oscar A. Stevens 1899.
Bette Davis Henderson, Sept. 30, 1997.
Bette Davis Henderson, who attended Bates for three years, worked in Coram Library as an undergraduate. She also was on the staff at the State Library in Augusta. Leaving Maine for several years, she was a librarian in Galesburg, Mich., and was an assistant at Lake Erie College in Ohio. After the Hendersons moved to Camden, she worked part time at the ABC bookshop there, and in the 1970s became the owner of the Dolphin Book Store, which dealt in rare and out-of-print books. She retired in 1985. She leaves twin daughters Deborah and Rachel. Her husband, Everett, predeceased her on April 29, 1997.
Edith Milliken Wade, Feb. 17, 1998.
A charter member of the Bates Key, Edith Milliken Wade served as its first secretary-treasurer. A campus leader, she was president of Women’s Student Government in 1935-36. Following work as a secretary for the Boston law firm of Barker, Davison & Shattuck, she married William E. Wade Jr. ’34 in 1938. A devoted homemaker and mother in Pennington, N.J., she was a longtime member of the Presbyterian Church, serving as a deacon, trustee and president of the Women’s Association. In Pennington, she was a volunteer at the library for 15 years, an enthusiastic member of local bridge clubs, and for 10 years worked for the Gallup Poll in Princeton. While her husband was mayor of Pennington, she worked in various volunteer tasks for the borough. Most recently she lived in Dexter, Mich., with her son William III, where she was also near daughter Ellen Wade Lundy and family. In addition, she leaves two grandchildren; a great-granddaughter; several nieces and nephews; sister Dorothy M. Sigsbee ’42; sister-in-law Elizabeth MacDonald Reed ’37; and brother-in-law Robert G. Wade ’23. She was predeceased by her husband, by brother Carl Jr. ’35, and sisters Nelly ’23, Vivian ’24, Gladys ’26, and Beatrice ’28. Her parents were Carl E. and Emma Chase Milliken of the Class of 1897, and her aunt was Harriet Milliken Bryant 1904.
Henry A. Sawin, May 3, 1998.
Henry “Hank” Sawin maintained a lifelong interest in Bates although he was a student for one year. A friend said, “He has served with distinction in many civic, church, fraternal, and genealogical groups.” Following several years as construction engineer and employment manager for Wyman-Gordon Co., in Worcester, Mass., he was vice president and part owner of Sheppard Envelope Co. for 12 years, retiring in 1979. In Massachusetts, he was an officer in numerous patriotic and hereditary societies: SAR, Founders and Patriots, Descendants of Colonial Clergy, Masons, a director of Innovative Learning International, friend of Old Sturbridge Village, and a member of the Sawin Memorial Historical Society of Dover. He belonged to the First Baptist Church, where he had been deacon, Sunday school teacher and member of the finance board. Hank also collected antiques, was the owner of the largest private collection of Sawin Clocks in the world, and traveled extensively with Evelyn, his wife of 61 years. In addition to his wife, he leaves sons David and Paul; daughter Pamela; five grandchildren, including Stephen Sawin ’87; and four great-grandchildren.
W. Franklin Simpson, Feb. 15, 1998.
Franklin “Red” Simpson was known as a great tennis player at Bates and never missed a Reunion in 50 years. In 1937 he was a sales representative with Dixie-Vortex Co. in Easton, Pa., then worked for 40 years at American Can Co. of Springfield, Mass., where he was an executive salesman. He retired in 1977. Red Simpson leaves his wife of 60 years, Evangeline Jane; daughters Suzanne and Sandra; two granddaughters; and five great-granddaughters.
Eugene S.T. Connell, March 4, 1998.
Eugene Connell worked as a clerk at Johnson & Higgins brokerage in Teaneck, N.J., then served in the U.S. Army during World War II and in the Korean War. He was owner and salesman for Commercial Office Supply, and at one time was named Salesman of the Year. Interested in antiques and fine arts collecting, “Gene” Connell enjoyed travel with his fifth-wheel trailer, golf, and was an enthusiastic fan of the Univ. of New Mexico sports teams. His wife, Billie, survives as do sons Charles and Steve; daughters Julia, Eileen, Elizabeth, Linda, Mary, and Amy; 13 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Ernest E. Robinson, April 18, 1998.
Ernest “Robbie” Robinson was a debater elected to Delta Sigma Rho and was a member of College Club and the football team. In the 1960s he was president of the New Jersey Bates Club. A native of Old Town, he was one of the youngest registered guides in Maine, was a member of Trout Unlimited, an avid fly fisherman and fly tier, bow hunter, and photographer. To his friend, John Radebaugh ’48, he was “at his best as a devil’s advocate as we discussed political issues…. He was an amateur authority on American history, could recite poetry from Tennnyson or Frost or numerous other poets…. His knowledge of mycology or mushrooms was encyclopedic and appreciation of the gourmet flavor of fiddlehead ferns was ecstatic.” Ernest Robinson earned his M.A. at the Ohio State Univ. in 1940, where he was elected to Phi Delta Kappa. He taught at Rockland (Maine) High School and was a social studies teacher at Shaker Heights (Ohio) Junior High School, then worked in personnel and public relations positions until 1952. He was representative for the mid-Atlantic district of the Oil Industry Information Committee, then became public relations director of the New Jersey Manufacturer’s Assn. in 1957. He retired in 1980 as vice president of what had become the New Jersey Business and Industry Assn. Active in civic and community organizations, Ernest Robinson was director of the successful clean water campaign in New Jersey, and later was appointed by the governor as chairman of a work force on the teaching of economics in public schools. A trustee of both the Conservation and Environmental Studies Center and the Educational Improvement Center of South Jersey, he was a founder of the Employer Legislative Committee of the state, a member of Newark’s Downtown Club, and past president of Rotary. A member of St. Thomas Episcopal Church of Hanover, N.H., he served on the vestry. He leaves his wife, Olga, with whom he established the endowed Olga K. and Ernest E. Robinson ’37 Scholarship Fund at Bates for students from northern Maine; daughters Sharen and Linda; five grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; a sister; and nieces and nephews.
Belle Turner Dunham Muller, March 17, 1998.
After graduation, Belle Dunham Muller worked at First National Bank in Lewiston and for Harriman Associates in Auburn. After serving as secretary to the Auburn superintendent of schools, she became business administrator for the Auburn School System, a position she held for 14 years, and she was a member of the Assn. of School Business Officials. In retirement she developed a small crafts business with knot goods, gemstone jewelry, and she was a skilled leather carver. Devoted to her family, she enjoyed travel in their RV, their cottage at Sabbathday Lake, and their camp at Small Point. She also had traveled during World War II. An avid reader, she enjoyed word games and earlier had been an active walker, swimmer, and gardener. She sang in her church choir and assisted in reorganizing the children’s section of the Turner Public Library. Among her survivors are sons Thomas and Lon; three grandchildren; and a sister. In 1981 she was predeceased by her husband, Arthur, whom she married in 1942, and by cousin Pauline Turner Talbot ’38 in 1996.
Alice Neily Gray, March 30, 1998.
A homemaker and mother, Alice Neily Gray also had taught English, her college major, in the Massachusetts high schools of Whitinsville and Auburn. She wrote the 1951-1952 libretti for children’s records produced by Mercury Records of New Jersey. Throughout her life she was active in the Baptist churches pastored by her husband, the late Clifton D. Gray Jr. ’36. She was interested in social history wherever she lived, which included Putnam, Conn.; Manchester, N.H.; Worcester, Mass.; and Marshall, Mo., where she had lived since 1960. Alice Neily Gray was president of the Marshall chapter of AAUW, a member of United Empire Loyalists of Canada, and a patroness of Delta Zeta Sorority at Missouri Valley College. In recent years she had lived at Mar-Saline Manor in Marshll. Her survivors include sons David, Clifton III, and Edward; two grandchildren; three step-grandchildren; and niece Joyce Gray Allman ’54. She was predeceased by her husband; by family members Paul Gray ’26 and Malcolm and Marian Ripley Gray ’26; and by father-in-law Clifton Daggett Gray, third President of the College.
John W. McCue, Dec. 21, 1997.
For two years after he graduated from Bates, John McCue worked in sales for the Stanley Tool Co. of New Britain, Conn. During World War II he spent 19 months in China as a captain in the 14th Air Force, earning Silver Star and Bronze Star medals and the Purple Heart. For 32 years he was sales manager for the Norton Co. of Worcester, Mass., in Chicago, Detroit, and Indianapolis. While in the Chicago area, he was secretary-treasurer of the Bates Club there, a trustee of the Glen Oaks Acres Community Assn. and editor of their news bulletin, a member of the Evanston YMCA and Wilmette Golf Club. He retired from the Detroit Crown Supply Co. in 1978. A member of the American Society of Tool Engineers, the Chicago Manufacturers Representatives Assn., he belonged to the Church of Good Shepherd Episcopal in Tequesta, Fla. He is survived by his wife, Jean; daughters Lee and Gail; and two grandchildren.
Mildred Brown Ray, Feb. 23, 1998.
Mildred Brown Ray was a homemaker, mother, and musician. After she graduated with a degree in sociology and economics, she worked in Worcester, Mass., as a bank clerk, secretary, and bookkeeper and served as secretary-treasurer of the Worcester Bates Club. Following her marriage to Farrell Woodard in 1943, she lived in Billings, Mont., where she raised her four children. She had played in orchestras of Colorado, New Hampshire, and Missoula, Mont., as well as in Billings, where she was an active member of the Symphony Chorus and a violinist in the Symphony Orchestra. She earned a GRE at Eastern Montana College, took courses in English and philosophy, and for many years was an accountant in a legal firm and self-employed as well. A member of Eastern Star, AAUW, and a Hospice volunteer, she enjoyed outdoor activities such as canoeing, skiing, and gardening. She had taught swimming and walked 40 miles a week as recently as 1994. Her “great passion,” however, was her music. She leaves daughters Joanne and Nancy; sons John and Allen; five grandchildren; one great-grandchild; step-children Kathy, Janie, and Howard Ray; and one step-great-grandchild. She was predeceased in 1988 by her husband, Richard, whom she married in 1966.
Hildreth H. Fisher, April 25, 1998.
Following three years at Bates, Hildreth “Bud” Fisher graduated from Clark Univ. in 1943. During World War II he attended Officer Candidate School at Quantico and served in Okinawa as a communications officer in the U.S. Marine Reserve 3rd Amphibious Corps. He was recalled to serve in the Korean War, returning with the rank of captain. For 37 years he worked at New England Telephone Co. and was rate engineer when he retired in 1982. He belonged to the First Congregational Church of South Portland and the Telephone Pioneers. He was active in the Portland Lyric Theater for 30 years, from serving on the board to constructing sets and acting. He also was a member and treasurer of the Portland Men’s Singing Club. While living in Bath, he was a member and moderator of the Winter St. Congregational Church, director of both the Chamber of Commerce and Rotary, and chaired the special gifts committee of March of Dimes. Among his survivors are his wife of 54 years, Jean Keneston Fisher ’42; daughter Susan; son Stephen; eight grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and sister Virginia Fisher Briggs ’43. He was predeceased by daughter Katherine in 1951, son Thomas II in 1990, and parents-in-law Sheldon ’16 and Maude Howard Keneston ’15.
William J. Crean Jr., Jan. 4, 1998.
Following two years at Bates, William Crean served during World War II, earning the combat infantryman’s badge. In 1943 he was a prisoner of war in Germany. He then worked for an oil burner wholesale firm in New Brunswick, N.J. In 1969 he was president of Sid Harvey of Missouri Inc., retiring in 1987. Among his survivors are his wife, Dorothy, and son Peter.
Eva Fowler Wright, March 12, 1998.
A homemaker and mother, Eva Fowler Wright raised their six children in New Jersey, where her husband was a professor at Rutgers Univ. After the family was grown, she worked “just for fun” as office manager and columnist for the Cranberry Press of New Jersey, writing a weekly column. In 1990, the Wrights moved to Kona, Hawaii, to be near two daughters, Elizabeth and Rebecca, and their families. She also is survived by her husband, Frank, and sons Christopher, Jonathan, Gregory, and Timothy.
Alice Spooner Saunders, Nov. 18, 1997.
Alice Spooner Saunders was a homemaker, mother, and teacher. She earned her M.A. from Indiana Univ. in 1946. One of three women graduate assistants at the time, she taught psychology at Indiana until 1946 when she became head of the psychology department at Canterbury College in Danville, Ind. Then, for 12 years she was an accountant and personnel manager at the family business, Saunders Enterprises, and returned to teaching in 1965 at Edison Junior College in Fort Myers, Fla. She received a 1967 National Science Foundation Grant for additional study, and was professor of psychology at Edison when she retired. Always interested in writing, Alice Saunders wrote two novels and had others planned. She was included among Outstanding Educators of America in 1970, was elected to Delta Kappa Gamma and had served as vice president of the Hoosier Bates Club from 1959 to 1961. Among her survivors, she leaves her husband, Marion, and sons Thomas and David. Her father was Thomas Spooner 1905, Sc.D. ’45, and her grandfather was Thomas Spooner 1874, Cobb 1877, who was a Bates Overseer from 1886 to 1895.
Nancy Lord Daniels, April 18, 1998.
A member of the Bates Key and Delta Sigma Rho, Nancy Lord Daniels was the first alumni president of the Class of 1945. She had a lifetime interest in genealogy and local history, initially as a researcher for the Family Record section of Mirror to America, a history of her hometown of New London, N.H. During that time she taught in Enfield High School and at Towle High School in Newport. She was the first woman member of the Penn State College area school board, serving from 1961 to 1981, and was a member of both the Pennsylvania and national school board associations. For the past 23 years, Nan Lord Daniels was a free-lance editor and indexer. She wrote “Control, Not Discipline,” an article for the Alternatives in Education issue of the August 1980Bates Magazine. A UNICEF volunteer for 15 years, she also was a volunteer at the Jonesport Library after the family moved to Maine in 1987. Known as the “Story Lady” at the library, a program she began, she also read to patients at a local nursing home and was the registrar of voters for the town. At the time of her death, she was indexing her grandmother’s 1899 history of New London. Nan Lord Daniels leaves her husband of 50 years, Robert ’45; sons Douglas, James, and Andrew; daughters Sarah and Elizabeth; and seven grandchildren.
Carolyn Peterson Woodcock, March 14, 1998.
A member of the Bates Key, Carolyn Peterson Woodcock was a mother, homemaker, and an active participant in her community. She married classmate Eugene Woodcock in 1945 and lived in California for 38 years. A member of the Victoriaville United Methodist Church and Women’s Club, she sang in the church choir regularly and had been church secretary at one time. She belonged to the Helendale Chamber of Commerce, the Lions Club, and Arts and Crafts Guild of Silver Lakes, and was a former member of the YWCA Menettes service club of Monrovia. In the 1970s, she worked in the library of Citrus Community College. Active in Bates alumni affairs, Carolyn Woodcock was the 1945 class co-president with her husband, co-editor of the 50th Reunion yearbook, and represented Bates at the Harvey Mudd College presidential inauguration last February. Survivors include her husband of 52 years; sons Carl, Michael, and Christopher; daughters Karen and Wendy Woodcock Mitchell ’71; and six grandchildren. Her extended Bates family includes Richard ’48 and Mary Gibbs Woodcock ’49 and Horace ’50 and Carol Woodcock Record ’52; she was predeceased by her parents, Charles ’21 and Beatrice Clark Peterson ’22, and parents-in-law Karl ’18 and Hazel Luce Woodcock ’22.
Katherine Barbalias, Sept. 6, 1997.
Throughout her life, Katherine Barbalias taught English and French in Maine high schools at Canton, Dixfield, and for 38 years at Brunswick High School, retiring in 1986. She earned her M.Ed. at UMaine in 1955. Interested in theater, she had the title role in The Heiress at Brunswick Workshop Theater in 1953. A member of Maine Teachers Assn., she belonged to the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Lewiston. Survivors include four brothers and several nieces and nephews.
Russell W. Burns, Feb. 6, 1998.
As an undergraduate, Russell Burns played football and was captain of the baseball team. He became an instructor and coach at Gorham (Maine) High School before joining the U.S. Navy. After a job as civilian recreation director at the SAC Air Base, he was an administrative officer for cost control in the office of the Branch of Industrial Engineers. In 1968 Mr. Burns was inspector general for the Army in St. Louis, Mo., and later was chief of program planning as director for maintenance with the U.S. Army in Florissant. He retired in 1987 from civil service and the USNR. He was on the board of a major credit union in St. Louis and a trustee advisor to the group of subdivisions in St. Charles where he made his home. Surviving are sons Kevin, Brad, Donald, David, and Thomas; daughters Catherine, Stacey, Louise; and seven grandchildren.
Linden O. Blanchard, Nov. 24, 1997.
Following service in World War II, Linden Blanchard returned to Bates and, in 1946, was a member of the state championship football team that played against the Univ. of Toledo in the Glass Bowl. He also had studied at Union College with a General Electric scholarship. “Lindy” Blanchard taught math and science at Winthrop (Maine) High School and was an intern at the state YMCA camp in the summer. After a stint as head football coach at South Hadley (Mass.) High School, he went to MIT as an electronics technician, and in 1955 he worked at RCA in Waltham as an electronic engineer. When he retired after 1985, he had been a senior electrical engineer at AVCO in Wilmington, Mass. He married the former Frances Palaro in 1947 and they were parents of sons Alan, Mark, and Christopher, and daughter Bonnie.
Ruth Burgess Hatch, Feb. 22, 1998.
After traveling in the United States and Great Britain as a service wife, Ruth Burgess Hatch taught school in Waldoboro. In 1967 she earned her M.Ed. at Indiana Univ. of Pennsylvania, specializing in remedial reading. For several years she taught English at Everett (Mass.) High School, substituted in Wellesley, and was a fourth-grade team aide at Woodland School in Weston. In 1974 she married Charles Hatch. While in the Boston area, she was an incorporator and director of the Scandinavian Heritage Fund. The Hatches moved to California to continue their teaching careers. She was an aide in the ESL programs at Santa Barbara High School and Goleta Valley Junior High. A musician, she played piano, sang, and directed church choirs and was a member of the choir of the Unitarian Society and the Santa Barbara Oratorio Chorale. Her husband survives, as do sons Bryan Hodgkins, Blair Hodgkins, and Alexander Hatch; daughter Victoria Hatch; several grandchildren; her mother; and a sister.
Ellsworth T. Johnson, Feb. 26, 1998.
Ellsworth Johnson earned his J.D. from Suffolk Law School in 1955 and a B.A. from Harvard’s Liberal Arts Extension in 1973. A World War II veteran, he served in Massachusetts as counsel for the Labor Relations Commission and became general counsel for the state’s Department of Natural Resources in 1970. He held a similar position with the Water Pollution Control Agency in 1976. A member of state and county bar associations, Ellsworth Johnson was counsel for the Cape Ann Social Relations Committee and a member of the by-law committee of the local Council of Churches. He leaves a sister and cousin Harry Gorman ’41.
Marcel A. Berube, March 23, 1998.
During the Korean War, Auburn native Marcel Berube served in the U.S. Navy as a dental technician, then earned his B.S. from Bates. He graduated from Tufts Dental School in 1962, opened his dental practice in New Auburn, and for many years was the sole practicing dentist in New Auburn, retiring in 1996. A member of the American Dental Assn. and the Academy of General Dentistry, in 1972 he served as president of the Androscoggin Valley Dental Society, was president of the New Auburn Business Group, and he and his wife, Alcena, co-chaired the St. Louis Carnival that year. He belonged to the local American Legion post, Knights of Columbus, and the Fourth Degree Assembly. Survivors include his wife of 45 years; daughters Linda, Jacqueline, Maureen, and Tina Marie; sons Michael and Mark; 11 grandchildren; and cousins Daniel Dubois ’79 and the late Winnifred Berube Lamphier ’57.
James DeMartine, Jan. 20, 1998.
While James DeMartine attended Bates from 1956 to 1958, he was an outstanding basketball player. He then served for four years as an aviation cadet in the U.S. Navy. An industrial engineer at Ford Motor Co., he worked there for 30 years until he retired. He belonged to the Sarasota Silent Flyers Club and the Vamo United Methodist Church. He leaves his wife, Joyce; sons John and Christopher; two brothers; and two sisters.
James G. Wallach, June 19, 1998.
The chairman and chief executive of Central NationalGottesman Inc., a privately owned pulp, paper, and newsprint marketing concern, Jim Wallach was a member of the College’s Board of Overseers. He became president and chief executive of Central National-Gottesman in 1979 and chairman and chief executive in 1997. He earned an M.B.A. in 1966 from the University of California at Berkeley and joined the Central NationalGottesman organization. He was credited with predicting the growing significance of Asia for the pulp and paper business and oversaw a rapid expansion into Asian markets in the early 1980s. In the mid-1980s he supervised the company’s expansion into sales of paper used in business forms and stationery; the company also sells paper for use in book publishing, magazines, and catalogues.The company is based in Purchase, N.Y., and has sales of more than $2 billion a year. As a Bates undergraduate, he pursued an economics major and played on the varsity tennis team, serving as captain of the squad as a senior. He served as a member of his 25th Reunion Gift Committee in 1990 and joined the Trustees in January 1998. “Jim had looked forward to resuming his connections with Bates, and to his board service,” President Harward said. “His energy, insights, and commitment to the College will be sorely missed.” He was a vice president and a director of the University of Maine Pulp and Paper Foundation and was also on the boards of several Wallach family charitable foundations. Beneficiaries of the family’s philanthropic largess have included Bates, the New York Public Library, the Metropolitan Museum, the Central Park Conservancy, and the American Museum of Natural History. Jim Wallach was born in Manhattan, raised in Scarsdale, N.Y., where he made his home, and prepared for college at Deerfield Academy. He is survived by his wife of 27 years, Mary Kerr Wallach; two sons, Andrew and Scott, both of Scarsdale; his parents, Ira Wallach and Miriam Gottesman Wallach of Scarsdale; a brother, Kenneth, of Manhattan, and two sisters, Sue Wachenheim of Rye, N.Y., and Kate Cassidy of East Hampton, N.Y.
Dean N. Peterson, Feb. 18, 1998.
President of Star Paper Corp. in Haverhill, Mass., Dean Peterson earned his master’s in economics at the Univ. of New Hampshire. An accomplished runner, he participated in road races including many Boston Marathons. He was an active member of Merrimack Valley Striders, recently joined the Haverhill Figure Skating Club, and had coached the Civic Club girls’ soccer team in Hampstead, where he lived. He was a member of the Hampstead Congregational Church. A three-year member of Robinson Players as an undergraduate, Dean Peterson continued his interest in acting and directing in Massachusetts as a member of Quanapowit Players of Reading, the Garrett Players Off-Broadway Theater in Lawrence, and the Living Presence Experimental Theater at Bradford College. During those years, he wrote and directed an original production of Dracula. He directed Angel Street, had a lead in Three Penny Opera, and was Alfred Doolittle inMy Fair Lady. He also broadcast radio commercials. His wife, Greta, survives, as do daughters Rebecca and Emily; his mother; two brothers; and nieces and nephews.
Ilene Avery, March 22, 1998.
Ilene Avery was a member of the Bates faculty from 1950 to 1959, one of the few female professors at that time. She taught Spanish, although her undergraduate degree from the Univ. of New Hampshire was in electrical engineering. She had put the training to good use by working in a defense plant during World War II. She then attended Harvard, earning her M.S. in Spanish. Later she was awarded an honorary Ph.D. from Furman Univ. for her work in Spain with students. During the 1960s she taught at Antioch College and then moved to Madrid where she became director of the International Institute, a cultural center specializing in teaching English to Spaniards. In 1977 she assumed the position of director of Academic Year Abroad, a consortium of some 15 universities. She made her home in Madrid and always welcomed friends traveling in Spain. During her years at Bates she formed many friendships, making yearly visits to the Tagliabues and to Gene ’56 and Kay Dill Taylor ’58, her former student.
Harold E. Hackett, April 19, 1998.
A native of Maine, Harold Hackett was assistant professor of biology at Bates from 1966 to 1974, taught at Cape Elizabeth High School from 1978 to 1991, and taught environmental studies at Westbrook College. He earned B.S. and M.S. degrees from the Univ. of Miami and his Ph.D. at Duke Univ., as well as teacher educational and certification programs from Univ. of North Florida and the Univ. of Southern Maine. Passionate about environmental causes, “Hal” Hackett loved gardening with unusual flowers and hybrids, especially at his summer home on Little Diamond Island. He also was a historian, sketch artist, and water colorist. A world traveler, he led high school tours to Europe, the Soviet Union, and Central America. He was a member of Maine Teachers Assn., International Phycological Society, Maine’s Nature Conservancy, Genealogical and Historical societies, National Resource Council, and Greater Portland Landmarks; he was director of the Gulf of Maine Aquarium, the Oceanside Conservation Trust, and Little Diamond Assn. “He was a Renaissance man,” said his brother, James. “He had many interests and pursued them all with great zeal.” And a cousin noted that “if anything was worth getting his time and energy, it was worth getting passionate about.” He also leaves his wife of 32 years, Linda; son Arthur; and daughter Elizabeth; he was predeceased in 1971 by son Jeffrey.
Ryland H. Hewitt, April 24, 1998.
From 1952 to 1958 Ryland Hewitt taught speech at the College. Both he and wife Rowena (Fairchild ’41) were popular members of the Bates family. Rowena, a speech major, also taught at Bates following graduation. He held B.A., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees from Cornell. A World War II veteran, Professor Hewitt had taught at Colgate, Mount Union, and SUNY/Albany, where he also was director of Northeastern New York Speech Center. After retirement he co-founded and directed Capital Area Speech Center. An avid reader and skilled photographer, he had traveled extensively in the Middle East and had exhibited his photos in many shows. At the time of his death he was staff photographer for Spotlight Newspapers, Delmar. He leaves Rowena and daughters Roxane, Rebecca, and Ruth.
The following deaths recently have become known to the College:
1928 Philip A. Annas, June 2, 1998.
1930 Chadbourne R. Knowlton, May 30, 1998.
Louise Bixby Wright, May 9, 1998.
1932 Margaret MacBride Donaghy, June 8, 1998.
1933 Idabelle Worcester Long, May 17, 1998.
1934 Harry K. Foster, July 4, 1998.
Reuben J. Marvel Jr., May 6, 1998.
1937 Lona Denton Ingraham, Jan. 12, 1997.
Paul G. Morin June 1, 1998.
1940 Bertha Bell Zeigler, Feb. 5, 1998.
Wyman H. Lord, May 29, 1998.
Anne R. McNally, June 20, 1998.
James W. Stratton, May 30, 1998.
Frances Coney Storm May 7, 1998
1941 Elizabeth Puranen Bennet, May 31, 1998.
1942 Helen Mason Lachance, Feb. 4, 1998.
Tressa Braun Peabody, May 16, 1998.
1943 Nancy Gould McIver, April 23, 1998.
1944 Gard W. Twaddle, May 24, 1998.
1947 Walter J. Beaupre, June 15, 1998.
Lillian Lovely Toth, June 11, 1998.
1948 John Ackerman, May 15, 1998.
1952 Kenneth H. Tufts, May 14, 1998.
1960 Judith Sternback Fingado, May 17, 1998.
1962 James D. Nye, May 20, 1998.
1964 James Wallach, June 19, 1998.
1979 Martha Joseph Johnson, July 5, 1998.
Bates values a diverse College community. Moreover, Bates does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, age, or disability in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its educational policies and programs, or in the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff.