Transportation to campus
How to find us
Located in Lewiston, Maine’s second-largest city, Bates College is accessible by car or plane.
You’re welcome on campus anytime, but we recommend that you plan ahead so that you can talk to students, join a tour, and meet with an admissions counselor.
- Major airlines serve the Portland International Jetport, 45 minutes from campus.
- Amtrak links Portland and Boston.
- Bus service to Lewiston is provided by Greyhound Bus Lines.
- The Office of Campus Life provides weekly bus trips to different locations within the state of Maine and to Boston, MA. All bus trips are free, except for bus trips to Boston, which cost $10.
To and From Portland Jetport
Portland Jetport Shuttle ($10 each way)
Shuttles to the Portland Jetport and the Portland Transportation Center are available at the beginning of Thanksgiving break, winter breaks, and April break. Return shuttles are also available at the end of each of these breaks, but depart only from the Portland Jetport. This is a contracted service and additional dates/times cannot be accommodated on demand. In the event of a delay or cancellation of your scheduled travel itinerary due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances, please see our transportation page for alternate transportation options. If there is a change in the Jetport Shuttle schedule, you will be notified via email. Refund requests can be initiated through the Eventbrite website and requests will be reviewed and processed upon receipt. We wish you safe travels!
April Break Portland Jetport Shuttle: One-Way TO Portland Jetport/Transportation Center (Deadline to sign-up: Wednesday 4/12 @ 11:59pm)
- Fri. 4/14: 9:00am, 11:30am, and 4:05pm
- Sat. 4/15: 3:45am, 7:00am, 9:00am, 1:00pm
- Sun. 4/16: 3:45am, 9:00am
April Break Portland Jetport Shuttle: One-Way TO Bates (Deadline to sign-up: Friday 4/21 @ 12:00pm)
A & S Limo
- Portland, Maine
- Tel. 207-749-6797
- Email: email@example.com
L/A Cab Service
- Auburn, Maine
- Tel. (207) 689-5080
Maine Limousine Service
Mermaid Transportation offers rides discounted to Bates Students from Lewiston to the Portland Jetport.
Uber operates cars in the Portland and Lewiston-Auburn areas. It connects you with a reliable ride in minutes – one tap and a car comes directly to you. Your driver knows exactly where to go, and payment is completely cashless. For more information, please visit the Uber website.
ZipCar is a great option for students who are able to drive but do not have access to a car. ZipCar is an easy, inexpensive car lending/ rental option for all Bates students, staff and faculty.
To and From Boston, Hartford, and NYC
Traveling by train? Amtrak offers a College 6Tix program. For $86, you will receive six one-way trips on the Amtrak Downeaster. That represents a 50% savings! Trains depart from Brunswick, Freeport and Portland and continue onto Boston North Station. For more information or to purchase the pass, visit http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/multi-ride-passes.
Breakshuttle is a cost-effective option for transportation to Boston, Hartford and New York City.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://breakshuttle.com/collections/bates-college-breakshuttle
Via the Bus Terminal
- Take a taxi to the Congress Street terminal.
- Take a bus to Lewiston.
- Take a taxi from the Lewiston bus station to campus (23 Campus Avenue) if there is not a campus stop.
- Tel. 800-552-8737
- Website: www.greyhound.com