June 2021 Update: The Bates-Morse Mountain Conservation Area is open to the public.
Before making your trip to the Conservation Area, please consider checking the status of our parking lot at bmmparking.com. Note that once the lot is full, we turn additional vehicles away and letting in cars that arrive after others have left is up to the discretion of our staff.
In order to preserve the natural communities of the Bates Morse Mountain conservation area and promote research activities, we ask that visitors respect the following guidelines.
- Access is during daylight hours only. When the parking lot is full, additional cars will be turned away. There is no additional parking in the area. During the summer months, the parking lot is often full by 10 AM. Please plan your trip accordingly.
- Enter on foot only. The only vehicles allowed are those of researchers, residents, staff, or services.
- Bathroom facilities are not available on site. Nearby public beaches provide these amenities: Head Beach at Small Point – 2 miles south on Route 216; Popham Beach State Park on Route 209.
- Leave no trace. Carry out everything that you carry in.
- Dogs are not allowed. No dogs (or other domestic pets) are allowed in any season.
- Fires and camping are prohibited.
- Do not bring: Beach umbrellas, cabanas, radios and similar appliances, balls, kites, or bicycles.
- Stay on the road and the hard beach surface. Do not climb on the rocks and ledges, or go into the back beach or dunes to protect fragile natural communities.
- Respect ongoing research. Please do not disturb or remove markers, plants, or animals.
- Protect the piping plovers and least terns. These birds nest and raise young on the beach sand. If nesting birds are disturbed, they may abandon their eggs or chicks. Please stay on the road or hard beach surface, away from marked nesting areas, and away from any birds showing protective behavior.
- Please do not go past the red pole on the beach. The pole is at the dune edge, about a half-mile west (to the right) of the beach entrance.