During the unexpected and trying conclusion of their senior year, the members of the Class of 2020 have made us proud with their resilience and commitment to one another. Through this year’s virtual Commencement on May 31, we will honor, in an exceptional way, our exceptional class of soon-to-be Bates College graduates.
News & Updates
- ‘We got you. We got each other:’ Words of encouragement to the Class of 2020, from a millennial professorTake it from millennials and a multitude of Black authors: You are not alone, writes English professor Therí A. Pickens.
- Bates College graduates 463 in historic virtual Commencement ceremony
- Watch LiveThe 154th Commencement of Bates College is at noon, Eastern Daylight Time, May 31, 2020.
- Faculty and Staff Messages to the Class of 2020Over 100+ Bates College faculty and staff members submitted personal videos to congratulate the Bates Class of 2020 as they prepare to graduate from Bates on the College’s 154th Commencement.
- A Pause to AcknowledgeBates President Clayton Spencer, VP for Equity and Inclusion Noelle Chaddock, and Bates Multifaith Chaplain Brittany Longsdorf take a moment to reflect and pause as our nation grapples with the recent, yet sadly familiar events, of continuing race-based violence. “This weekend, as we celebrate the many accomplishments of the Bates Class of 2020, it is important that we acknowledge the…
- Bates Athletics Senior Student-Athlete CelebrationJoin us as we honor the #Bates2020 seniors with a virtual awards ceremony.
- Senior Cookbook RecipesYou can download the complete Senior Cookbook of recipes here, or download individual recipes below. Baklava Bates Bobcat Sandwich Bates Crunchy Turkey Melt Bates General Tso’s Chicken Bates No Bake Cookies Bates Italian Almond Cookies Bates Paws Granola Bates Scallion Chicken Sautre Bates Salted Toffee Bark Bates Vegan Blueberry Muffins Bates Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies Bavarian Apple…
- Class of 2020 by the NumbersFour hundred and sixty-three members of the Class of 2020 are set to graduate on Sunday, May 31. 37 States (plus D.C.) represented 38 Students from Maine 52 Countries represented (including U.S.) 32 Receiving departmental honors 41.5% varsity athletes 12.3% first generation to college 63.9% studied abroad* * Defined as a semester or more. Academics The Class of 2020 has…
- Class of 2020 Ivy Stone Installed: ‘Congratulations!’For Bates mason Ron Tardif, installing the class ivy stone each May is a labor of respect for the graduating class.
- Slideshow: 17 happy, proud, wacky Bobcat portraits
- Q&A: Senior Speaker Alexandria Onuoha ’20 and her hope that ‘Bates has students who love all people’
- Celebrate With Bobcat Lawn SignsWant to show your Bobcat pride? Celebrate your graduate with these lawn sign designs. Just download and order through your local copy & print business. 12×18 PDFs Proud of a Bates Grad! Proud Bates Grad! Proud of my Bates Grad! 12×18 PNGs Proud of a Bates Grad! Proud Bates Grad! Proud of my Bates Grad! 18×24 PDFs Proud of a…
- Bates Cooking Class Episode 3: Salted Toffee Bark, Vegan Pad ThaiExecutive chef Owen Keene continues our series of how-to videos on favorite Bates dishes for the Class of 2020.
- With ‘The EngAging Project,’ Grace Ellrodt ’20 Aims to Ease the Ache of Loneliness in Old AgeFeaturing Ellrodt’s own photographs and interviews, “The EngAging Project” is an impressive new resource for lonely elders and those who support them.
- Vanessa German to Offer Greetings at CommencementVanessa German is a dynamic and versatile artist whose exhibition “Miracles and Glory Abound” appeared at the Bates Museum of Art in 2019–20.
- Bates Cooking Class Episode 2: Omelettes, Corned Beef HashCooks Joseph Graziano and Bradley McArthur host Episode 2 of a Dining Services cooking show for the Class of 2020.
- Bates Cooking Class Episode 1: Scallion Chicken, Salted Toffee Bark, Italian Almond CookiesSous chef Michael Staffenski and head baker Daisy Taylor kick off a multi-episode cooking show as a gift to the Class of 2020.
- ‘Bobcat Box’ Delivery and Pickup for On-Campus SeniorsIn recent days, 460-plus Bates seniors around the world have received their Bobcat Boxes, filled with items for their Commencement on May 31, including gown, cap, tassel; a Bates pin from the college; and a 2020 class flag and Nalgene bottle, both selected by the senior class co-presidents. The box also included a letter inviting parents and loved ones to…
- A Message from Senior Co-Presidents to Classmates“We are cognizant of all that we have to be thankful for,” write the Class of 2020 co-presidents. “Nevertheless, we know that it is extremely hard not to think of the unfairness of it all and the pain we know that many of us feel.”
- 2020 FAQsThe 154th Commencement of Bates College is at noon, Eastern Daylight Time, May 31, 2020. The ceremony will be conducted remotely via livestream.