Who We Are
Bobcat Ventures is a series of training, coaching and mentoring events and programs leading up to an annual pitch competition. It is organized each year by the Center for Purposeful Work and a group of hard-working students dedicated to growing the entrepreneurial landscape at Bates. We work with alumni, faculty, and staff all year long to prepare a program that will help teams refine their idea, project or business, and pitch it successfully in the spring.
Abby Segal ’23 with Magic by Abby Segal
Jacob Iwowo ’23 with Up Next Academy
Richie Nuzum ’23 and Gus McAllister ’23 with Crave Swipe
Grace Biddle ’23, Ella Blum ’24, Kami Lambert ’23 with Nesca$h
David Ingram ’24 with Indexify; Jacob Iwowo ’23 with Up Next Academy; Grace Biddle ’23, Ella Blum ’24, Kami Lambert ’23 with Nesca$h; Vova Sosnovskii ’26 with Maine Boost; Abby Segal ’23 with Magic by Abby Segal; Julia Newell ’26 with Hear You Know Me; Richie Nuzum ’23 & Gus McAllister ’23 with Crave Swipe; Bobby Dall ’23 & Ciaran Bardong ’22 with Dose.
Matt Perejda ’14 (founder), Creighton Foulkes ’17, Mike Mulach ’15, Michelle Pham ’15, Phathu Rambau ’17, Rokya Samake ’15, Shanina van Gent ’18, Ned Moreland ’19, Cris Thompson ’19, Julien Lewin ’20, ElKhansaa Kaddioui ’20, Kerrry Manuel ’21, Andres Carranza ’21, Pierson Rambush ’22, JDaniel Kim ’22, Christopher Euston ’23, Jeff Gao ’23, Kemunto Ongera ’23
2023 Alumni Judges:
Chris Barbin, Founder & CEO, Tercera
Ben Schippers, CEO & Co-Founder, HappyFunCorp
Emma Sprague, Co-Founder & Director, Upswing Strategies
BIG thanks to these Alumni Speakers and Mentors:
Pranav Ghai, Co-Founder & CEO, Calcbench, Inc.
William Loopesko, Co-Founder/CTO Aclymate
Fergus Moynihan, Product Manager, Raven Health
Mark Langer, CTO, Artyc
Carine Warsawski ’07, Founder, Trybal Gatherings
Daniel Barsky, Partner, Holland & Knight
Joe Miller, Founder and Principal, Miller Clearly, LLC
Sam Abrahamson, co-founder onomy.co
Sam Huleatt, Director, On Deck Angels
Todd Kozikowski, CRO, Pivotal Analytics
Newell Cotton ’92, COO N America, H3 Dynamics
Ian Edmundson ’92, CFO, Quit Genius
Allen Kendunga ’18, Founder & CEO, Talent Match, Inc.
Erin Lydon ’92, Managing Director/GM, Poker Powher
Mbali Ndlovu ’09, Founder, Lukafit
Michelle Pham ’15, Chief of Staff, Strategy & Operations Lead at TikTok
Jon Steuber ’08, Co-Founder, Valpo Surf Project
Past Years Judges
- 2022 Judges: Emma Sprague ’10, Ben Schippers ’04, Pranav Ghai ’93
- 2022 Judges: Emma Sprague ’10, Ben Schippers ’04, Chris Barbin ’93
- 2021 Judges: Emma Sprague ’10, Ben Schippers ’04, Chris Barbin ’93
- 2019 Judges: Emma Sprague ’10, Ben Schippers ’04, Chris Barbin ’93
- 2018 Judges: Jennifer Guckel Porter ’88, Chris Barbin ’93, Ben Schippers ’04
- 2017 Judges: Chris Barbin ’93, Reid Christian ’12, Tasnia Huque ’12, Ben Schippers ’04
- 2016 Judges: Dan Vannoni ’05, Ross Brockman ’11, Jack Keigwin ’59
- 2016 Keynote Speaker: Graham Veysey ’04
- 2015 Judges: Victor Otley ’83, Patrick Jackson ’11, Ross Brockman ’11
- 2015 Keynote Speaker: Matt Perejda ’14
Some of Our Past Winners
Nook Storage’s peer-to-peer online marketplace offers the most affordable and convenient storage space. Nook Storage saves students money, monetizes auxiliary space for hosts, and brings together the communities of college towns. College students are all too familiar with the struggle of finding affordable and nearby spaces to store their belongings over the summer. Nook was launched by George Delana ’19 to alleviate this struggle.
Herban Works is a social enterprise launched by Ali Rabideau ’17 at Lewiston’s Center for Wisdom’s Women. Women at the Center grow herbs in downtown Lewiston and manufacture healing salves, teas, salted herbs and lavender eye pillows.
Blended, a mobile smoothie cart idea to serve the Bates community by combining healthiness with convenience. When Commons is closed before athletics or a long night in the library, Blended will be there to provide you with a healthy, hydrating, energy-boosting and delicious smoothie.
Green Line Productions is an aerial videography and photography production company based in Maine. Using drones with our own software, our company provides customized videography and photography services for private events as well as the real estate, construction, and tourism industries.
Lightyear Strategies is dedicated to simplifying the process of digital branding. We do so by creating cost effective, user friendly websites for our clients on platforms such as Squarespace, Weebly, and Shopify.
SpotShot is an iOS application used to create an overlay image from a video.
In The News
- ‘AIRBNB for Storage’ Idea Takes $10,000 Top Prize in Bobcat Ventures Competition
- Greenlight Maine College Edition
- Bates News | Student’s Social Enterprise Pitch Wins 9K Bobcat Ventures Competition
- The Bates Student | Bobcat Ventures: the real Shark Tank
- Bates News | Bates in the News: April 8, 2016
- Bates News | With at least $5,000 in the offing, student entrepreneurs pitch business ideas