Technos Fellowships: Technos International Week in Japan
Deadline for students: 1 March 2018
The Tanaka Memorial Foundation provided an extraordinary opportunity for two students and a faculty member from Bates to experience Japan with other young adults for two weeks at Technos International Week. William Matthews, Alice Swanson Esty Professor of Music, Jiayang Chen ’20, and Nina Flores ’20 represented Bates in June 2017. The Tanaka family’s objective is fostering international exchange and understanding. Bates students are introduced to Japan, its people, and culture. The language used is English. Students and faculty alike have found the experience rich and sometimes life-changing.
In the year following the trip, the Technos Fellows share their experiences of the Technos International Week through visits to various classes and a poster presentation during Parents and Family Weekend.
Selection Criteria: The selection committee reviews applications from students. Student candidates should have:
- a genuine interest in Japan, its people, culture and history;
- an excellent academic record;
- a willingness to meet people from different racial and cultural backgrounds and experience
elements of Japanese culture, living conditions and cuisine which may be foreign;
- no previous travel experience in Japan;
(guest participants should be new to the cultural and geographical elements of the program)
- little or no proficiency in the Japanese language ;
(guest participants are encouraged to use English with their counterparts at Technos College)
- citizenship of the United States of America, United Kingdom, New Zealand or a country whose citizens are permitted similar visa waiver conditions for short-term entry to Japan.
To attend Technos International Week, students should be available during the first half of June.
To Apply: Students applying for a Technos Fellowship should complete the application form and submit a letter or email of support from one member of the Bates College faculty. Applications are due by 11:59 PM on March 1st. Letters of support may be mailed separately but are also due by the deadline to Alison Keegan (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please contact Margaret Imber at email@example.com if you have questions.