Art, creative writing, dance, film, music, and theater supplements may be included in your application to Bates. Supplementary materials can only be uploaded after you have submitted your application to Bates and received a PIN providing you access to your application status portal. Please contact Admission Counselor Liam Tran (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about the portfolio process.
1. For static work– i.e. paintings, drawings, ceramics, photographs, etc.,–the applicant should submit six to ten pieces. Please include the medium and dimensions of each piece.
2. For time-based work–i.e. video, animation, etc.—the applicant should submit pieces of work which do not exceed 5 minutes in total running time.
*If a student submits both static and time-based work, then each individual time-based item would count as one towards the total portfolio number of 6-10 pieces. The same time limit of 5 minutes total running time for time-based work applies to a portfolio containing both static and time-based.
1. Five pages of fiction or creative non-fiction (double-spaced)
2. Three pages of poetry (single-spaced).
1. One to two short videos–1-4 minutes each–featuring performance, ideally of the applicant’s own choreography.
*These videos should ideally feature a solo or small group performance where the applicant is clearly identifiable. If the student is performing within a group, please make sure to indicate which performer you are. Please include the genre (i.e. jazz, modern, tap, ballet, etc.) under which you would classify the submitted piece.
1.Two videos per applicant–5 minutes in running time or less for each film.
*If an applicant has a piece that is longer than 5 minutes, please submit an excerpt from it. If it is not clear, please make it known how the applicant has contributed to the film.
1. Two to four performance samples which will total no longer than 10 minutes.
*Excerpts should highlight your individual ability as opposed to your ability to perform within a musical group. If the student is performing within a group, please make sure to indicate which performer you are. Please include your instrument, the title of the piece you are performing, as well as the composer of that piece in your supplement.
1. One to three pieces which highlight the breadth of your creative work.
2. Actors may submit videos of either a live performance or a monologue performed in isolation. All actors should indicate your role/character, the play from which your piece comes, and that pieces’ author/playwright.
3. Those involved in set, lighting, costume design, or stage management are able to submit design images, technical production documents, or videos documenting their work.
4. Directors are able to submit video documentation of their production(s) as well as a written statement on those concepts which inform their directorial choices. All videos should not exceed 3 minutes each.
Files Sizes and Types
Although we technically support media files as large as 2 GB, please be advised that larger files will take longer to upload from your Internet connection and may stall if you are on a wireless connection or one that cannot sustain a connection for the necessary period of time. Uploaded documents may contain no more than 75 pages. We support the following file formats:
- Video: .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .wmv
- Audio: .aac, .aif, .aiff, .iff, .fla, .m4a, .mpa, .mp3, .ra, .wav, .wma
- Slide: .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .tif, .tiff
- Document: .doc, .docx, .odg, .odp, .odt, .pdf, .ppt, .pptx, .rtf, .wpd