Grant Reimbursement Guidelines

Bates Student Research Fund

Keep a diary and save your receipts!

Remember:  No Receipts, No Money!!

Reimbursements are made AFTER your expenses happen!

1.  Air travel. For assistance in making travel arrangements, the College has chosen Dube Travel (1-800-879-3823 / 207-784-2916) as a preferred vendor but travelers may choose to make arrangements through online vendors, directly with airlines or through a variety of other means consistent with keeping expenses to a minimum. When requesting reimbursement for air travel, the original airline ticket receipt must be provided and/or electronic payment receipt plus the boarding pass if possible. Reimbursement can only be sought for air travel after the actual travel has taken place.  

2.  Registration/Abstract Fees. Your grant will cover the cost of conference registration, special events (like banquets), and abstract submission fees.

3.  Receipts. You must save all your receipts. If the receipt does not show what was purchased, then each item needs to be indicated on the receipts with the corresponding amount.  A credit card receipt with just the total is not acceptable; the receipt must show the actual expenses of what was bought. Also, a credit card statement is not considered a receipt unless the particular item is indicated on the statement. For conference attendance, you must provide a copy of the brochure or program from the conference attended.

4.  Shared Expenses. If you share your travel by car, your room, or other expenses with another student or a faculty member, only the person submitting the original receipt will be reimbursed – you will have to settle the bill among yourselves.  These receipts that cover more than one person’s expenses must indicate the names of the people involved in these expenses and the amount that each person was responsible for. If you share expenses, no reimbursements will be processed until all members have turned in their receipts.

5. Meals. The College reimburses you up to but not exceeding $60.00/day for meals, for which you must submit receipts. When total meal expenses do not exceed $35.00 per day, meal receipts are not required. NOTE:  The College will not reimburse you for any liquor expenses.

6. Travel by Car. If you drive your car, you will be reimbursed at $0.655/mile. A MapQuest printout needs to be submitted for verification of mileage. If you travel with another person, the owner of the car will be reimbursed.

7.  Human Subjects Reimbursements. To reimburse human subjects, participants should sign a statement that indicates the name of your project with the dollar amount given for the services. Due to federal tax laws, monetary or material compensation may not exceed $25 per person. This paperwork can be completed on one form with multiple signatures. Before turning in statement for reimbursement, project advisor needs to also sign off on it.  (If this project involves confidentiality, then a statement minus participants signatures but not the advisor’s is acceptable.)

8.  Confederates, Models, Transcribers, or Other Assistants.  Please contact Alison Keegan before the arrangement is made to make sure that the person is eligible to receive payment.  Any student who aids you with your project and will be paid for his/her services needs to be paid through the payroll department so therefore proper paperwork from the student employment office needs to be completed.  If the assistant is not a Bates student, he/she is paid through the Account Payable office and must submit an invoice for services.

9.  Reimbursement. At the end of your grant, original receipts and the appropriate form, Travel Expense Form (if travel is involved) or Payment Request Form (if no travel is involved) to Alison Keegan,, in the Office of the Dean of the Faculty (117 Lane Hall) for reimbursement.  **If your expenses are processed through your department (e.g., ordering chemicals, specimens, scientific tools, etc.), please let the Dean of the Faculty’s office know of this arrangement in order for your grant funds to be transferred to the department’s student research budget.  Please Note:  This is only for expenses that your department needs to order – all other expenses must be submitted to the Dean of the Faculty’s office for reimbursement.