Retirees, employees honored at luncheon
Fourteen retiring Bates employees with a combined total of more than 270 years of service were honored recently at the college’s annual employee recognition luncheon.
Also recognized in the annual program, attended by hundreds of Bates employees and hosted by Bates President Donald W. Harward, were the department of secretarial, mailing, printing and postal services, which won the annual Team Award. Mary Atchison of Lewiston, a staff member in Ladd Library, received the Community Service Award for her work as a literacy volunteer.
Retirees honored, with position and time of service, were:
- Arlene Spugnardi of Lewiston, Dining Services, counter person, 5 years.
- Donald J. Smith of Manchester, Physical Plant, groundskeeper, 7 years.
- Constance G. Picard of Lewiston, Physical Plant, custodian, 8 years.
- Liette C. Vachon of Lewiston, Physical plant, custodian, 12 years.
- Carmen E. Godin of Lewiston, physical plant, custodian supervisor, 12 years.
- Donald E. Bowen of Auburn, physical plant, custodian, 13 years.
- Maurice E. Carrier of Lewiston, physical plant, paint supervisor, 13 years.
- Lorette A. Goulette of Lisbon, dining services, counter person, 15 years.
- Eva F. Rouleau of Lewiston, dining services, counter person, 15 years.
- Frank E. Ford of Mechanic Falls, physical plant, carpenter, 27 years.
- Lois M. Griffiths of Monmouth, Muskie Archives, technical coordinator, 28 years.
- George L. Wigton of Lewiston, physical education, associate professor, 30 years.
- Mary M. Riley of Lewiston, library, special collections librarian, 38 years.
- Walter Slovenski of Lewiston, physical education, professor, 43 years.
Employees observing longtime anniversaries were:
- Thirty years: George L. Wigton, physical education.
- Twenty-five years: Donald R. Lent, art; John K. Pribram, physics; Carl B. Straub, religion; Richard V. Wagner, psychology.
- Twenty years: John W. Creasy, geology; Anne B. Dunbar, library; Carl R. Schwinn, economics; Robert J. Thomas, biology; Richard C. Williamson, French.
Categories: Bates Now, Faculty and staff.
Tags: employees, faculty and staff recognition, retirees.