As an institution with a mission to prepare leaders sustained by a love of learning and a commitment to responsible stewardship of the wider world, Bates College welcomes veterans to apply for admission.
“Our nation needs liberal arts–educated officers in the ranks. Without a doubt, Bates College made me the leader that I am today.…It is clear to me that my worldview and leadership style are different from what I see from my peers.”J.J. Cummings ’89, 34-year veteran of the U.S. Navy and commanding officer of the world’s largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford.
- See our application checklist for a comprehensive list of required application materials.
- We understand that for some applicants, recent instructors, supervisors, and/or employers may be better suited to write current letters of recommendation than high school teachers. Accommodations can be made in these cases.
- We ask that you submit transcripts from all completed academic work, regardless of their eligibility ability to transfer (see next bullet point for details).
- As a leader in the test-optional movement for over three decades, standardized testing (such as the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, and the ACT) is optional for all students applying to Bates.
- Eligible students can obtain and submit a fee waiver from the Common Application, Coalition Application, ACT, College Board, or NACAC. Additional eligibility guidelines for use of this waiver can be found here.
- Learn more about our transfer credit policy.
- Bates is committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated financial need for all students. Take a quick, accurate look at your eligibility for financial aid with the MyIntuition College Cost Estimator.
- Find a list of required financial aid application materials.
- Bates is a proud participant of the Yellow Ribbon Program for Veterans or Dependents of Veterans. Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program at Bates.
- Admission: Tyler Lussier, Associate Dean of Admission, email@example.com, 207-786-6009
- Student Financial Services: find your financial aid counselor
- Registrar’s Office: firstname.lastname@example.org, 207-755-5949
As part of our mission to educate and transform lives, Bates has dedicated a newly-constructed plaza to honor the service and sacrifice of Bates veterans. J.J. Cummings ’89, U.S. navy commanding officer, was the keynote speaker for the virtual dedication of the plaza, culminating a project that began in early 2018. The midday livestream, seen below, also featured college President Clayton Spencer, U.S. Rep. Jared Golden ’11, professor Jane Costlow, Janell Sato ’22, Multifaith Chaplain Brittany Longsdorf, and retired Facility Services staff member Danny Sands, a member of the committee that developed the project.