What to Do if You are Feeling Sick

Dear Students,

With the academic year in full swing, I am writing with a reminder about steps you should take if you’re feeling sick.

What should I do if I feel sick? 

If you are feeling ill or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, you should not go to classes or other campus activities, and instead call Bates Health Services (BHS) at 207-786-6199. 

What will happen when I call BHS?

When you call Health Services, you will speak with a medical staff member who will assess your symptoms over the phone and determine if you should be seen at BHS for an appointment. 

If you come in for an appointment at BHS, you will see a provider who will assess your symptoms and determine next steps, including a COVID-19 Antigen test if medically necessary.

Based on your symptoms, BHS medical staff will determine if you should or should not be attending classes in person. If necessary, BHS will raise an Illness flag in BatesReach to indicate to your faculty that you should not be in class for a specific period of time. 

BHS medical staff will then make a plan for your follow up based on your symptoms and any diagnostic testing completed.

What if BHS is closed when I call or email?

If you call BHS after 5:00 pm on a weekday or over the weekend, you will receive the BHS voicemail. To speak with a medical provider, follow the voicemail prompts to connect to the medical provider on call at Central Maine Medical Center. You can read additional information about after hours and weekend resources here.

To whom should I direct questions?

Should you have any questions, please email me at healthservices@bates.edu

Thanks for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Brenna Callahan
Student Health Support and Outreach Specialist
Bates Health Services