Music Composition Work Station
At the Audio Video Desk, it is possible to schedule the use of a music composition workstation or DAW similar to those situated in Olin and it is accessible to the Bates community during library hours. Please click on the following developer’s or manufacturer’s links for demos, tours, guides, and tutorials.
- Digidesign Mbox 2: An Audio/MIDI Interface with 2 Microphone Preamps to use with DAW.
- Digital Piano or Midi Keyboard: An 88 key electric piano with midi I/O for practice, notation, and composition.
- USB turntable: Capable of converting 33, 45, & 78 RPM records to digital music files with the help of Audacity. This tool allows users to convert their old recordings to CD or MP3. It can also be used for Hip-hop/scratch works.
- Audacity: An intuitive audio editing and recording application.
- ASAnnotation: “Visual sound modifier”
- Finale 2014: Music composition and notation software.
- Finale NotePad 2011: Simplified introduction to music notation software.
- GarageBand: Virtual recording studio for a Macintosh. Just open the program for a video tutorial.
- Max MSP: Design your own multimedia editing tool. This intuitive program allows the user the user to design an Audio and Graphic User Interface by selecting control objects and using patches.
- Logic Pro X: Recording, mixing and editing tool.
- Sibelius 7: User friendly composition and notation software.
- Soundhack: Soundfile processing program for Mac.