Vital Statistics: Spring 2010


Obituaries from the Spring 2010 issue of Bates Magazine. Edited by Christine Terp Madsen ’73

William Leon Small
, July 24, 2009
Physics major William Small taught and coached at several Maine high schools, then became principal at the high school in Solon. Following World War II, during which he served in the Navy, he became principal of the Pennell Institute in Gray. At the College, he played basketball and baseball. His wife, Elizabeth (Bette), predeceased him. Survivors include daughters Sylvia Hamblet, Suzanne Anderson, Sherry Lane, and Sandra Kimball; 13 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Peter Alexander Duncan
, Sept. 25, 2009
Peter Duncan, an internationally recognized expert on dysmorphology (birth defects affecting anatomy), continued his research until his death. His last manuscript, on VATER syndrome (referring to five areas in which a child may have abnormalities: vertebrae, anus, trachea, esophagus, and renal), was in preparation for publication when he died. His medical degree was from Yale, and he started his career in pediatrics following Army service in World War II. He founded the Birth Defects Center at Westchester County Medical Center and was on the faculty of New York Medical College in Valhalla. In 2001, he was recognized by his peers in the David W. Smith Dysmorphology Society for his work. In all, he published more than 150 articles and abstracts. Twenty years ago, he recognized the benefits computers could bring to his research and embraced them enthusiastically. At his 60th Reunion, one of his daughters, Peggy Comfort, said the only reason she and her five siblings didn’t attend Bates was that they were sick of hearing all the stories and praise about it from their father. She survives him as do son Peter S. Duncan; nine grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. His wife, Charlotte Mulchay Duncan, and three children, James Duncan, Nancy Duncan, and Michael Duncan, predeceased him.

Ruth MacKenzie Helsher, July 10, 2009
While a student at the College, Ruth MacKenzie Helsher boarded her horse with a local veterinarian and competed in horse shows, continuing to compete in hunting and jumping events throughout her life. After earning a degree in English, she attended Katherine Gibbs for a year before marrying Arthur Helsher ’38. Fluent in Braille, she worked and volunteered as a transcriber. Her husband died in 1993. Survivors include children Judith Schaffer and Richard M. Helsher; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Clarence Louis Martin, Aug. 26, 2009
Chick Martin started out as a copywriter for Wm. B. Remington Inc. and Milton Bradley Co., but soon found his calling as an English teacher. He taught three generations of students at Monson (Mass.) High School and Monson Academy. A published poet, he also had a sideline as a gag writer for cartoons. In 1947, he directed the “America, The Beautiful” national art contest. He furthered his studies at Rutgers, Springfield, and Yale. In 1939, he married Priscilla Jones; she survives him as do children David Martin, Susan Martin, and Jill Barker; three grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Lois Chamberlain Swan
, July 24, 2009
Lois Chamberlain Swan, the daughter of Bates graduates, married classmate Emery Swan, himself the son of an alumnus, in the Bates Chapel a year after graduation. His career as a marine biologist took them to Berkeley, Calif., Friday Harbor, Wash., Durham, N.H., and finally to central Florida. A French major and Phi Beta Kappa member, she taught French at several high schools and worked as a laboratory technician. At the Univ. of New Hampshire, she was the secretary of the sociology department. In retirement, she and Emery enjoyed Elderhostels and were active in Unitarian Universalist congregations. Her husband died in 2001. She is survived by daughters Olive McGregor, Barbara Crossman, and Elizabeth Swan; and their families, including two grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

David Kincaid Lovely, Oct. 22, 2009
Dave Lovely’s studies at Boston Univ.’s School of Medicine were interrupted by two bouts of tuberculosis, reason enough to exempt him from service during World War II. Nevertheless, he enlisted and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Medical Administrative Corps. He specialized in otolaryngology and was chief of otolaryngology at Maine Medical Center and also was on the staff at Mercy Hospital and the Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary. For 35 years, recalled his daughter, Suzanne Friel, he spent Monday evenings in a friend’s basement, working on a vast model train layout. In retirement, he and wife Eleanor toured the U.S., especially the Southwest; avid sailors, they cruised Down East and to Cape Cod. His daughter survives him, as do a second daughter, Carol Perkins; three grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and a number of nieces and nephews, including Andrew Lovely ’75 and Ann Lovely ’07. His wife died two months after he did.

Frank Morey Coffin,
Nov. 21, 2009
“I am to study law with the intention of using it as a tool for social progress. I shall aim at the very top; I pray God that I shall never be blinded from seeing this social goal by any personal considerations.” So wrote Frank Coffin in his journal while a student. He fulfilled his intention. From his luminous four years at Bates through Harvard Law School, from his two terms as a congressman to his work on foreign aid under two U.S. presidents, and through his long tenure as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals, he personified justice and dignity. At Bates, he was only the fourth person to graduate from the College summa cum laude, with a list of activities hinting at a life happily filled to overflowing. After law school, interrupted by Navy service during World War II, he was a trial lawyer in a solo office in Lewiston, then joined Verrill, Dana, Walker, Philbrick, and Whitehouse in Portland. There he found himself the lone Democrat in a firm — and a state — where Republicans held sway. Edmund Muskie ’36, then a lawyer in Waterville, bemoaned the same lack of Democratic presence, so together they revived the moribund party, Muskie ending up as governor and then U.S. senator, and Coffin a congressman. President Kennedy appointed Coffin deputy director of the Agency for International Development, and President Johnson later named him representative to the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development. In 1965, Muskie nominated him to the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals, making Coffin one of very few people to serve in all three branches of the federal government. His 40-year judicial career, including 11 as chief judge, was marked by his staunch support of the Bill of Rights and civil liberties. In Maine, he convinced the state to establish legal services to the poor, “to bring the utensils of a government of laws to the service of a people formerly considered beyond the pale of concern.” He was part of the court that upheld the ruling by Judge W. Arthur Garrity Jr. that ordered Boston schools to desegregate; he also heard the appeal by “The Boston Five” (Dr. Benjamin Spock, the Rev. William Sloane Coffin, and three others) of their conspiracy conviction in draft evasion. His books on judging, On Appeal and The Ways of a Judge, have influenced every aspect of how judges should do their jobs. He received honorary degrees from Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, and the Univ. of Maine, as well as the Maine Bar Assn.’s Distinguished Service Award, the Edwin T. Dahlberg Peace Award from the American Baptist Convention, and the Edward J. Devitt Distinguished Service Award from the American Judicial Society. His wife is Ruth Ulrich Coffin ’42, whose family includes many Bates relatives. She survives him as do children Nancy Kurtz, Douglas Coffin, Meredith Coffin, and Susan Babb; and six grandchildren, one of whom is Morey Hallett ’07. His other “family” members are his many former law clerks who, in the words of one, consider Frank and Ruth to have been “a model of marriage and family, maintained in the midst of meaningful involvement in the big world.”

Fannie Longfellow Campbell, Aug. 29, 2009
When the U.S. entered World War II, Fannie Longfellow Campbell enlisted in the Women’s Army Corps, expecting to train in languages. But poor eyesight disqualified her, so she returned home, married Ralph Campbell and together they ran a service station in Litchfield for nearly 30 years. A history and government major at the College, she was a life member of the Kennebec Historical Society. She satisfied her love of reading by working at the Corner Music and Book Shop for many years following her husband’s death. She was a lifelong member of the All Souls Unitarian Church in Augusta. Survivors include son Douglas; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Robert Remo Simonetti, Sept. 27, 2009
Even though he was elected mayor of Bates, even though he was pool champion all four years, and even though he played football and baseball, Joe Simonetti said the best thing about Bates was that he met the woman he would marry. He and Esther married before he entered the Army during World War II, where he was awarded the Bronze Star. His career was with General Electric as a production supervisor. He also coached youth baseball, played tennis, and bowled. His wife predeceased him. Survivors include children Ronald Simonetti, Barbara Dailey, Andi Nesselhauf, and Carol Hamilton; 10 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Sumner Bernard Tapper, March 5, 2009
Sumner Tapper did what many only dream about: He chucked a successful career to start over again as a teacher. With his Bates degree in English and master’s in education from Northeastern, he became a high school English teacher in Stoughton, Mass. An accomplished writer (he’d been a publicity writer at a mattress company before becoming its vice president), he also advised the newspaper and yearbook staff. He received a certificate of honor from the Norfolk County (Mass.) Education Assn. in 1985 and was its Journalism Teacher of the Year and Teacher of the Year at other times. In addition, he was honored at two community testimonials in Stoughton for his interfaith work. He wrote plays for both his temple and the Congregational church in Stoughton. He taught writing for 24 years at Northeastern. He also graduated cum laude with a degree in biblical studies from Hebrew College in 1973 and received two awards for his work there. He was predeceased by wife Ruth Goldberg Tapper and son Lawrence Tapper. Survivors include son Stephen Tapper ’73; five grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Patricia Bradbury Baldwin
, June 23, 2009
When her youngest child started kindergarten, Pat Bradbury Baldwin started school herself, as an elementary teacher. She retired nearly 20 years later, immersing herself in sculpting and painting. She and husband Chandler Baldwin ’42 also enjoyed traveling and Elderhostels in retirement. An English major at the College, she held a master’s from Penn State. As an alumna, she served as an officer in both the Philadelphia Bates Club and the Ocean Park Bates Club. Her husband survives her as do children John Baldwin ’67, Mary Baldwin Urquhart ’77, and Tracey Newhall; 12 grandchildren; several great-grandchildren; and brother Arthur Bradbury ’49.

John Albert James, Aug. 31, 2009
Johnny James graduated from Bates with a biology degree but with no money for medical school, his lifelong dream. So the merchants in his hometown of Auburn donated funds for his first year and told him to repay them when he could. And he did: He spent most of his professional career as an obstetrician/gynecologist in Auburn, delivering, with his partner, an estimated 20,000 babies, including nine of his own grandchildren. The Army paid for the rest of medical school, a debt he repaid with service during both World War II and the Korean War. He was president of the staff at Central Maine General Hospital (now Central Maine Medical Center), where he was also chief of the ob/gyn department, and was on the staff of St. Mary’s Hospital and an active member of the boards of Tri-County Family Planning, Androscoggin Home Care and Hospice, and the school of nursing at CMMC. President of his class as a student and as an alumnus, he also worked with Bates students interested in medical careers and served as an adviser to the College’s healthcare facility. He and his wife, Barbara Moore James ’44, maintained a large vegetable garden at their home in Auburn. He is survived by children Judith Upham, Susan Dowe, Barbara Mora, Jonathan James, and Richard James; 14 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. His late brother was Dana James ’48. Another son, Peter James, predeceased him.

Minert Nelson Thompson
, July 31, 2009
An economics major, Tommy Thompson enlisted in the Marines before graduation and served during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War, the last as commanding officer of a reserve battalion. He retired with the rank of colonel. He combined his military service with a career first with pharmaceutical companies and then with insurance companies, primarily as a regional director for Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co. In 1947, he earned an M.B.A. from Harvard. He finished his career by forming his own consulting company, named after his first wife, the late Crete Woodard Thompson ’45, in whose memory he established an endowed Bates scholarship fund. As a student, he ran track and was an officer on the student council, including president his senior year. As an alumnus, he served as class president and an OCS adviser and co-chaired the 50th Reunion gift committee for his class. Survivors include second wife Betty; children Jeffrey N. Thompson and Karen Jeffrey; several grandchildren; and sisters Orma Thompson Austin (the widow of both Finley Cogswell ’43 and Stanley Austin ’43) and Joan Herman.

Norman Myrton Lloyd
, Jan. 14, 2009
Like many other men in his class, Doc Lloyd had his years at Bates interrupted by service during World War II. In his case, it worked out well: When he returned to the College, he met the woman he would marry, Marjorie Hobart ’49. He returned to the Marines during the Korean War and then went to work as a test pilot, becoming chief of flight test. (He was the test pilot for the Kellett KH-15 “Stable Mabel,” a one-seat helicopter propelled by hydrogen peroxide and steered only with “body English.”) At Bates, he was one of the red-blazered Bobcats, playing tenor sax. He hauled out that sax for his 60th Reunion. His wife survives him as do daughters Tracey Tyler, Barbara Miles, and Jamie Finger; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Phyllis Miller Shapiro, Aug. 20, 2009
Born and raised in Auburn, Phyllis Miller Shapiro transferred home to Bates after attending the Univ. of California. Her degree was in French. That, combined with a master’s in education from the Univ. of Maine, gave her a career teaching French in Lewiston public schools and at Bliss College. She was active in Beth Abraham Synagogue and Beth Abraham Sisterhood. She was predeceased by husband Harold Shapiro ’33. Survivors include sons Max Shapiro and James Shapiro; and brother Herbert A. Miller ’38.

Rita Boris Wilkins
, Aug. 8, 2009
Reet Boris Wilkins was a joiner: At the College, she was president of the Ramsdell Society and a member of the Heelers, the campus service committee, the Newman Club, and WAA. She was on the board of The Mirror and a biology assistant. As an alumna, she served as secretary of the New Jersey Bates Club. She volunteered for the Grant County (Ind.) Assn. of Workers for the Blind and was honored in 1977 as its volunteer of the year. In 1980, she received an award from the governor for her service to youth. Following graduation she worked as a research assistant at E.R. Squibb & Son until 1954, when she became a full-time mother, and then as a real estate broker in New Jersey and Massachusetts. Survivors include husband G. Sanford Wilkins; son Gregory Wilkins; and two grandchildren. A son, Thomas Wilkins, predeceased her.

Kenneth Herbert Drummond, July 21, 2009
A California native, Ken Drummond arrived on campus his freshman year driving a convertible and wearing clothes not even adequate for Maine’s September weather. But it was World War II, not the weather, that forced him to leave after two years. Still, the College remained his “first love.” Part of the Navy’s V-12 program, he became a commanding officer of a landing craft (infantry) in the Pacific.
His experiences triggered an interest in oceanography, leading to studies in zoology and oceanography at the Univ. of Arizona and Texas A&M, serving as senior scientist on many of the latter’s oceanographic research cruises before moving to the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, where he established a satellite tracking program for the U.S. (The system was first used when the Soviets launched Sputnik.) Later, he worked for Texas Instruments, Teledyne, and Ensco. In 1987, he became the director of special projects at the Center for Wetland Resources at Louisiana State Univ. For 25 years, he served as class agent and as an adviser to OCS. Survivors include his second wife, Patricia Kenney Drummond; children Laurie Drummond, Finlay Drummond, Carter Drummond, and Tracy Burgess; and three grandchildren.

Clifford Keith Wilbur, Oct. 11, 2009
Keith Wilbur found ways to combine his interests and skills throughout his life. A doctor with a deep interest in history, he researched medical practices during the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. An historian with artistic skills, he illustrated many of his 14 books himself. An artist with medical training, he supplied the makers of the movie Cider House Rules with the requisite antique medical props. He also hand-carved replica Native American canoes, a bust of Jonathan Edwards that toured nationally, and fireplace bellows used in another movie. He owned and operated The Doctors Bag, a medical, dental, and apothecary antiques business, and co-founded the 6th Massachusetts Continental Regiment. With his first wife, Ruth Asker Wilbur ’46, he wrote a history of Edwards Church in Northampton, Mass., where they lived. A native of Cranston, R.I., he was inducted into its hall of fame in 1988. He practiced family medicine in Northampton from 1953 to 1985, and was on the staff of Cooley Dickinson Hospital and Smith College Infirmary, and received the physicians achievement award from the American Medical Assn. He served in the Navy as a sub-chaser captain during World War II, and served as class president as an alumnus. Ruth Asker Wilbur died in 1998. In 2000, he married Sarah Adkins MacFarlane ’46, who survives him as do children David Wilbur, Carol Wilbur Menke ’71 (and her husband William Menke ’69), Bruce Wilbur, and Jody Kinner; stepchildren Bruce MacFarlane ’74, Scott MacFarlane, and Kirk MacFarlane; sister Janet Wilbur Blake ’51; cousin Jaclyn Greene Olson ’07; and 14 grandchildren.

Nunzio Ernest Parisi
, Aug. 23, 2009
Nunzio Parisi enrolled with his twin brother, Herbert Parisi, but both left to enter military service after two years. He received his undergraduate degree from Colby and his osteopathic degree from Still College. He practiced with his brother in Pennsylvania and then with the VA in San Diego and Fort Lewis, Wash. His survivors include two children, Allan Parisi and Teresa Martin, and numerous grandchildren.

Winifred Thomsen Lowry, July 16, 2009
Winifred Thomsen Lowry used her degree in chemistry in the field of food science and held senior positions in food services at IBM and in public schools. At the College, she was secretary of the Lawrance Chemical Society and an assistant in the department. Survivors include husband Richard Lowry; children Linda Hay, Thomas Lowry, and Janet Garrett; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. Her late sister was Elaine Thomsen Eigelsbach ’50.

Walter Orrin Davis,
Nov. 5, 2009
Walter Davis and wife Lois MacKinnon Davis ’50 always returned to Maine, no matter where his 40-year career with General Electric took them. He grew up in Boothbay Harbor, which became their retreat every chance they got. A physics and math major at the College, he entered GE’s postgraduate physics program and its financial management program. He was a financial budget manager and a consultant in federal tax accounting, among other titles, for the company. In retirement, he volunteed for SCORE and Coastal Enterprises in Maine, and for the IRS/AARP volunteer tax program in Arizona, where they lived for half the year. He also gave generously of his expertise to First Parish Church in South Portland. His wife survives him as do sons Randy Davis and Scott Davis; a granddaughter; and sister-in-law Jean MacKinnon Rogers ’52.

Daniel Raymond Cloutier,
Aug. 19, 2009
Next to his picture in The Mirror are the words, “Would Like To Be An Economist.” And that is exactly what Ray Cloutier did. Magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Bates, he received a master’s in economics from the Univ. of Michigan and a doctorate in political science from the Univ. of Alabama. He served in the Army during World War II as a master sergeant in the 39th Infantry in Germany. He stayed on in Paris to work on the Marshall Plan. In Alabama, he was instrumental in developing its tax system; he also researched sales tax law for the state of Maine. On the national level, he conducted a program for the Labor Department involving homeless people in 12 cities. He later became the chair of the business administration department at George Washington Univ. Survivors include wife Elizabeth Magee Cloutier; son Paul Cloutier; stepchildren Jennifer Loving Thomas, Graham Loving III, and Candace Stafford; and two grandchildren.

Dorothy Gaylord Shea, Nov. 2, 2009
Doffy Gaylord Shea enjoyed a busy life as a Girl Scout leader, superintendent of her church’s Sunday school, vice president of its women’s fellowship, and vice president of the PTA before she started a teaching career. She earned a master’s in education from UMaine–Orono in 1967 and taught in Brunswick. She and husband E. Merritt Shea ’49 volunteered for Youth With a Mission, Wycliffe Bible Translators, and Teen Mission, work that took them across the U.S. and to Europe. She was proud that they also held regular annual reunions with six other Bates couples. Her husband predeceased her. Survivors include daughters Janet Legg, Karen Abbott, and Sally Lunt; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

John Karayianis Krane, Feb. 15, 2009
John Krane grew up in a house on Wood Street (now owned by the College), the child of a Lewiston shoe worker. He served in the Air Force during World War II before college. He earned a master’s in education at Salem (Mass.) State College (while running two stores and owning a potato chip factory), then taught at Denver’s community college. He earned an Ed.S. and doctorate from the Univ. of Northern Colorado. He was divorced from Elizabeth Georges Krane ’53. Survivors include second wife Nita; and children Vicki, Tina, Peter, and Sparti.

Lewis Lee Millett, Nov. 14, 2009
The story of Lewis Millett’s life reads like a movie script. Discouraged when FDR insisted that the U.S. would not get involved in World War II, he deserted his National Guard unit and enlisted in the Canadian Army, where he was sent to a covert school to learn how to read radar, then a top-secret technology. By the time his unit reached England, however, the U.S. was in the war, so Millett returned to U.S. forces. He was court-martialed, convicted, fined $52 — and immediately promoted to second lieutenant. By that time, he had seen action in North Africa and Italy. He came to Bates after the war; in fact, Bates’ war veterans can thank Lewis Millett for leading the way. After the war, the story goes, President Phillips and others were anxious about having the older, potentially unruly veterans on campus. So Dean of Admissions Milton Lindholm ’35 had Millett tour the campus, resplendent in his dress uniform, to wow members of the administration and quash their fears. Millett left the College just shy of graduation when he was recalled to the Army. In Korea in 1951, he led his troops into a battle with singular historical significance: It was the first and last significant bayonet charge since the Civil War. Millett had heard that the Chinese troops believed the Americans were afraid of using bayonets, so he trained his men to use them. The charge panicked the Chinese troops and won decisive victory, with few casualties, for the Americans. He received the Medal of Honor for his leadership during that battle. During the Vietnam War, he organized reconnaissance patrol training for South Vietnamese troops, having previously developed advanced techniques at the request of Gen. Westmoreland. In addition to the Medal of Honor, his honors include the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit (three times), the Bronze Star, four Purple Hearts, the Croix de Guerre from France, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. His wife predeceased him. Survivors include children Lewis Lee Millett Jr., Tim Millett, and Elizabeth Millett; and several grandchildren. Another son, John Millett, died in a plane crash while returning from military service in the Sinai Peninsula.

Albert William Simpson, July 23, 2009
Bill Simpson, following his exceptional All-New England basketball career as one of the leading scorers nationally, could have been a Celtic when Boston’s fledgling professional basketball team drafted him. But he turned down the team. “The NBA didn’t look like it was going to be anyone’s career,” he told the Student in 1986. But basketball remained part of his life. He formed and ran, for nearly 25 years, the first women’s summer basketball league in New Jersey, and played senior ball well into his 80s. His team went to the biannual U.S. Senior Olympics at least seven times and won one gold, two silver, and two bronze medals. In 2000, he was inducted into the Auburn-Lewiston Sports Hall of Fame. He was an advertising executive with Popular Mechanics for 10 years before forming his own company that published foreign-language trade magazines. He came to the College after serving as a Navy pilot in the Pacific during World War II — in the service he played baseball with Ted Williams and basketball against Hall of Famer George Mikan. A member of the College Key, he was class president during the 1970s and was an OCS career adviser. His wife, Joyce Lyon Simpson ’50, survives him as do children James Simpson, Kenneth Simpson, Steven Simpson, Richard Simpson, and Patricia Simpson Webster; and six grandchildren.

Constance Stanley Kaminsky, April 2, 2009
“Plans to be a reference librarian,” reads Connie Stanley Kaminsky’s Mirror. And that is exactly what she did. Adding a degree in library science from the Univ. of North Carolina to her A.B. in English, she worked at libraries in New York, Maryland, and Pennsylvania, most notably in West Chester, Pa. She also kept this magazine honest, writing gentle notes about erroneous statements that found their way into print, enclosing reference material to back her corrections. In West Chester, she was active in church and community. Survivors include children Alan Kaminsky, Eric Kaminsky, and Judith Redding; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Lorna Tilton Flanders, June 2, 2009
Lorna Tilton Flanders loved Martha’s Vineyard, where she was born, grew up, and lived for more than 30 years in a house on a site she and her husband, Richard Flanders, another Vineyard native, had selected years earlier. When she wasn’t living on the island, she took it with her, through her gardens especially. Her degree in biology was no doubt useful as she cared for what some called the best vegetable and flower gardens in her suburban Long Island neighborhood. A musician, she was the organist at Chilmark Church for many years. Regarded as an expert on island history and legend, she was also known for her “tar-paper cake,” a concoction that layers unsweetened chocolate on top of a yellow cake with butter cream frosting. (The cake was so popular at family and church functions that its diehard aficionados would hide it from others, and competition for corner pieces was fierce.) Her
husband died in 1978. Survivors include children Steven Flanders and Martha Thurlow; five grandchildren; sister-in-law Frances Crandell Flanders ’56; and nieces Christine Flanders-Fielder ’80 and Julia Flanders Thorpe ’84.

Clayton Earle Heath
, Sept. 22, 2009
Tim Heath came to Bates after service as a radioman and gunner in a Navy torpedo squadron during World War II. He lived most of his life in Norway, Maine, where he was an insurance agent and real estate agent. He owned the David A. Klain Insurance Agency for many years and was active in many aspects of community life in Norway. Named Realtor of the Year by the Western Maine Board of Realtors, he served that group as its president and was also a past president of the Norway Chamber of Commerce and the Weary Club of Norway, which, being unique to that town, describes itself as “makers and dealers in cedar shavings, social gossip, political wisdom, and Yankee philosophy.” He also was a former trustee of Stephens Memorial Hospital, a former director of the Maine Publicity Bureau, and a former trustee of Norway Savings Bank. Survivors include wife Helen Tamlander Heath; children Diana Nadeau, Lauri Roode, and Melinda Heath; seven grandchildren; and one great-grandchild. A son, James Heath, died in 2000.

Ingeborg Reibling MacDougall, May 23, 2009
Inky Reibling MacDougall was a five-year nursing student at Bates who, 30 years after graduation, earned a master’s in psychiatric nursing from Boston Univ. She worked at the Veterans Administration hospital in Bedford, Mass., with a specialty in alcoholism, and found herself drawn more and more to family counseling. She taught swimming and CPR in Lexington, Mass., and volunteered for more than 30 years at the Children’s Center of Lexington. Her long service was honored in 2008 with the endowment of a scholarship in her name. At the same time, a bench in the First Baptist Church was dedicated in her honor. She also was deeply involved in Habitat for Humanity and Lexington Affordable Housing. Her husband, H. Blenus MacDougall ’48, died in 1977. Survivors include children Linda MacDougall, Jo Ann Babcock, and Glen MacDougall, and five grandchildren. Another grandchild predeceased her.

Carol Johnson Schwarzer,
Sept. 14, 2009
Carol Johnson Schwarzer’s first career was raising five children. During those years, she created a clown character, Lollipop, partly to amuse her own offspring and partly to entertain at events. Lollipop, who always had a lollipop for each child, remained with her long enough to entertain her own grandchildren in their classrooms. Once her children were old enough, she turned to a second career, creating the department of public relations at Nashoba Community Hospital in Ayer, Mass. She also became a lay minister at St. Andrew’s in Ayer and was instrumental in bringing the Cursillo course to it. In 1982, she and husband Peregrin (Perry) Schwarzer ’48 opened an art gallery in Littleton, Mass. She joined the Littleton Rotary Club, became its first woman president, and later was elected the first woman Rotary district governor of central Massachusetts. Her husband is among her survivors as are children Kurt Schwarzer, Christopher Schwarzer, Peter Schwarzer, Peregrin Schwarzer, and Karen Hamilton; 11 grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and an “adopted” daughter, Setsuko Nishikawi.

John Robert Creamer,
Sept. 22, 2009
He worked on The Bates Student for only one year, but journalism was John Creamer’s career. He wrote for the Boston Record American, the Herald Traveler, and the Boston Herald — the same newspaper as it merged with rivals. His beat was local and national politics. He came to Bates after Navy service in World War II, majoring in English. Throughout his life, he lived within an easy drive of the ocean, and especially enjoyed spending the day on Plum Island (Mass.) with his family. His wife predeceased him. Survivors include children Timothy Creamer, Michael Creamer, Kerri Creamer, and Patrick Creamer; and six grandchildren.

Paul Denis Levesque, Nov. 7, 2009
A Lewiston native, Paul Levesque entered the Army after high school and served in Europe until the end of World War II. He returned to Lewiston to attend Bates, graduating with a degree in economics. He started his career in accounting at the Bates Mill and later worked for Raytheon. In 1967, he became the financial controller and later treasurer at Hunt Manufacturing Co. in Statesville, N.C. He retired in 1990. Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1963, he resolutely fought the progressing disease and also overcame lymphoma. While still a student, he married Constance Bernier, who survives him as do children Christine Levesque, Katherine Levesque, Ann Grasso, and Steven Levesque; and six grandchildren.

John Willard Ames
, July 14, 2009
“Well-equipped for his calling,” reads his Mirror biography. His calling was to the ministry, and he served the United Church of Christ for over 30 years. A philosophy major, he received a master’s from Andover Newton Theological School in 1956. He served as the pastor of churches in Wilton, Maine, Great Barrington, Mass., Rockledge, Fla., and Springfield, Mass. In fact, churchgoers at South Church in Springfield can study the Bates seal during services because it is one of the stained glass windows there; the church has a tradition to honor its senior pastors this way. In Springfield, he and wife Susan Martin Ames ’52 led tours, most to Europe, for church members. After moving to Sarasota, he became the associate CEO of Plymouth Harbor, a retirement community, and then its interim CEO before retiring in 1998. As an alumnus, he was president of the Franklin County Bates Club and served on Reunion committees. His wife is among his survivors as are children Katherine Ames-McCormick ’82 and J. Craig Ames.

Richard Lucien Breault, Aug. 11, 2009
Since he grew up in Lewiston, it was always assumed that Dick Breault would attend Bates. It was also assumed that he would become a teacher. The plan went smoothly — until professor John Donovan introduced a State Department officer to his students. That set Dick on a new course. He graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa in history, and received a master’s in international studies from Johns Hopkins in 1954. Following Army service, he was a legislative assistant to U.S. Sen. Frederick Payne, R-Maine, and then a budget analyst with the U.S. FDA. In 1964, he joined the staff of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, retiring as senior vice president for policy in 1992. A member of the College Key, he was a class agent and Reunion volunteer. He supported himself through Bates with an unusual summer job: He ran the concession stand atop Mount Cadillac and lived at the Jordan Pond House. Among his survivors is his sister, Claire Levesque.

Harold Gordan Howard, Sept. 16, 2009
H. Gordan Howard, an economics major, held management positions in New England Telephone Co. and TEK Bearing Inc., before becoming a commercial lighting sales representative for Northeast Manufacturer’s Associates. In 1987, he formed his company, the Gordon Howard Agency. He served in the U.S. Army before coming to Bates, and maintained a lifelong interest in history, current events, and classical music. Active in the Masons, he was a 50-year member of the Auburn Lodge. His wife, Jane Goff Howard, died in 2003. Survivors include children Lisa Howard and Kevin Howard; and one grandchild.

Charles William Steele, Aug. 1, 2009
Bill Steele’s career was in the automotive industry — he worked for 33 years at General Motors in Ohio — but his life centered on his work with the Gideons and other Christian groups. A government major, he also held a degree from Tri State Univ. in Indiana. He was part of the charismatic renewal several decades ago in Ohio and was president of the Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship International. After retiring to Brunswick in 1987, he taught Old and New Testament classes at the Maine Street Baptist Church. In 1984, he received the prestigious Kettering Award from GM. His first wife was Barbara Ericson Stevens ’55. He married Joan Martin in 1971; she survives him. Other survivors include sons Andrew, John, Scott, Mark, and Charles; and nine grandchildren.

William Hayden Wyman, Oct. 8, 2009
Forced to choose between football and basketball because of the College’s academic workload, Bill Wyman chose football. But it was basketball that would, in part, define his life’s work. He completed a master’s in education at Springfield College after his sociology degree from the College, served in the Army, and then became a teacher and basketball coach at Laconia (N.H.) High School. His first team won two and lost 22 — good practice, he thought, for down years later on. He eventually returned to his home court at Oakmont High School in South Ashburnham, Mass., where he remained for 26 years, teaching history and racking up over 400 wins on the court; in retirement, he helped the team scout rivals. His wife, Carolyn Snow Wyman ’54, died in 2004. Survivors include sons David, Stephen, and Charles Wyman; and five grandchildren.

Joyce Gray Allman
, July 16, 2009
Joyce Gray Allman was the last of the family of Clifton Daggett Gray, Bates’ third president, to attend the College. He was her grandfather, and her parents, Malcolm J. and Marian Ripley Gray, were both members of the Class of 1926. Born and raised in Maine, she married the day after graduation and lived 10 more years in New England, then fled the cold with her mother and children to Florida. There, she taught elementary school and married for the second time, to Hal Allman. She was a volunteer at the Humane Society. A Spanish major, she was active in musical groups and the Spanish Club. Survivors include daughter Linda Bazell; stepsons Randy Allman, Tom Allman, and David Allman; and seven grandchildren. Son David C. Wilcox predeceased her.

Nancy Walker Stover, Aug. 21, 1009
Nancy Walker Stover dedicated 25 years to raising her two daughters before becoming personal secretary to Leonard Nelson at the noted Maine law firm Bernstein, Shur, Sawyer, and Nelson in Portland. She retired to The Atrium and eagerly followed the Red Sox, Patriots, and Portland Pirates. At the College, she was class secretary and a drum majorette. She also played basketball. Her marriage to Leon Stover ’55 ended in divorce; he died in 1998. Survivors include daughters Lisa Bertelson and Trae Jackson; and two grandchildren.

Adrien Roy Auger
, March 25, 2009
In 2007, Adrien Auger ruminated about choosing to attend Bates: “Why would a Roman Catholic and captain of his high school tennis team matriculate at Bates, of all places?” There were few other Catholics on campus in the ’50s, he says, and the tennis courts were snow-encrusted until April. If he had gone to Stanford, “I might have become a world-class tennis player,” rather than an attorney in a high-stress job. Had he gone to Stanford, he never would have gone to law school at Georgetown, never would have flunked the Massachusetts bar exam twice, never would have moved back to Georgetown and passed the bar exam there, and never would have met Mary Clare Parkin, married her, and had five children. “God works in wondrous ways,” he wrote in his 50th Reunion book. His career was with the FCC, where he was chief of the legal and tariff branch, the complaints and service standards branch, and telecommunications enforcement. His faith remained important to him. He and his wife were deeply involved with Marriage Retorno, a weekend prayer experience for married couples, and helped prepare couples for marriage in the Catholic church. He kept his tennis game sharp by competing in USTA tournaments. His wife survives him as do children Brian Auger, Michael Auger, Anne Biggins, Jeanne Durso, and Jacqueline Bergman, and seven grandchildren.

Marilyn Goldsmith MacDuffie, Sept. 20, 2009
Marilyn Goldsmith MacDuffie attended Bates for just over a year, long enough for her to meet and marry the Rev. John MacDuffie ’53. Together they served UCC congregations in Litchfield and Chatham, Ohio, and in Raymond, Casco, Westbrook, Augusta, Greenville, and Rockwood, Maine. For 11 years, they managed Pilgrim Lodge, a camp run by the church. In 1995, they moved to Bernard, Maine. She was active in Literacy Volunteers, running its Maine hotline for eight years. Her husband survives her as do children John Paul MacDuffie, Alan MacDuffie, Margaret Kedzierski, and Sarah Hundertmark; and six grandchildren.

Spencer Bradford Hall, June 2, 2009
Spencer Hall, an economics major, entered the U.S. Army after graduation and served two years. He then joined the insurance industry, becoming superintendent of claims for Aetna, from which he retired after 25 years in 1984. A golfer, bowler, and softball player, he coached Little League and Pony League teams. His first marriage, to Nancy Allen Nichols ’57, ended in divorce. In 1976, he married Linda Vrablic. She survives him as do children Elizabeth Herberick, Katherine Sosnowski, Steven Hall, and Michael Hall; and six grandchildren. His son Kenneth died in 1963.

Selma Koss Holtz, Sept. 9, 2009
Selma Koss Holtz turned herself from sociology major into an entirely self-taught expert on American Impressionists, especially those who worked in New England’s art colonies. She maintained no office, operating entirely out of her station wagon, and regularly made the rounds of auctions, antique shows, and estate sales looking for hidden gems. Her collection included works by N.C. Wyeth, Lilla Cabot Perry, and Rockwell Kent. She was especially interested in works by John Joseph Enneking. Many area museums are benefactors of her art gifts, including the Bates Museum of Art and the Ogunquit Museum of American Art. Hospitalized near the end of her life, she sent nurses out to buy works at auction. Her marriage to Norman Holtz ended in divorce; he died several years ago. Survivors include children Herbert Holtz and Jane Holtz; and two grandchildren. The Ogunquit Museum plans a memorial exhibition in her name this spring.

Doris Jane Maeser
, Sept. 23, 2009
Doris Maeser dedicated her life to educating people who are blind. Shortly after graduation, she started work at Perkins School for the Blind near Boston, earning a master’s in education at Boston Univ. at the same time. She taught briefly in Isfahan, Iran, and then moved to New Jersey to work for the New Jersey Commission for the Blind. In 1965, she was chosen to lead an experimental class for blind and mentally challenged students, the first of its kind in the state and the model for a dozen others that soon followed. She retired after 27 years with the agency. Her partner of 30 years, Sidney Armstrong, died in 2008.

Wilma Dufton Corning
, Aug. 16, 2009
Billie Dufton Corning worked for many years at her husband’s business, The Monkey Farm Café (formerly the Saybrook Inn), in Old Saybrook, Conn. After they divorced, she became an administrative assistant at several software companies, retiring from Computer Associates in 1996. She lived in Lakeland, Fla., until her death. Survivors include children Debra, Laura, and David Corning; and four grandchildren.

Sara Chatterton Snoek,
July 26, 2009
A week before she passed away from complications of leukemia, Sara Chatterton Snoek completed her 100-lap workout in a pool during a cruise to Norway. She competed regularly in Masters swim competitions, placing as high as 11th in world competition. She brought the same dedication to her study of the piano, managing to always find a place to practice while traveling or living abroad. (She finagled her way into the piano bar during off-hours on that same cruise ship.) At the College, she sang with the Choral Society and was on the Outing Club board. An English major, she studied ballet in New York and worked as a nurse’s aide and library assistant. She also sang and danced in some of the Marin (Calif.) Opera’s productions, and was part of SingersMarin and her church choir. Her love of hiking led her to Colorado; on a hike in the Rockies she met her future husband, Peter Snoek. He survives her as do children Jonathan and Daniel Snoek. Other survivors include a grandchild born just weeks before her death.

Joseph Betts Murphy, Aug. 5, 2009
“Nine more days,” said an immigrant from China to a reporter from the Norwich (Conn.) Sunday Bulletin. “We’ve got to find a way to make him change his mind!” He was speaking of Joe Murphy’s impending retirement as director of adult education in Norwich in 1996. Under his leadership, some 8,000 adults earned high school diplomas, including immigrants from 37 countries. With a psychology degree from Bates, he thought he was headed for a career in finance, but an educator in Norwich tapped him for a teaching position. Eight years later, in 1974, he took on the new agency, which offers services to residents of 16 towns as well as to residents of Norwich, one of the state’s poorest cities. At the College, he lettered in baseball and basketball and captained the basketball team as a senior. In 1983, he was inducted into Norwich’s Sports Hall of Fame. Among his survivors are his wife, Anne Zocco Murphy; daughters Pamela, Karen, and Lauren Murphy; and four grandchildren.

Daniel Elwood Stockwel
l, Sept. 15, 2009
Dan Stockwell twice received the Carnegie Medal for Heroism — one of just four people, out of 7,600 medal recipients, to win it twice — not that he would tell you about it. Classmates and contemporaries no doubt remember the first time his heroism emerged: when Steve Quattropani ’65 was swept into the frigid, wild surf at Popham Beach in May 1963. Dale Hatch ’66 drowned trying to reach him. Dan, a lifeguard, hastily tied a makeshift rope around his waist and reached the unconscious Quattropani, and other students pulled the two of them out over barnacle-encrusted rocks to safety. Twenty-eight years later, he reacted with the same cool confidence when he strode into a classroom at Monadnock Regional High School in New Hampshire, where he was the principal, to convince a distraught teenager armed with a rifle to take him as hostage rather than the 15 students in the room. His first medal arrived through the Bates campus mail without ceremony; his second came via UPS, the only fuss being a picture snapped with the deliveryman. This quiet bravery came from the same man who often vomited up breakfast before heading off to teach his first year. “Brave is not not being scared,” he told his wife, Merry Webber Stockwell ’65. “Being brave is being scared and doing what you have to do.” He earned a master’s at Fairfield Univ. in 1968, then became assistant principal and later principal of Tilton-Northfield High School, now Winnisquam, where an annual award in his name honors a senior who shows promise in improving the quality of education. In 1989, he became principal at Monadnock, where a scholarship carries his name. He retired in 2005. Survivors include his wife; children Michael Stockwell, Daniel Stockwell ’89, and Carolynn Parker; two grandchildren; and his twin brother, David Stockwell ’64. Other survivors include a cousin, Clayton H. Gilmore ’78, and sister-in-law Carolyn Webber Nelson ’62.

Jeffrey Ellsworth Lewis
, July 20, 2009
Jeff Lewis attended Bates for two years and then graduated from C.W. Post College in 1967. He worked for U.S. Steel and later for the New Jersey Office of Information Technology. Among his survivors are his wife, Geri D’Aquila, children Cynthia Lewis, Gregory Lewis, and Christine McLaughlin; and their families, including five grandchildren.

Susan Charlotte Smith-Shapiro
, July 30, 2009
High school and college valedictorian, Phi Beta Kappa, summa cum laude, Presidential scholar, Phi Sigma Iota: Susan Smith-Shapiro pushed herself to the top of whatever she did, just as she pushed her students to excel. She was so loved by her students that they set up a page on Facebook in her memory, which, at last count, had 642 members. In addition to her degree in French from Bates, she held a master’s in French from the Univ. of Minnesota. She taught for 37 years at Oyster River High School in Durham, N.H. She was a member of the Londonderry United Methodist Church and First Parish Congregational in Dover. Survivors include husband Neil Shapiro; mother Charlotte Smith; and sister Sandra Salmi.

William Augustus Strong Hammerstrom
, Sept. 23, 2009
A government major, William Hammerstrom entered officer training for the Marine Corps shortly after graduation and served as a pilot in Vietnam. He later became an aviation safety training officer with the Marines. At the College, he played soccer and intramural sports, and was chair of the Men’s Council as a senior. He was senior vice president at Aultcare in Canton, Ohio, and served as president of the Northeast Ohio West Point Parents Club; his daughter is a graduate. His survivors include wife Phyliss Hammerstrom; children William Hammerstrom and Anne Margit Hammerstrom; mother Ruth Strong Hammerstrom; and one grandchild.

Stephen Craig Woodard,
Aug. 24, 2009
Steve Woodard, a psychology major, made his career with the U.S. Postal Service, serving in many capacities, including 29 years in Skowhegan, until retirement in 2005. During that time, he served as president of the Maine Chapter of National Assn. of Postmasters. He was an avid fan of thoroughbred racing and enjoyed traveling. Among his survivors are wife Joanne Parent Woodard; son James Woodard; and parents Harry and Janette Woodard.

Alfred Charles Celetti,
Nov. 14. 2009
“Big Al” Celetti loved rocketry. He founded the Canaveral North Assn. on campus and wrangled a seat at one of the Apollo launches in 1972 as guest of U.S. Sen. Margaret Chase Smith of Maine. His hand-built rockets won awards at national competitions. But when personal computers came along, he became deeply involved with them, forming a computer users group in Auburn in 1983, one of the first in Maine. At the time, he was a chemist at W.S. Libbey Co. in Auburn. In 1989, he joined Amerbelle Corp. in Connecticut as a color systems manager, and in 2001 he joined H.P. Hood in quality control. A double major in chemistry and biology, he was also active in the Newman Council and was the staff photographer for The Bates Student and The Mirror. Survivors include wife Pauline Bussiere Celetti and daughters Andrea Celetti and Amy Celetti.

George William Young Jr., Aug. 19, 2009
George Young enjoyed two simultaneous careers: one as an occasional musician — sometimes with C. Michael Ladd ’76, sometimes at a reunion of his Bates band, Catharsis — and the other as a health officer in Framingham, Walpole, and Foxboro, Mass. At Bates, he was on the indoor and outdoor track teams and received a degree in biology. He also held a master’s of education and a master’s of public administration from Bridgewater (Mass.) State College. He started as chief inspector at the Framingham Board of Health in 1979, and became the health administrator in Walpole five years later. In 1988, he took the same position in Foxboro, remaining there until retirement in 2008. His emphasis was on education and prevention — he instituted programs to inform residents of the importance of maintaining their septic systems, rather than waiting until they failed. He was president of the Massachusetts Environmental Health Assn., receiving its Dr. Joseph Goldfarb Award in 1998. In 2005, he received the Dr. Leon Bradley Award from the National Environmental Health Assn. Survivors include brother Jonathan Young ’75 and his wife, Nancy Johnson Young ’75.

Robert Stafford Kidwell
, Feb. 24, 2005
With a bachelor’s in physics from Bates and a master’s in physics from URI, Bob Kidwell launched a career encompassing several cutting-edge technologies. He developed high-intensity lasers for Control Laser in Florida, fiber optic gyros for Andrew Corporation and KVH Industries in Chicago, and positioning sensors for Ascension Technology Corp. in Vermont. He was a bird watcher and gourmet cook. Survivors include wife Valerie George ’77 and parents Ruby and Alfred Kidwell.

Michael David Berzon
, Jan. 17, 2009
Michael Berzon, a psychology major, was part of a discussion group that recommended the formation of an Interfaith Council designed to link the major religious groups on campus. For many years, he was executive vice president at Parker Page Associates, an executive recruiting company, before forming his own company, Organized Time. His mother, Norma Berzon, survives him.

Thomas Hedley Reynolds
, Sept. 22, 2009
Hedley Reynolds was known for his nearly three decades of transformational leadership at two Maine educational institutions. He served as president of Bates from 1967 through 1989, and of the University of New England from 1990 to 1995. His success as commander of an armored unit in the Mediterranean theater of World War II came to symbolize Reynolds’ qualities as an academic leader: far-reaching vision, decisiveness, and energetic determination. At Bates, Reynolds presided over a regional school’s evolution into a national liberal arts college now regarded as one of the nation’s best. He led Bates to strengthen its faculty and curriculum, add such key facilities as a modern library and arts center, diversify its student body, and eliminate the SAT requirement. “He brought a renewed sense of confidence and purpose,” says John Cole, a faculty member who arrived soon after Reynolds and now holds an endowed history professorship bearing Reynolds’ name. “He enlarged this place, invigorated it, professionalized it.” Reynolds left retirement to become the third president of the University of New England, serving five years. He earned his bachelor’s in political science at Williams College in 1942 and enlisted in the U.S. Army, and was decorated for his service as a unit commander in a tank battalion that fought in the Mediterranean theater. After the war, he earned a master’s degree in 1947 and a doctorate in history in 1953 from Columbia University. Reynolds joined the history faculty at Middlebury College in 1949, becoming dean of men in 1957, and dean of the college seven years later. At Bates, “his core interest was developing the quality of the faculty, and consequently the quality of the curriculum and of the undergraduate experience,” says Carl Benton Straub, a professor emeritus of religion and the Clark A. Griffith Professor Emeritus of Environmental Studies. Straub served as dean of faculty under Reynolds for 15 years. Reynolds led Bates in diversifying its student body — academically, geographically, ethnically, and racially. It was during his tenure that the College ceased to require that student applicants report their SAT scores, a move that widened the range of accepted students without affecting academic standards, as later Bates studies showed. Reynolds’ tenure at Bates saw the construction of a new library, an arts center, a field house, and the conversion of the former women’s athletic building into the Edmund S. Muskie Archives. Known on campus as a private man, Reynolds was a voracious reader and an outdoorsman who enjoyed skiing, tennis, and particularly sailing. Survivors include his wife of 24 years, Mary Bartlett Reynolds; children, of his first marriage to Jean Lytle of Randolph, Vt., Thomas Scott Reynolds, John Hedley Reynolds, and Tay R. Simpson; and a sister, Elizabeth Reynolds Henderson. A son, David Hewson Reynolds, predeceased him.

Frederick G. Taintor, Aug. 21, 2009
The College counsel for 22 years, trustee emeritus Frederick Taintor used his legal expertise to help the College in numerous ways: creating the Bates–Morse Mountain Conservation; helping oversee the acquisition of the papers of Edmund S. Muskie ’36; and settling the estate of Joseph Underhill ’17, which provided funding for Bates’ skating rink. After serving in the U.S. Army in Panama and Puerto Rico, he received his bachelor’s and law degrees from Yale, where he met Jane Skelton, part of the Skelton family whose history is intertwined with that of Bates. They married in 1951 and moved to Lewiston, where he joined his father-in-law’s firm, Skelton & Mahon (now Skelton, Taintor & Abbott). During his life in Lewiston-Auburn, he served as director, trustee, or officer of an exhaustive assortment of corporations and civic organizations. He was known for his unshakeable integrity as well as for his home-baked breads and hand-turned wooden bowls. His wife survives him, as do children Frederick S. Taintor, Anne Taintor, Elizabeth Taintor, Christopher Taintor, and Ellen Taintor; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

John Bates Annett
, Nov. 9, 2009
Jack Annett served as assistant to the president at the College for 23 years, working with presidents Charles F. Phillips and T. Hedley Reynolds, and once declared that each was “right for his time.” He graduated from Colgate in 1939 with a degree in political science, and served aboard the USS Doyle during World War II. He left Bates to return to graduate school at Syracuse. Returning to Maine in 1972, he taught history at Edward Little High School for 10 years. He and his wife, Dorothy, were honorary members of the Class of 1953. She predeceased him. Survivors include children Carol Rorick and Patricia Annett; three grandchildren; and several great-grandchildren.

View Comments